Alcohol abuse and anxiety

Bogota

I am posting this thread to pose the question of - has your anxiety made you turn/become dependant on alcohol?

My condition has worsened since leaving uni (which I didn't think was possible!), and have found myself in the situation of drinking to reduce anxiety levels before doing an activity that would trigger a 'panic attack'.

Obviously, this has lots of implications on my life; health, awareness, DUI etc.

I'm currently researching ways of finding help, through the aid of websites like this.

So, is anyone else in this situation, or have you overcome it, by some means?
I'd be interested to hear. :D

I'm new, by the way! :oops:

Anonymous

I am new here and simply want to try to help since i have almost beaten the general anxiety disorder that i have been suffering for over 10 years.

Yes anxiety and alcohol go together. Since alcohol is a nervous system depressor, then it will ease your anxiety, or even make it go away when you drink.

Now what happens though is that you will end up, after a while with 2 bigger problems: 1. physical dependance and 2 emotional dependance to alcohol.

I was like that. I only use to go to events were alcohol was available and if not, i would load up prior.

If you want to beat that, well, you basically need to tackle the anxiety problem first, then address the alcohol problem... You can't really quit alcohol now, because, you will simply use something else to relieve the anxiety. Have you discovered what makes you anxious?