Votes: 2 13.3%
  • ignore the adverts and get free forums

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Boring poll dudes!

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

Remus

Staff member
I wouldn't say that. If anything, people with SA most likely have low self-esteem, and since advertising thrives on attacking one's sense of self-worth, those with SA would be more willing to hand over their cash to someone that promised to help them feel better about themselves, don't you?

No I don't agree, I think we SA'ers are naturally supicious and sceptical (and intelligent), certainly I speak for myself and the hordes of other SA people I've chatted to over the years, I have come to the conclusion that we are far from trusting, very guarded infact.

Your conclusion makes us sound like a bunch of mindless sheep

j_brown2

Banned
Those ads are annoying... that's all there is to it. I got used to ignoring them I don't notice them that much anymore.

dpr

No I don't agree, I think we SA'ers are naturally supicious and sceptical (and intelligent), certainly I speak for myself and the hordes of other SA people I've chatted to over the years, I have come to the conclusion that we are far from trusting, very guarded infact.

Your conclusion makes us sound like a bunch of mindless sheep

Being a mindless follower and being at a point in your life where you don't have much sense of self-worth and are therefore more suggestible in terms of how to make your life better are two totally different things.

And are you seriously saying that you think those with SA are as emotionally well-adjusted and have just as healthy a sense of self-esteem than someone who does not have an anxiety disorder? Give me a break.

Last edited:

Remus

Staff member
And are you seriously saying that you think those with SA are as emotionally well-adjusted and have just as healthy a sense of self-esteem than someone who does not have an anxiety disorder? Give me a break.

OMG you are right, I just bought everything advertised, I thought I'd be immune but my lack of self worth just made me go BAAA!

sheep.jpg

maybe make a poll to see who bought stuff and prove your theory?

Danfalc

Banned
Those ads are annoying... that's all there is to it. I got used to ignoring them I don't notice them that much anymore.

Ive not read all the posts in here,but ive got to agree with J_Brown and remus really.The ad's really arnt that much of an issue in my humble opinion.I think someone has already pointed out that you can get an ad blocker so i dont see what the big issue is.

Besides i think us social phobes and everyone else on this site can be a cynical bunch,I dont think anyone is going to hand over there life savings for some supposed miracle cure just because there was an add on here.or suddenly run off and join a cult because we saw an add.

In an ideal world yes we would get rid of the ad's but it really isnt that much of an issue is it :confused:

dpr

OMG you are right, I just bought everything advertised, I thought I'd be immune but my lack of self worth just made me go BAAA!
maybe make a poll to see who bought stuff and prove your theory?

Again, like I said... I'm not necessarily talking about you and me, I'm talking about the majority of the people on this site who have debilitating mental problems, and who perhaps haven't achieved the same progress as we have. People who could be searching for answers anywhere. I find it hard to believe that you can't see even a slight problem with ads on a site whose members have these types of problems.

And I don't need a poll to know that advertising makes people buy crap that doesn't work. If you want proof, go ask your next door neighbor if he/she owns a "Magic Bullet," and there you go.

But maybe you're right. Maybe everyone on this site is so thick-skinned and secure that ads have no effect on them. Maybe corporations spend billions upon billions of dollars each year for absolutely no reason.

Since you suggested a poll though, I think a better one would be "Who thinks the ads should stay and who thinks they should go?"

Last edited:

dpr

Ive not read all the posts in here,but ive got to agree with J_Brown and remus really.The ad's really arnt that much of an issue in my humble opinion.I think someone has already pointed out that you can get an ad blocker so i dont see what the big issue is.

Besides i think us social phobes and everyone else on this site can be a cynical bunch,I dont think anyone is going to hand over there life savings for some supposed miracle cure just because there was an add on here.or suddenly run off and join a cult because we saw an add.

In an ideal world yes we would get rid of the ad's but it really isnt that much of an issue is it :confused:

Well hey, I can't very well make you take the ads down. It's your site, after all.

I just think it's super inappropriate for a site of this nature.

Remus

Staff member
Since you suggested a poll though, I think a better one would be "Who thinks the ads should stay and who thinks they should go?"

Your wish is my command....!

Last edited:

Satine

The only ones that bother me are the scientology ones. That cult is just sinister and I wish the ad weren't on here. But the others are just... meh. So what? We can ignore them if we want.

dpr

Your wish is my command....!

lol... I guess it was silly of me to think that you could simply type in "I think they should stay" or "I think they should go." Glad to see the wording of the poll isn't the least bit self-serving.

Anyway, who cares. Keep your tacky, hypocritical ads if you want.

I guess I am alone with my "crazy theory" that webmasters should pay for their own sites, or at least just put up a banner ad or two.

But yeah, I would hate for the webmaster to starve to death in a gutter somewhere. Come on guys, dig deep! Buy those "Popular Skills" guide so you can meet all those girls! And then go buy some Extenze so you can close the deal, and then some Scientology books to find all those answers you've been searching for in life.

TheNewZero

lol... I guess it was silly of me to think that you could simply type in "I think they should stay" or "I think they should go." Glad to see the wording of the poll isn't the least bit self-serving.

I guess I am alone with my "crazy theory" that webmasters should pay for their own sites, or at least just put up a banner ad or two.

But yeah, I would hate for the webmaster to starve to death in a gutter somewhere. Come on guys, dig deep! Buy those "Popular Skills" guide so you can meet all those girls! And then go buy some Extenze so you can close the deal, and then some Scientology books to find all those answers you've been searching for in life.

Yeah I know the wording on that poll is great huh? Sigh...I wouldn't have a problem with the ads except for what they're advertising. The Scientology one is okay, I find the whole Scientology thing really amusing so whenever I see that I just smile. It's those freaking 'gain social skills' and 'learn how to be popular' ones that irk me. Cause that's just what we need on a SA site, advertisements that make us feel even more insecure about our social lives.

I know nothing when it comes to computers/the internet, but do the web masters choose which advertisements come up? Was it just that these happened to offer them the most money? As I said, I know nothing about computers...

Remus

Staff member

there's no pleasing some people is there XD

is that any better? ^^^^

Last edited:

StonedBob

The Scientology one is okay, I find the whole Scientology thing really amusing so whenever I see that I just smile.

Mmh, actually, these are the ads that make me the most sick because $cientology is dangerous. Ads for different books may make us feel more insecure in our social life, because they make us think that we aren't normal, but Scientology is far more dangerous... I hope no one in this forum will fall in its trap...
Operation Clambake - The Inner Secrets Of Scientology

Nervous

The webmaster is providing a service. Why should he have to pay out of his own pocket? I use the program previously mentioned on this page called Adblock Plus

TheNewZero

Mmh, actually, these are the ads that make me the most sick because $cientology is dangerous. Ads for different books may make us feel more insecure in our social life, because they make us think that we aren't normal, but Scientology is far more dangerous... I hope no one in this forum will fall in its trap...
Operation Clambake - The Inner Secrets Of Scientology

Thanks for the website StonedBob. Very interesting indeed, and slightly scary. I guess with all the media hype that's been going around about it lately, I assumed that most people know that it's just a crazy silly cult. But I guess people are easy to bring in when they're looking for answers.

Can someone tell me how the whole finding an advertisement business works? I mentioned it in my earlier post but I'm curious. Do certain advertisements pay more for certain sites? I was just wondering because of the whole Scientology thing- I could see them thinking that this site would be easy to pick up a few "weak-minded people" if you know what I mean.

dpr

there's no pleasing some people is there XD

is that any better? ^^^^

Uh huh... and now you're predictably trying to make it seem like I'm hard to please because I objected to a poll that would only let people choose "no ads" if they also admitted to being vulnerable sheep.

You're really transparent, you know that?

(Cue another lame joke, to cover up the fact that you have no solid argument).

But yeah, I still don't see one that says "Get rid of the ads and let the webmaster pay for the site."

I guess that's totally out of the question though, since it's in dire need of funding? I'm just curious.

Last edited:

dpr

The webmaster is providing a service. Why should he have to pay out of his own pocket? I use the program previously mentioned on this page called Adblock Plus

I run 3 websites I pay for out of my own pocket. Granted they are not as high-traffic as this one. But if sites like Facebook and Myspace don't embed ads in your messages, why does this site have to?

And I wonder if you know that using Firefox add-ons enables hackers to drop malicious code in your system? It's really weird to me that most people just download whatever they see on "teh internet" without even researching it. Google "add-ons" + "hacker," you may be surprised what you find.

But yeah, sure. I guess blocking ads is a way around it. So I guess that's the solution. For us to block the ads. So they'll put the ads up and we'll block them. Makes sense.... I guess?

Danfalc

Banned
.You're really transparent, you know that?

And your getting really uptight about an issue that really...doesnt matter that much.People have already suggested making donations..using an ad blocker ect.I cant really see a problem for the ad's generating money for the webmaster to cover his expenses,we are getting a service we dont have to pay for.

And facebook ect dont need the ads because there so popular they generate money in alot of other ways.

dpr

Yeah I know the wording on that poll is great huh? Sigh...I wouldn't have a problem with the ads except for what they're advertising. The Scientology one is okay, I find the whole Scientology thing really amusing so whenever I see that I just smile. It's those freaking 'gain social skills' and 'learn how to be popular' ones that irk me. Cause that's just what we need on a SA site, advertisements that make us feel even more insecure about our social lives.

I know nothing when it comes to computers/the internet, but do the web masters choose which advertisements come up? Was it just that these happened to offer them the most money? As I said, I know nothing about computers...

Thank you! I just can't see how one can't make the correlation that the last thing people who feel insecure and inferior need is some ad reminding them that they're not good enough. And not only that, but perhaps the ad would get their hopes up. They would buy the "How To Be Popular Guide," read it, realize they had been duped out of their money, and feel worse than they did before they came to this site!

But according to the mods here, it is apparently the fault of the insecure people if this happens to them. It is their fault for being such "vulnerable sheep," and not being secure enough to exercise proper media literacy.

I find Scientology amusing to an extent, but when you really think about it, it is more messed up than amusing. Especially if you google "Lisa McPherson" and read about the type of stuff they actually do to people. They've ended and ruined countless lives, and here this site is supporting them. Real classy.

To their credit, I don't think that the webmasters choose which ads appear on the site. I think it's determined by content. Like if this was a forum about cars, then all the ads would be car-related. Since this is a forum where people come for help, all the ads are self-help related, though all you have to do is check out the ads to see how loose their definition of the word "help" really is.

Danfalc

Banned
:confused:
But according to the mods here, it is apparently the fault of the insecure people if this happens to them. It is their fault for being such "vulnerable sheep," and not being secure enough to exercise proper media literacy.

According to us mods eh?where did i say that...Er yeah you completley pulled that out of your arse.No where does Remus say that dude.Infact Remus actualy said somthing along the lines that he thought the majority of people wouldnt fall for the adverts.Us being a cynical lot and stuff.Your just twisting words now.

Look i dont like the adverts either...and telling us we can keep our crappy adverts,wtf? there not even our adverts :confused: Its all down to the webmaster not us...we dont get a say in it.Youve been given advice...make a dontation if you want get an ad blocker or whatever i dont see what the big issue is.There a pain in the ass...and it might not be appropiate what there advertising(but your right its content related).But deal with it,most people seem to be able to without kicking up such a fuss.