• get rid of adverts and pay for forums ourselves by donations

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • ignore the adverts and get free forums

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Boring poll dudes!

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

dpr

And your getting really uptight about an issue that really...doesnt matter that much.

It matters, I think but whatever.

I'm not mad at anyone. I was just calling attention to his obvious posturing.

dpr

:confused:
According to us mods eh?where did i say that...Er yeah you completley pulled that out of your arse.No where does Remus say that dude.Infact Remus actualy said somthing along the lines that he thought the majority of people wouldnt fall for the adverts.Us being a cynical lot and stuff.Your just twisting words now.

You must have missed his original poll. But okay sorry, I should have said just Remus as the other mods didn't weigh in on it.

deal with it,most people seem to be able to without kicking up such a fuss.

Fine, like I said man, it's your site not mine. I can't force you to take ads down. But we should be able to have a thread on the subject at least. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Danfalc

Banned
You must have missed his original poll. But okay sorry, I should have said just Remus as the other mods didn't weigh in on it.

Fine, like I said man, it's your site not mine. I can't force you to take ads down. But we should be able to have a thread on the subject at least. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Its not my site dude...just cos i help out moderating doesnt mean i own the site :confused: im still just another normal member like you.Yes i can bring suggestions up with the webmaster and other mods but so can you.But they have already been braught up...donoations...or gettting an ad block.And even if i wanted to take the ads down i couldnt thats beyond my power.

And hey youve got your thread havnt you?Its not like its been locked or anything or deleted.Im just adding my own personal opinion.:)

dpr

Its not my site dude...just cos i help out moderating doesnt mean i own the site :confused: im still just another normal member like you.Yes i can bring suggestions up with the webmaster and other mods but so can you.But they have already been braught up...donoations...or gettting an ad block.And even if i wanted to take the ads down i couldnt thats beyond my power.

And hey youve got your thread havnt you?Its not like its been locked or anything or deleted.Im just adding my own personal opinion.:)

Yeah and that's cool, of course you should add your opinion, I'm just saying I wasn't trying to piss people off and be a troll with this thread, I was just saying what I felt, ya know?

Yeah I know, it's the webmaster's site. I wrote to him/her weeks ago about donating as suggested by Remus but I got no response, so I guess it will stay as is.

Last edited:

SilentStranger

The webmaster has to pay the bills afters all, so I am generally OK with ads. I don't mind the old style small google ads which are not that intrusive.

What I am starting to find annoying are the ads (some graphical) that seem to obscure the page flow and formatting, making it difficult to read the content here.

I am glad that the ads here aren't those horrible epileptic seizure inducing flashing flash ads. Please Please don't ever bring them here.

I hope the webmaster reconsiders his decision to includes ads within the body of posts. As I said I am happy with ads, but only if they a unobtrusive and only shown at the very top or very bottom.

As for using ad-block, you can't expect everybody to be computer savvy enough to install browser ad-ons. And even if they were, they might not be allowed to install them (ie when using a work/school/internet cafe computer), so thats not really an option for all.

-SS

Remus

Staff member
But according to the mods here, it is apparently the fault of the insecure people if this happens to them. It is their fault for being such "vulnerable sheep," and not being secure enough to exercise proper media literacy.

It was *my* personal opinion, I wasn't speaking for the moderating team. Dan's opinion is also his own, so is thelema's, I think it good to debate but don't throw your toys out of the pram just because people dont agree with you.

If anyone does fall for the ads can they also be careful when opening emails in thier inbox telling them they won the nigerian lottery (dont send those bank details folks!)
XD

Last edited:

Danfalc

Banned
The webmaster has to pay the bills afters all, so I am generally OK with ads. I don't mind the old style small google ads which are not that intrusive.

What I am starting to find annoying are the ads (some graphical) that seem to obscure the page flow and formatting, making it difficult to read the content here.

I am glad that the ads here aren't those horrible epileptic seizure inducing flashing flash ads. Please Please don't ever bring them here.

I hope the webmaster reconsiders his decision to includes ads within the body of posts. As I said I am happy with ads, but only if they a unobtrusive and only shown at the very top or very bottom.

As for using ad-block, you can't expect everybody to be computer savvy enough to install browser ad-ons. And even if they were, they might not be allowed to install them (ie when using a work/school/internet cafe computer), so thats not really an option for all.

-SS

Yup pretty much agree with most of that,tho sadly with the site only recently being changed i doubt any major or minor changes regarding its layout ect will change so i guess we just have to take the good with the bad :) Maybe things arnt perfect but i like how the site is overall now compared to how it used to be.

And yeah fair point about ad-blocker but i wasnt saying it was everyones answer.To be fair its pretty easy to install simple software like that...if people can navigate the net im sure they can download stuff like that or find a place to help them figure out how to.But yeah still it is an option for the people who can use it.:)

Remus

Staff member
Uh huh... and now you're predictably trying to make it seem like I'm hard to please because I objected to a poll that would only let people choose "no ads" if they also admitted to being vulnerable sheep.

You're really transparent, you know that?

(Cue another lame joke, to cover up the fact that you have no solid argument).

I think the voting speaks volumes

As for the transparency hoo hoo you have no idea ;)

dpr

It was *my* personal opinion, I wasn't speaking for the moderating team. Dan's opinion is also his own, so is thelema's, I think it good to debate but don't throw your toys out of the pram just because people dont agree with you.

Well fine point taken. What disturbs me isn't that you don't agree with me, it's that it seems like you don't really care whether the people on this site get the help they really need, or some "fake help" courtesy of the ads.

If anyone does fall for the ads can they also be careful when opening emails in thier inbox telling them they won the nigerian lottery (dont send those bank details folks!)
XD

This comment of yours is indicative of what I was just talking about in the previous post.

This sounds to me (correct me if I'm wrong) that you are saying that anyone who would visit this site and "fall for" one of these Scientology or Popular Skills ads are the same gullible idiots who would fall for a 419 scam. And if you're one of these people, then it's your fault for not being smarter.

Buyer beware? Does that pretty much sum up your opinion on the subject?

If so, I think it's a pretty unfair comparison, considering one case is people grasping at straws to cure themselves of their mental problems, while the other is really just about greed.

And hey, the reason they still have 419 scams and the reason we still all receive those "Nigerian Prince" emails is because they work. People fall for those scams all the time, which means it is not so outlandish that a good portion of the visitors to this site will probably be influenced by the ads, don't you think?

Satine

I took Remus' comment about the Nigerian scam to be partly in jest - most of us are very familiar with that one, but I think he was lightly reminding people. Nothing wrong with that.