Am I a bad person for doing this?

SomeMillennial

Okay, so as many people know, back in April, there was a whole week of chaos. The Boston Marathon Bombings, the West, Texas fertilizer plant explosion, mailings of ricin to government officials, and of course the events tied to Monday on Friday of that week.

That Friday, there was a big showdown that happened. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was cowering in some poor man's boat amid a police standoff, as the whole town of Watertown was on lock down after a massive manhunt that turned deadly in the early hours of Friday morning, and continued throughout the day. And of course, there was live coverage of the standoff on pretty much every single news station in the U.S that evening. The anchors were talking about Dzhokhar, and saying how "vital the situation was," and how it could "only end two ways." But as I was watching the whole thing unfold, I felt fear. I did the only thing I could do, and prayed that he live. I remember praying that Dzhokhar not do anything stupid, just surrender peacefully. And, I prayed that if he did do something, there would be no more bloodshed. It had been a bad enough week. The standoff did end well, and while he recovered in the hospital, I prayed for him to get well. And, he lived to see 20. He's still alive.

Please note that I'm not claiming responsibility for his speedy recovery. I think the fine staff at the hospital he was in was responsible. But, after the bombings, I read articles on the Internet to educate myself about this family. I wanted to know the motive, their story, the whole nine yards. However, upon seeing so many hateful comments after the articles about him like "If I could only get my hands on him!" or "I wish that Muslim trash was dead and in Hell with his brother!!!" makes me wonder. Did I do the wrong thing by praying for Dzhokhar?

Now, don't get me wrong, what he and his brother did were horrid. I'm not justifying their actions. I never have, and never will. They have ruined so many lives. Four families will never see their daughters or sons again. Over 250 people lost their limbs, got seriously wounded, or worse. (I don't hate Muslims either. I just don't like radical people from ANY religion at all.)

I don't even know him. I never will know him, as much as I would like to just sit down and talk to Dzhokhar, to know how his reaction to someone like me is. But, all that being said, am I a bad person for praying for him?

I'm only bringing this back up because of the recent outcry about the cover picture on Rolling Stone magazine.

Let me know what you think below, because opinions matter to me. And, please don't be hateful to others. Also, if you have any questions, ask away! I'll be happy to answer all of your questions. (Sorry for any grammatical, or informational errors I've made!)

I don't think you're a bad person for praying for him/them. I didn't, however, because I chose to pray for their victims and their families. I reckon I'm a bad person but I'd love to get my hands on him. Anyone who chooses to make their political statement by blowing up innocent people running a race shouldn't be shown any mercy, in my opinion, but we are a nation of laws and due process even at times when I wish we were not. I reckon if anybody feels compelled to make a political statement, you do it within the law: i.e. writing letters to politicians, protests, boycotting, voting, et cetera. Not setting off bombs. But back to the topic at hand, it's your right to choose who you pray for. My wife prayed for the shooter AND victims of the Newtown massacre, but I only wish he would've been stopped ...before he reached the school. Too bad there wasn't a cop/military veteran/armed citizen there to engage him when it all started. Same for the Aurora, Colorado shooting.It's up to you to pray for who you want and I think you must be a caring person in order to pray for a terrorist. I applaud your courage to say you did so.