Agrophobia

Anonymous

This is something i used to read about and never thought that it would happen to me. I had a good job in South-Africa, i drove a car and went shopping all by myself. It may not seem a big deal , but it is when we moved to England. I suddenly found myself being uncomfortable in shops or anywhere where their were crowds of people. As soon as i walked to a shop i would start Breathing so fast that i thought i would pass out. It has now become so bad that i cannot go for a walk without my dogs and it has to be where their are no people around. So i am stuck at home all day long unless i go for a walk. I would dearly love to go to town by bus but i am to scared. My family cant understand to what extend this is going and try to tell me it is my imagination , but i know how i feel. Is their anybody else out there who has no life like me. I have often Thought about all i am missing out there in the world but i am powerless , i dont know what to do.

Anonymous

I know exactly how you feel. I have had social phobia for at least ten years but just recently it has progressed to a point where I am afraid to leave the house. I can't do alot of things I used to like going for a walk in the morning, going shopping or even just going to a movie with my husband. The mere sight of other people terrifies me.

I started seeing a psychologist last week and she suggested a plan where I get back into the real world one step at a time. My task for this week - Walk to the letterbox to get the mail without having an anxiety attack. It's actually a lot harder than it looks :)

I would definately recommend seeing a psychologist. I have only been once but just knowing that I am doing something about my problem has helped enormously this week. And being able to talk to someone who understands and doesn't think your mad is very reassuring.

Good Luck!

Orlando

Hi, Candy and CJ!

Candy, welcome to the site. I also had/still have trouble getting out of my house. At times, I become terrified of talking to my neighbors. I hate the feeling because I feel my world shrinking before me. I also feel weak and fragile....I hate that feeling.

I just wanted to make you aware that there is another forum (on this website) just for agoraphobia....Click the mouse on "Home" on the upper right hand side of the screen....and scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen.

Any way, it was good to meet you.
Take care! :)