A very good article on Social Anxiety

bloodworm

I found this very good article on Social Anxiety. It is actually from 2005 but very relavant for today.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Social Anxiety: An Expert Interview With Eric Hollander, MD

Editor's Note:
Although some consider social anxiety to be a trivial disorder, it is extremely common and its consequences can be devastating. In an interview with Elizabeth Saenger, PhD, Medscape Psychiatry and Mental Health, Eric Hollander, MD, Director of the Compulsive, Impulsive, and Anxiety Disorders Program at the Mount Sinai Medical Center, shares information about the prevalence, causes, types, and treatment of social anxiety disorder.

Medscape: What is social anxiety?

Dr. Hollander: Social anxiety disorder is one of the anxiety disorders listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition Text Revision ( DSM-IV-TR ). Other anxiety disorders include panic disorder, agoraphobia, specific or simple phobias, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and general anxiety disorder, to name some of the most common. Social anxiety disorder is characterized by marked anxiety in social situations. Those with social anxiety either avoid these situations or endure them but with a lot of dread and discomfort.

There are 2 basic forms of social anxiety disorder. There's the generalized form of social anxiety disorder, where people are fearful of most social situations; this can involve, for example, being on a job interview, meeting new people, eating in a restaurant, going on a date, or speaking up in class. During those situations, the person feels like he or she is being judged or evaluated and is fearful of being humiliated or embarrassed or that people will recognize his or her anxiety. So, the person self-monitors symptoms of anxiety, such as tremor, rapid heart rate, sweating, mind going blank, knees getting wobbly, and upset stomach.

In fact, the physical symptoms of social anxiety disorder can look identical to a panic attack, but the symptoms occur only in situations where there is some kind of social provocation or where the person thinks that he or she may be embarrassed or humiliated, that people may be sort of observing them or may even reject them.

There is a second subtype or form of social anxiety disorder called discrete or performance anxiety. These people don't have anxiety in most social situations but only in a performance situation, such as, for example, public speaking, musicians who have to perform, etc. There again, people feel like they're being evaluated or judged so they can have physical symptoms such as a panic attack, but it's only in these performance situations and it's not in all different kinds of social situations.

Medscape: How common is social anxiety disorder?

Dr. Hollander: As a group, the anxiety disorders are the most common of all psychiatric disorders, and social anxiety disorder is the most common of the anxiety disorders.

There are a couple of interesting aspects of social anxiety disorder, including that it has a very early onset. Everyone who develops social anxiety disorder had a particular temperament as a child – namely, somewhat behaviorally inhibited and shy. It turns out that most children who are behaviorally inhibited and shy don't develop social anxiety disorder, only a subgroup do. But all people who have social anxiety disorder start early on by being shy and inhibited, and then a subgroup of those individuals develop the generalized form of social anxiety disorder and a subgroup of those individuals develop avoidant-personality disorder, where they pretty much end up avoiding most social situations.

Medscape: What causes this behavior?

Dr. Hollander: It's not fully known, but we know that there are physiologic effects, biological vulnerability, and that social anxiety disorder tends to run in families; in other words, familial transmission contributes to the development. There are also certain basic brain circuits that seem to get either activated or hijacked, which is associated with social anxiety disorder, in particular, marked activation of limbic regions such as the amygdala and a failure of frontal regions to give a logical or appropriate assessment of what the realistic harm is. So, in a sense, this is an imbalance between the amygdala and frontal regions.

Medscape: Can you explain more about that?

Dr. Hollander: People with social anxiety disorder are exquisitely sensitive to social cues, such as, for example, another person's glance or look in their direction or, in particular, faces looking directly toward the individual. These simple types of provocations can elicit an exaggerated response of the amygdala than can lead to a fight-or-flight response where the person feels like he or she needs to flee the situation or completely freezes.

The outputs from the amygdala in such a case can be associated with all of the physiologic sensations of social anxiety disorder – racing heartbeat, sweating, gastrointestinal-type problems such as diarrhea, and tremor; it can even cause the mind to go blank, namely, an adrenaline-like response.

Also, there is a positive feedback loop for those with social anxiety. The person makes some logical errors by thinking, "Everybody is paying attention to me, everybody can see that I'm anxious," which leads to hypervigilance, where the person monitors the physiologic reactions to anxiety, increasing feelings of anxiety along with its physiologic reactions, and so on – a vicious cycle.

Medscape: What is the best treatment for social anxiety?

Dr. Hollander: There are 2 basic approaches -- one that is cognitive-behavioral and another that is pharmacologically based. Medication approaches vary a lot, depending on whether the person has the generalized form of social anxiety disorder or the discrete/performance-type anxiety.

If people have performance anxiety fears, then the treatment of choice is generally a beta-blocker such as propranolol ( Indera l) or atenolol ( Tenormin ). These medicines simply block the peripheral effects of adrenaline, although propranolol blocks both the central and peripheral effects of adrenaline. When taken at appropriate times, therefore, their usual physiologic responses are blocked; therefore, heart rate doesn't go up, sweating and tremor don't occur, and the mind does not go blank. As a result, the beta-blocker helps the person feel better.

For the generalized form of social anxiety disorder, the treatment of choice, in terms of medication, includes the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and the serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors. For example, paroxetine ( Paxil CR ), sertraline ( Zoloft ), and venlafaxine ( Effexor XR ) all have specific Food and Drug Administration (FDA) indications for the treatment of social anxiety disorder, although other SSRIs, such as fluvoxamine, citalopram ( Celexa ), or escitalopram ( Lexapro ), also seem to be very helpful.

Medscape: You mentioned that cognitive-behavior therapy was a different way of approaching this?

Dr. Hollander: Cognitive-behavior therapy is also extremely helpful; in fact, the treatment of choice is a combination of the right medicines plus cognitive-behavior therapy.

With cognitive-behavior therapy, there are a couple of components. One is exposure and response prevention. The No. 1 issue is to get people to face these fearful social situations, get them to try to tolerate the anxiety -- see that nothing terrible happens, they're not going to die or lose control or go crazy, people aren't going to reject them, they're not going to be humiliated. This approach is exposure and then response prevention to learn not to do all the avoidant-type behaviors that may otherwise occur.

In addition, there is also cognitive restructuring to get the person to challenge these irrational, illogical assertions, such as "Everybody in the room can tell that I'm anxious; nobody's going to want to be with me; I'm going to be a social outcast." Cognitive restructuring allows the person to see that maybe there are alternative explanations.

Group-related processes also tend to be helpful, because sometimes people with social anxiety disorder say, "Well, this therapist is just saying that because they're being polite. They don't want to hurt my feelings." If they're in a group with other people who have social anxiety disorder, they can see that statements made by others about being embarrassed or rejected or humiliated are not true, and participants can get individual feedback from other group members about how others see them. They are often more trusting of feedback from those who also have social-anxiety disorder.

Medscape: I would imagine they would also recognize other people having the same distorted thinking; that is, they identify with the thought process like a light bulb -- "Oh, that's just what I'm doing as well."

Dr. Hollander: Exactly. They can identify with that. Although, still, often someone with social anxiety disorder tells himself or herself, "I agree that this person's cognitions are distorted or illogical, but that person is really much better off than I am; I have a real reason to have these thoughts and he or she does not."

Medscape: So, no matter what, they'll persist in believing their distorted thinking?

Dr. Hollander: To some extent that is true. However, when they get consistent feedback from others who don't have a vested interest in changing their thought process, they can slowly start to accept that their thinking might be distorted. It can be extremely helpful to get such feedback from other people who have been in similar situations with similar feelings and self-perceptions.

Medscape: How did you get interested in doing this kind of research?

Dr. Hollander: I did an anxiety-disorder fellowship at Columbia and got exposed to the various anxiety disorders. One of the things that interested me specifically about social anxiety disorder is that many people feel that this is a trivial disorder; some even espouse that it is a creation of the pharmaceutical industry to sell more drugs. But that's not the case.

When you look at the consequences of social anxiety disorder, they can be quite severe. For example, people who have social anxiety disorder, particularly the generalized form, are significantly less likely to graduate from high school or college; they're less likely to function in a professional or management capacity, because that involves having to do performance and feeling evaluated by other individuals; they're less likely (especially men) to get married or have children. They are more likely to end up with substance use problems, since many people with the condition try to self-medicate by drinking alcohol or taking drugs to ease the symptoms.

Such big consequences can also be associated with big costs, particularly indirect costs. Those with social anxiety disorder are less likely to earn the same amount of money during their lifetime, and they're more likely to have lost job days.

In addition, these conditions are very common, especially performance anxiety. If you ask Americans, for example, "What are you most afraid of?" the No. 1 answer is public speaking. I can identify with that, because when I started out doing public speaking as part of my research career I often would get an anxious feeling, a slight tremor and my mind would go blank – I couldn't organize or remember my thoughts or ideas. I started taking a beta-blocker before speaking engagements, which just knocked out the peripheral effects of the adrenaline. That was a quick learning process; I found out that it could be easy to do public speaking. Now, it's something that I enjoy doing, and I no longer need to take medication.

Medscape: What do you think is on the horizon for treatment of social anxiety?

Dr. Hollander: There are a number of new developments, both in terms of medication and in terms of psychosocial or cognitive-behavior therapy.

In terms of medication, I mentioned that SSRIs are probably considered the treatment of choice. Other treatments that are of some benefit are the benzodiazepine-type medicines such as clonazepam and the monoamine oxidase inhibitors such as phenelzine sulfate ( Nardil ) or tranylcypromine ( Parnate ); both, however, are associated with some undesirable side effects. There are new classes of medicines that are also being studied that have more selective effects in the GABA system; some of these medicines will be coming to market in the near future. They may have a role in social anxiety disorder with fewer side effects.

In terms of cognitive-behavior therapy, I mentioned individual cognitive-behavior therapy and group cognitive-behavior therapy. Another approach is a kind of in vivo exposure, where the person actually faces the situations that bring on his or her feelings and symptoms of anxiety, or imaginary exposure, where the person role-plays or practices being in the particular anxiety-provoking social situations. Nowadays with computerized forms and processes, people can have imaginary exposure and do so in settings that are much more realistic, for example, an interactive video exposure that seems like real life.

Some recent studies have also suggested that so-called smart drugs can enhance the learning effects associated with cognitive-behavior therapy. There was one study, for example, that showed that D-cycloserine, originally marketed as an antibiotic, has some effects on the glutamate system. Taking cycloserine in conjunction with cognitive-behavior therapy led to more dramatic learning processes associated with the cognitive-behavior therapy.

On the horizon, therefore, are integrated treatments that not only reduce anxiety but also facilitate learning, enabling people to learn in a more rapid fashion from cognitive-behavior therapy or more real-life type of exposures.

Medscape: Is there anything you would like to add?

Dr. Hollander: Of the points we've touched on, a few are worth reiterating -- social anxiety disorders are the most common of the anxiety disorders; they tend to start or show warning signs early, and they are associated with clear-cut alterations in brain circuitry. Also, something we haven't discussed, there are abnormalities of certain neurotransmitter systems – namely, serotonin and dopamine.

I'd also like to mention a couple aspects of working with people who have social anxiety disorder that are really gratifying. First, these people can function at extremely high levels, and, second, they're highly responsive to treatment.

It usually takes a long time, however, between the onset of symptoms and when these people finally get the appropriate diagnosis and treatment. This is partly due to their own shame, anxiety, and humiliation, which prevents them from seeking help, partly due to clinicians thinking that this is a trivial disorder, and partly due to lack of systematic screening for social anxiety disorder by clinicians. But, if screened for, social anxiety is often picked up, and, if picked up, it's highly treatable.

When we think about spending healthcare dollars, it's important to make certain diagnoses, because only then can people receive access to treatments that are really going to make a difference. Social anxiety is one disorder where an effective intervention will make a big difference and will improve long-term functioning.

ChrystaR

I thought it was a decent article. I haven't read a lot of articles on SA in recent time. I've tried to look up articles sometimes to desribe the disorder to people who don't know about or understand it. I always find articles that are very generic in description and usually don't mention all of the symptoms or how badly SA can affect a person.

The main thing I liked about this article was the mention of the fact that something is truly going wrong in our brains. It doesn't start as a messed up thought process, or being shy with low self esteem. It starts from physical/chemical problems that we can't control. We didn't chose, nor cause this to happen to us. I also liked that some mention of the strong affect this can have, basically a lower quality of life. Dropping out of school, not having partners or good jobs, or making much money.

But there are several things in the article (that have been in many articles) that I didn't like and would like to share/discuss. This may get a little ranty, so beware. These things might be true for some, but not me. These are just my feelings and opinions. I don't mean to offend anyone that disagrees with me. I just needed to get these things out. And afterall, this is the site for it. :)

""There are 2 basic forms of social anxiety disorder. There's the generalized form of social anxiety disorder, where people are fearful of most social situations; this can involve, for example, being on a job interview, meeting new people, eating in a restaurant, going on a date, or speaking up in class.
During those situations, the person feels like he or she is being judged or evaluated and is fearful of being humiliated or embarrassed or that people will recognize his or her anxiety. So, the person self-monitors symptoms of anxiety, such as tremor, rapid heart rate, sweating, mind going blank, knees getting wobbly, and upset stomach.""

This has always been my problem with SA articles. While the things listed would all make me uncomfortable, I never see mentions of much smaller things that when you are afraid of them, and avoid them, make for a living hell. I know many people have problems going to the grocery store. My anxiety was so severe I never left the house because I was so afraid of the people. Then it became even worse and was afraid and triggered by my own family (mom, sister, and mostly my dad). I was afraid of every person and every social interaction. Not just meeting new people or a job interview. It was everything. And when you can't go anywhere, or do anything or talk to anyone it ruins your ability to function as a human. I have never seen any article mention how deeply severe and damaging this can be, down to EVERY social situation.

""But all people who have social anxiety disorder start early on by being shy and inhibited.""

I do agree that this disorder seems to start young (I was 12). While a lot of the problems people with SA have are universal, you can't say every person suffers the same, or reacts the same, or began in the same fashion. I was never an extremely out going child, and was usually nervous getting ready for school in the morning, and didn't like performing in front of the class. But I was out going with my friends, I was always a 'little actress', putting on a show. I would talk to strangers and go lots of places. I was somewhat reserved in that I didn't cause trouble in school, and always listened to my teachers, and kept quite when it was demanded (most of the time), and I only ever really had two friends. But I was always friendly and open to people, not really shy or uninhibited.

""Also, there is a positive feedback loop for those with social anxiety. The person makes some logical errors by thinking, "Everybody is paying attention to me, everybody can see that I'm anxious," ""

While obviously, fear of judgment is a great factor to SA, I have never thought EVERYONE was watching me and noticing something was wrong. I never thought an abnormal amount of people were paying attention to me. It was that I knew my symptoms would show, and the people I had to directly interact with would make my symptoms worse, and it was pretty much impossible to not notice something was off.

A huge problem I have had with the one track way of thinking about SA from doctors is that I was afraid of being judged and watched and from there I created my own loop of being afraid, getting symptoms, then avoiding. My problem from the very start and still to this day, is caused by my symptoms starting first. When being in a social situation, I would blush (a big and noticable problem of mine) and sweat and tremble and my heart would pound and I knew it was an unreasonable (and uncomprehendable) reaction to something that I knew was no big deal and something I was always able to do in the past. THEN, came the fear of judgement. Then came the avoidance. Even now, when I have to do social things, like going to the grocery store, I expect to do well, to have things work the way the should, and then out of nowhere I start blushing. It is always the symptoms. Then I fear someone will notice and I go downhill from there. Yes, I know my thinking patterns are messed up after 8 years of suffering, and now I over think what others think of me, or under/overestimate myself, etc. But it didn't start that way.

""With cognitive-behavior therapy, there are a couple of components. One is exposure and response prevention. The No. 1 issue is to get people to face these fearful social situations, get them to try to tolerate the anxiety -- see that nothing terrible happens, they're not going to die or lose control or go crazy, people aren't going to reject them, they're not going to be humiliated. This approach is exposure and then response prevention to learn not to do all the avoidant-type behaviors that may otherwise occur.""

I have never thought that I would die, lose control, go crazy, or be rejected. But I do think/know there is a possiblity of being humilated. Humiliated might be an overstatement, usually just embarrassment, not strong enough to be humiliation. Like I said before, I can go places and expect to do really well, and then get slapped in the face when I start blushing etc. for no reason. I avoid social situations because I know the possibility of my symptoms embarrassing me is always there. I'm not imagining the threat of embarrassment, it's not a warped thought process. Yes, I will admit that sometimes I overestimate the situation and do really well when I thought I would fall flat on my face, but it can be just the opposite of that on other occasions and that is not from self-prophecizing something bad, and because I thought something bad would happen, I put myself in a frame of mind where I am more likely to suffer.

""In addition, there is also cognitive restructuring to get the person to challenge these irrational, illogical assertions, such as "Everybody in the room can tell that I'm anxious; nobody's going to want to be with me; I'm going to be a social outcast." Cognitive restructuring allows the person to see that maybe there are alternative explanations.""

Again, I have not thought most of these things. And hey, let's face it, I am a social outcast. ::p:

And this leads me right back to the fact that a big part of my problem is my syptoms occuring first. Again, I will admit that it isn't always that way, but most of the time it is. I think rationally that I will do well, and then my symptoms tear me down. How can I change an irrational thought process and fix my problem, when a lot of the times my problem is not caused by my irrational thoughts. Yes, I may think the person I interact with will notice my blushing, when they really don't, but it isn't the irrational thoughts causing the blushing. It's the blushing causing irrational thoughts. And ultimately, the blushing/symtpoms are the problem. The physical symptoms are what cause me the most pain, because if they didn't exist, I wouldn't have a ****ing problem. I could heal my thoughts and my mind, if my physical syptoms would stop and give me a chance to recuperate. But they are always there, dragging me down, making me avoid things that I want/need to do.

And that is what hasn't gone away after years of doing my own exposure. That is what I can't see cognitive therapy fixing. That is what my medication hasn't cured. If I could stop the physical symptoms, I could heal. But they won't go away, and I don't know what to do.

""Group-related processes also tend to be helpful, because sometimes people with social anxiety disorder say, "Well, this therapist is just saying that because they're being polite. They don't want to hurt my feelings." "

Again, never thought a therapist was saying/thinking that.

""If they're in a group with other people who have social anxiety disorder, they can see that statements made by others about being embarrassed or rejected or humiliated are not true, and participants can get individual feedback from other group members about how others see them. "'

But the embarrasment, humilation and rejection ARE TRUE. We aren't making this up. We are rejected by others. We are embarrassed and humilated on a regular basis, whether it be weekly or multiple times a day. Just because our thought processes are messed up, doesn't mean what we see is always false. Doesn't mean our emotions aren't real. They are unreasonable, YES, but they are always very real.

""Dr. Hollander: Exactly. They can identify with that. Although, still, often someone with social anxiety disorder tells himself or herself, "I agree that this person's cognitions are distorted or illogical, but that person is really much better off than I am; I have a real reason to have these thoughts and he or she does not.""

Again, never thought that. The disorder is made from irrational reactions of fear. I feel we should look at each other and say "I'm sorry you have to suffer this, too". I would never think someone had more or a reason to feel this way or not, because every way you turn it, it is irrational. We can't think someone else is irrational to or has no reason to behave/feel this way, because we ourselves are irrational. No one should feel this way.

"Another approach is a kind of in vivo exposure, where the person actually faces the situations that bring on his or her feelings and symptoms of anxiety, or imaginary exposure, where the person role-plays or practices n't have a reason to feel this way.being in the particular anxiety-provoking social situations. Nowadays with computerized forms and processes, people can have imaginary exposure and do so in settings that are much more realistic, for example, an interactive video exposure that seems like real life."

This is a laugh to me. My dad wanted to call me on the phone and pretend he was a stranger. That would never ever work for me. I know who it is. I can't force myself to believe that my dad is a stranger. I can talk to him (now anyway) and feel completely normal with him, I could talk in a fake accent and talk in riddles and it wouldn't make a difference because I know it's him.

Ok, that's done. I know it's long, and I have strong opionions. I hope that isn't too much of a problem. ;)

Glitch

Seems like a solid article, really just the basics of SA, not much I haven't heard before. Kind of interesting that we supposedly all start off shy & inhibited, not sure if I can believe that 100% though..

ChrystaR, I feel the opposite on most of your points except the part about humiliation and the physical symptoms. I never really thought much about what came first, disordered thoughts or symptoms. Majority of the time it's the former for me but once in a while the symptoms seemingly come out of nowhere and kick my ass :/ But I think I can just explain those instances away as a conditioned response to being around people, possibly mixing in other factors such as lack of sleep etc.

ChrystaR

If anxiety disorders are the most common psychiatric problem, and SA is the most common of anxiety disorders, then why the hell don't I ever see anything talking about SA. I have only once, 6-8 years ago seen a commercial for SA. It was a Zoloft commercial and I never saw it again after that. I've never see any medication commercial promote awareness for anixety disorders. Never seen an ad in a magazine. I never hear about this disorder, anywhere, ever. Plus, in my real life I only know one person who has SA.

I really wish more would be done to inform people about this disorder. To help people who have it, and to let people who don't, see that we aren't as crazy as they think.

w*n*c*a*m

I agree with Crystar about the "blushing" thing. It would be much easier for me to atleast pretend that I'm confident if not of my "blushing" betraying me. I actually looked for a way to stop this "blushing" and the best thing is surgery and that is just too extreme for me to do, not to mention the money I need to spend for it. I don't wanna take medicines coz' I'm scared of the side effects.

This is definitely biological coz I got it from my dad which he got from my grandfather... It's easy to blame my genes but they were able to mingle with people despite their anxiety. I'm just thinking that maybe SA became much worse for me because I was born a girl... Females are naturally more sensitive than guys... so compared to my dad and grandpa, I am in a disadvantage state. :( Oh well... I still try to help myself because there's no sense feeling sorry. It just ticks me off that my sister was born the "superstar" and I got the unlucky genes... but people seems to blame everything about my behavior on me. It's like I was the "victim" here... but I am still to blame for being the victim. Sigh*

bloodworm

Those of you that mentioned problems with blushing - I used to have a big problem with this starting in 8th grade when my SA began. The odd thing about it is that it went away as i got older(into my 40s).

Now my only problem is performance anxiety, and even then, blushing is not a part of it.....but having a panic attack in advance and during public speaking is no fun either.

I use Propranolol for performance anxiety, and also a bit of Klonopin.....although its a delicate balance. For me, its almost better to use the Klonopin to get a good nights rest before the event and then just Propranolol the day of. Too much Klon with Prop and it makes me more nervous because i feel wiped out.

bloodworm

"Medscape: What causes this behavior? Dr. Hollander: It's not fully known,..."

I bet if you ask a thousand people what caused it for them, you would get a 1000 different answers. ...and some peoples answers, are what THEY THEMSELVES believed caused it, true or not.

For me it started in the later half of 7th grade which coincidentaly was when puberty started for me. Its that time when you become fully concious of what others think of you. "Concious Makes Cowards Of Us All" - Hamlet

The quesstion then becomes, was I born this way and puberty exposed the problem, or did some external stimulus cause it earlier and then puberty expose it....or BOTH?

I was told by my parents that they always had to check on me when I was in my crib because I was so quiet. I am the ultimate day dreamer. I was picked on by my older brother so that may be a contributing factor.

Yes, I think the article above should have gone a little more in depth into what some of the causes truly could be.

Cecilia219

I HATE BLUSHING. When I was on Lexapro, my blushing stopped. It was glorious. I went off of it because of side effects, and now my blushing is back. It is so easy to hate yourself with the blushing. I always feel so horrible & depressed after a blush-bout. I am doing an internship and there are like 2 presentations a week and I blush all down my arms and even on my chest. try to explain to my boyfriend that it makes presentations SO MUCH harder. I try to remember what to say & be professional, but in my head I'm also so embarrassed that I am bright red.

In my prom pictures, you can see rashes down my arms!! My family laughs & I guess it's funny looking back, but at the time it was so awful!

bloodworm

Cecilia, have you tried Propranolol(Inderal) along with a very small dose(.5mg) of Klonopin 1 hour before each presentation?

If not, check with your doctor to see if its ok for you to get a script for them. If I take these, I can stand in front of 100 people with no nervousness at all.

They MIGHT be able to help you with blushing.

Cecilia219

@ bloodworm, my doctor gave me Xanax, but I am afraid to take it because of the side effects. I will talk to him about those two. Thank you for the help!!!!!!

Solitudes_Grace

Females are naturally more sensitive than guys... so compared to my dad and grandpa, I am in a disadvantage state.*

Females are not naturally more sensitive than guys. There is no biological evidence to prove such an idea. Do not try to convince yourself that you are naturally more vulnerable than men, because you are not. You are stronger than that.

Last edited:

bloodworm

Cecilia - Klonopin is a benzo same as Xanax, so you already have one part of the equation. So all you need now is Propranolol. I usually take 20 to 40 mg an hour before, but your dose may be different. I am male and weigh 180lbs.

Something I found through my trial and error is that it is very important to get a good nights sleep the night before the event because these drugs can bring you down several hours after taking them.

--

Solitude and w*n*c - I never thought about a persons sex relative to how sensitive they might be. Based on my many years of life, when it comes to this problem, a persons sex does not matter.

I have seen girls who are perceived as shy, and they themselves say they are, but that does not necessarily mean the have SA. Notice that the article states that SA brings on symptoms of a Panic Attack. To me that is the ultimate qualifier. I know because I have been there.

IMO, if you dont have symptoms of a panic attack to some degree, then its not really SA. So what I am saying is that shyness in and of itself is not SA. I actually consider basic shyness to be a quality in someone. I seem to enjoy being around shy people, maybe because some of them think on a deeper level.

Cecilia219

Ok, yes I am much smaller than you & I will check the dosing. Thank you again for the info.

My sister had a panic attack & when she described it to me, it sounded normal to me until I realized that I never perceived panic attacks as something you would go to the ER for.. I am so used to them! It's not from being shy. I am NOT shy.. I make friends and can talk to people pretty easily, but I can't call people or hold onto relationships. Shy is just how we are perceived probably.

I don't think sex has anything to do with it. Maybe in some cultures, but for the majority of people, males are just as insecure as females, and suffer from SA the same way I believe.

atavistic

Being shy and inhibited runs in my family. In fact my great grandpa never left his house for an over night trip but once in his life. And my grandpa is almost the same story. My father is nervous and my aunt gets anxious in social situations. One of my cousins had performance anxiety while on a mission. And my uncle drinks like crazy for some reason. And another aunt is obsessive about things. This is all from the same side of the family.

Also just to throw it out there about the amygdala. If I'm remembering correctly, an enlarged amygdala is related to bipolar disorder. A hyperactive amygdala is related to social anxiety disorder and (not sure) being a social person.

Amygdala gray matter concentration is associated... [Neuroreport. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI extraversion
Studying Brain Activity Could Aid Diagnosis Of Social Phobia social anxiety
Amygdala in Bipolar Disorder -- Neurotransmitter.net bipolar

My brother was taking clonazepam daily for his social anxiety and quickly built up a tolerance and became dependent. Took him a long time to get off of it. I'm really looking forward to the new medications on the horizon mentioned.