agoraphobia

Anonymous

I became an agrophobic after a Nervous Breakdown and for 4 years was unable to go into any situation where there was a lot of people. After trying
various tratments I was browsing the web and came across an article for
Adult ADD. On mentioning this to my doctor I was sent to a speacalist in
this problem and was consequently diagnosed with ADD. I have been on
Dexamphetamine for 6 months now and am able to work as a cleaner at a
collage near my home. Because I start work at 5.30 am and finish at 8.30 am it means that I do not come into contact with a lot of people to cause a stress situation. This has meant that my self esteem has been lifted and I
am able to tackle more and more a normal life with growing confidence. I
hope that this may help somebody in their quest for a normal life.

Roger

solo1

:D ROGER! THANK YOU!! :D I read your post this morning and have since, discovered that I AM INDEED a victim of ADD or ADHD! I discovered in the past that I was dyslexic and blamed that for my low averages in school, etc., but only after reading your post and searching the web and taking the "WURS" test did I realize that the dyslexia was only a part of my disorder! :( I printed out the test and plan on taking it along to my next appointment with my psychciatrist (9/2) and going from there. I couldn't believe how many of the questions on the test were ME and how everything seemed to fall into place and make some sort of sense for once! It was like opening a surprise Christmas gift that turned out to be something I really wanted and NEEDED! :p It was like a spiritual awakinging! :wink: Hopefully, I will be put on the CORRECT medications and treated accordingly! I have felt so hopeless off and on throughout my many long, difficult years, and I feel hopeful and extremely encouraged because of YOUR post, which I could realte to and indentify with very much, which I why I decided to "investigate" further! I am deeply indebted to you, and just THANK YOU seems so insufficient! GAWSH~~ROGER! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! :D

jeeper

I know it has been a while since you posted this but if you happen to see it maybe you can help. I have a bad case of anxiety, or something like that. I have seen doctors and they all tell me to stay away from the drugs that reallly help me (xanax, klonopin) I do take 25 mg's of paxil once daily and that has helped w/ depression but has'nt touched my anxiety. I seem to exhibit all of the symptoms of ADD/ADHD and was wondering if the hyperactivity/restless feeling you get that is associated w/ ADHD may be causing my anxiety. I don;t like to have to rely on benzodiazapines to help me , but they are the only things that clear my mind and allow me to focus. I would be willing to give them up if I knew for sure that a medication for ADHD would really work for me. I keep thinking that I am going to take it and woinder how the hell I ever survived without it. THANKS!!
-Jeff

Crimefish

Thanks for posting. I checked a few sites out, and my symptoms closely follow the criteria. I'll mention it to a doctor next time.

Anonymous

agrophobic in USA

Help, am spinning in circles. Have been agrophobic since 1999. Am on social security disability due to it. Have been trying to get therapy for it but ...

I make an appointment, the day of the appointment I can't bring myself to leave the house, thus miss the appointment. Spoke with my therapist concerning this and asked for telephone counciling. She informed me that part of the therapy was making the appointment. Told her, well, there are more times than not I can not bring myself to leave the house to make the appointment. Asked if there was any counciling available via telephone. She said no. I do not like people in my house either and also suffer from depression.

Might anyone help with a referral of a therapist/phychiatrist's name and telephone number that is licensed and accepted by Medicare/Social security for my ailments?

Anonymous

How do you grade that test or do you just go off the overall impression, like, loads of 5's=ADD ???

solo1

try this checklist... it's easier to score.....

General Adult ADD Symptom Checklist
Copyright 1995, Daniel G. Amen, M.D.
All rights reserved.

Home | Calendar| Library | Products | Services | Surf's UP

In conjunction with other diagnostic techniques, Daniel G. Amen, MD. (publisher of MindWorks Press) says he "uses the [following] general adult ADD checklist to help further define ADD symptoms. No ADD adult has all of the symptoms, but if you notice a strong presence of more than 20 of these symptoms, there is a strong likelihood of ADD." We gratefully acknowledge Dr. Amen for this valuable contribution to One ADD Place.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After printing this page, please read this list of behaviors and rate yourself (or the person who has asked you to rate him or her) on each behavior listed. Use the following scale and place the appropriate number next to the item.

0 = never
1 = rarely
2 = occasionally
3 = frequently
4 = very frequently

IMPORTANT: This is not a tool for self-diagnosis. Its purpose is simply to help you determine whether ADD may be a factor in the behavior of the person you are assessing using this checklist. An actual diagnosis can be made only by an experienced professional. If you need a referral to such a professional in your area, contact your local chapter of CH.A.D.D. (Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Past History
History of ADD symptoms in childhood, such as distractibility, short attention span, impulsivity or restlessness. ADD doesn't start at age 30.
History of not living up to potential in school or work (report cards with comments such as "not living up to potential")
History of frequent behavior problems in school (mostly for males)
History of bed wetting past age 5
Family history of ADD, learning problems, mood disorders or substance abuse problems

Short Attention Span/Distractibility

Short attention span, unless very interested in something
Easily distracted, tendency to drift away (although at times can be hyper focused)
Lacks attention to detail, due to distractibility
Trouble listening carefully to directions
Frequently misplaces things
Skips around while reading, or goes to the end first, trouble staying on track
Difficulty learning new games, because it is hard to stay on track during directions
Easily distracted during sex, causing frequent breaks or turn-offs during lovemaking
Poor listening skills
Tendency to be easily bored (tunes out)

Restlessness

Restlessness, constant motion, legs moving, fidgetiness
Has to be moving in order to think
Trouble sitting still, such as trouble sitting in one place for too long, sitting at a desk job for long periods, sitting through a movie
An internal sense of anxiety or nervousness

Impulsivity

Impulsive, in words and/or actions (spending)
Say just what comes to mind without considering its impact (tactless)
Trouble going through established channels, trouble following proper procedure, an attitude of "read the directions when all else fails"
Impatient, low frustration tolerance
A prisoner of the moment
Frequent traffic violations
Frequent, impulsive job changes
Tendency to embarrass others
Lying or stealing on impulse

Poor Organization

Poor organization and planning, trouble maintaining an organized work/living area
Chronically late or chronically in a hurry
Often have piles of stuff
Easily overwhelmed by tasks of daily living
Poor financial management (late bills, check book a mess, spending unnecessary money on late fees)
Some adults with ADD are very successful, but often only if they are surrounded with people who organize them.

Problems Getting Started and Following Through

Chronic procrastination or trouble getting started
Starting projects but not finishing them, poor follow through
Enthusiastic beginnings but poor endings
Spends excessive time at work because of inefficiencies
Inconsistent work performance

Negative Internal Feelings

Chronic sense of underachievement, feeling you should be much further along in your life than you are
Chronic problems with self-esteem
Sense of impending doom
Mood swings
Negativity
Frequent feeling of demoralization or that things won't work out for you

Relational Difficulties

Trouble sustaining friendships or intimate relationships, promiscuity
Trouble with intimacy
Tendency to be immature
Self-centered; immature interests
Failure to see others' needs or activities as important
Lack of talking in a relationship
Verbally abusive to others
Proneness to hysterical outburst
Avoids group activities
Trouble with authority

Short Fuse

Quick responses to slights that are real or imagined
Rage outbursts, short fuse

Frequent Search For High Stimulation

Frequent search for high stimulation (bungee jumping, gambling, race track, high stress jobs, ER doctors, doing many things at once, etc.)
Tendency to seek conflict, be argumentative or to start disagreements for the fun of it

Tendency To Get Stuck (thoughts or behaviors)

Tendency to worry needlessly and endlessly
Tendency toward addictions (food, alcohol, drugs, work)

Switches Things Around

Switches around numbers, letters or words
Turn words around in conversations

Writing/Fine Motor Coordination Difficulties

Poor writing skills (hard to get information from brain to pen)
Poor handwriting, often prints
Coordination difficulties

The Harder I Try The Worse It Gets

Performance becomes worse under pressure.
Test anxiety, or during tests your mind tends to go blank
The harder you try, the worse it gets
Work or schoolwork deteriorates under pressure
Tendency to turn off or become stuck when asked questions in social situations
Falls asleep or becomes tired while reading

Sleep/Wake Difficulties

Difficulties falling asleep, may be due to too many thoughts at night
Difficulty coming awake (may need coffee or other stimulant or activity before feeling fully awake)

Low Energy

Periods of low energy, especially early in the morning and in the afternoon
Frequently feeling tired

Sensitive To Noise Or Touch

Startles easily
Sensitive to touch, clothes, noise and light

When you have completed the above checklist, calculate the following:

Total Score: _______

Total Number of Items with a score of three (3) or more: _______

Score for Item #1: _______

Score for Item #6: _______

Score for Item #7: _______

Dr. Amen suggests: "More than 20 items with a score of three or more indicates a strong tendency toward ADD. Items 1, 6, and 7 are essential to make the diagnosis."

He further adds: "One of the most common ways I diagnose ADD in adults is when parents reluctantly tell me that they have tried their child's medication and that they found it very helpful. They report it helped them concentrate for longer periods of time. They became more organized and were less impulsive. Trying your child's medication is not something I recommend!"

Anonymous

ah right, well I'm about 18 using that system, but no high scores for 1,6+7 so, I dont know :roll:

Thanks for the tip tho solo1, getting it prescribed is a different matter...

Anonymous

Re: agrophobic in USA

Hiya,
I'm new here. I have the same problem you have. I fight and fight to get out of the house so I can be "normal" but sometimes my panic wins. I have been to my therapist a few times and even gotten medication. The medication wasn't working very well. I was getting worse and told my therapists that and instead of changing my meds after 4months, she decided I needed to try them longer. To make a long story short, I continued to get worse and was unable to make my appointments. I know that therapists think that the best way to get over this is to feel those very unbearable moments and work through them but after conditioning myself for 6yrs. I can't always cope as hard as I try. I don't know where you live but I live in the states and found that if you call the Mental Health department for the county they can come out and diagnose you then they can send a home health nurse to help you. Unfortunately, the nurse can't prescribe you drugs but if you're a person that needs a safety person to go places with you they will do that. My Agoraphobia is very wierd. I am more comfortable driving by myself places and I also have a hard time when people come into my house. I'm not afraid of open spaces. I'm more afraid of having an accident in public because my stomach gets really upset when I am away from the house. I've been told that Aniexty is sometimes misdiagnosed. I have heard that one can have I.B.S. which will lead to anxiety. I found out that there is an over the counter medication for I.B.S. and I"m going to try it out this weekend and see if it helps with my stomach. I hope if it can balance out my stomach problems maybe my anxiety will go down. Good luck to you.

Anonymous said:
Help, am spinning in circles. Have been agrophobic since 1999. Am on social security disability due to it. Have been trying to get therapy for it but ...

I make an appointment, the day of the appointment I can't bring myself to leave the house, thus miss the appointment. Spoke with my therapist concerning this and asked for telephone counciling. She informed me that part of the therapy was making the appointment. Told her, well, there are more times than not I can not bring myself to leave the house to make the appointment. Asked if there was any counciling available via telephone. She said no. I do not like people in my house either and also suffer from depression.

Might anyone help with a referral of a therapist/phychiatrist's name and telephone number that is licensed and accepted by Medicare/Social security for my ailments?