Am I the only one that wont take Meds?

LilMissTragic

I was wondering, do you all take some sort of medication for your SP?
I myself wont take any, I dont feel its right for me.
For those of you on medication, has it helped and do you suffer any side effects?

Yossarian

I don't take meds missy. I've only tried seroxat but I didn't like it. I guess it did calm the symptoms of anxiety slightly but it didn't do anything for the fear itself. The biggest problem was I would miss getting a repeat prescription on time and the withdrawal symptoms were horrible. Also I had weird, vivid, unsettling dreams. I did those test the nation IQ tests on telly and when I was on meds my IQ was about 12 points lower, despite being tipsy and running to the toilet on the other one. I felt sharper when I came off them altogether so I'd rather stay that way. Plus I couldn't ejaculate on seroxat, which may well be more than anyone wants to know but you did ask Trazza :D

LilMissTragic

Hey make it all as informative as possible, a lot of people thinking of going on those drugs need to know all possible side effects!

LilMissTragic

I was thinking of taking a homeopathic remedy, until i realised they all got lactose in them. I'm lactose intolerent, typical!

-Jp

i'm not taking meds, i have tried some in the past but they didn't work.
the only one i've used succesfully used is diazepam. but it's no solution

since i know i have sa and i learned there are threatments to overcome it ii'm not considering meds anymore

LilMissTragic

i'm allergic to diazepam, they gave that to me a few months back after i had a metal post fall onto my back... I was more ill from the meds then the accident..lol.

JWH

Nope, I get paranoid about all the suicides. I've never been suicidal and don't want to start now. If I need to take some in the future for certain situations I will go for a temporary one.

wistful_dementia

I took paxil (seroxat). It help pretty well with the anxiety, but, not really with any underlying thought processes. I just got done (I hope I'm through!) with withdrawing from it. The withdrawls suck! Feelings of electric shock in my head and depression were my biggest withdrawl symptoms.

Eventhough I think that drugs are might be good for shorterm use, I kind of woder if there are any long term dangers to paxil or any other drug or herb. Do any of you know if there have been any long term studies done on paxil?

Regardless, I think this time I am going to tuff it out without meds. I think CBT is best for real, long term change. I'm scared; hold me 8O

shep

wistful, I think you are on the right track. For years, I have thought of meds as a last resort and I managed to go without so far. I'm retired now so maybe I'm through the rough bits. I'm often amazed at how quickly some people will start with meds for sp and for all sorts of other things and even in combination. Paxil has a warning with regard to use on minors and it is clear that before the growth cycle ends, the brain chemistry among other things are different from adults. Paxil and other drugs that affect brain chemistry (or that's what I percieve they do) should, in my opinion, be taken with much greater caution then they are and only when other forms of therapy has failed. I also do not think that they should be used in order to "survive" the stress and strains of going to college or uni. I do know that in some cases, meds are beneficial and have even saved lives so they are important when circumstances call for them. Good luck -- you made it this far! :wink:

Anonymous

take prozac....i had seroxat for a while they made me worse. i feel good on the prozac

seroxat(paxil) and prozac are basically the same. these drugs affect you differently depending on your mood. our moods go in cycles. if you take these drugs at the beginning of an up cycle you will credit the drug. bottom line, they don't work.

Anonymous

I had sp for very long time, I've tried a lot of drugs no one helped (paxil, solf, lexapro, clonazepan) the last one helped some, but the effect was temporaly and I stared to loose hair and memory problems. Since I started Lamictal everything chaged. Im on Lamictal fo about a year since then. The effect is Prologed all day, the side effects are mil compared to other drugs. I recomend this one wich is a mood stabilazer.

Crimefish

I've been allergic to medication in the past. I took azathioprine for crohn's, and it made me deathly ill to the point where my family had to keep checking to make sure I was breathing. But I kept trying different meds til I found one that worked.
And that's gonna be the same with SA. I'm not gonna rule out all drugs just 'cause one doesn't work for me, or just because some people have responded badly to them. Those people are not me.
What are you gonna see in the newspaper? "Prozac success story" or "Prozac suicide"?

Anonymous

worrydoll said:
i take prozac....i had seroxat for a while they made me worse. i feel good on the prozac. i also take herbal stuff that really helps. passiflora (natracalm) and valerian (natrasleep).

hi I was taking prozac for 3 years and stopped because I got very deppressed (sounds silly as it is an anti deppressant) and i couldnt stop scratching myself I was so itchy it got to a stage where it was really embarrassing and I had terrible scratch marks all over my body. Since I stopped taking them Im not itchy and Im not as depressed. but finding it hard to cope taking nothing. I have tryed St Johns wart herbal drink, but I think I would need to be drinking gallons of it to help my sp behaviour. I am going to try the two herbs you mentioned and see how they help.