A thought...

Thelema

Tell me what you think of this...There is no right or wrong...there are only varying degrees of success or failure.

BornAgain

Thelema said:
Tell me what you think of this...There is no right or wrong...there are only varying degrees of success or failure.

i think there are varying degrees of anything, so your statement is like stating "there are varying shades of the day's sky and the nightsky".

Thelema

BornAgain said:
Thelema said:

i think there are varying degrees of anything, so your statement is like stating "there are varying shades of the day's sky and the nightsky".

Yeah I think so :wink: There are no sure things like 100% right or wrong in the real world...only varying degrees.

Maarten

That's some good thinking Thelema. I agree with you 100%

If you think about it, the terms right and wrong are by themselves indicators of varying degrees of success and failure.

Thelema

Maarten said:
That's some good thinking Thelema. I agree with you 100%

If you think about it, the terms right and wrong are by themselves indicators of varying degrees of success and failure.

Thank you. It came to me when I was making a sail. I was wondering if the amount of draft I was putting in it was right or wrong and then it hit me!

frizboy

There's no right or wrong. But that's the way we feel sometimes.

(Not to be taken as truth, btw, just as food for thought)

Y

Thelema said:

Exactly! Thats how i see everything too. And i cant believe people who go "oh thats not right, this is right" . Well who are you to say? Everyone has their own rights or wrongs.

(excluding religion, since it shows the rights and wrongs, (since i believe) and thats not questionable to me, im talking about subjects religion doesnt interfere)

stormygrey

Thelema said:

Saying there is "right" and "wrong" would be taken as standing on a "moral high-ground".... What is right to you may be wrong to someone else... so you can never really tell, at least in most cases.

Success too, is a totally personal opinion... you can b the world's richest person and think yourself successful... or you can be poor but still happy, with a good family, which is your point of view of success.

What IS true however is the simple phrase: Choices have consequences. It takes into account whatever you did whether "right" or "wrong" will have its results... we don't have to think whether we "suceeded" or whether we "failed".... we don't have to think in those terms at all. Whether fair or unfair, for our actions there will b results.

Maarten

In a moral sense there is no absolute good or bad. These are both subjective and can even be non existent in a person. Theoretically a human can be a moral nihilist although no such person probably lives. Good and bad can be whatever you make them, happiness, pleasure, knowledge etc. These can all be justified using reason depending on what axioms you use. This explains why there is so much conflict in the world. In most cases both parties are right, yet they are in conflict because they use different axioms.

In my opinion there is only one candidate for being an absolute highest good and that is power. You could say: "I am not interested in power I am interested in happiness". But then you forget that in order to obtain happiness you need power. Fact is we all have desires, and in order to get what we want we need power. So whatever you want consciously or subconsciously you are striving for power.

Thelema

I agree we are all really trying to get power. Under all our strivings is the need for greater power. It is something we can never get enough of and our worth is a gage of our power. There is also no such thing as equality. If someone says everyone is equal then they are deluded.

stormygrey

Maarten said:
In a moral sense there is no absolute good or bad. These are both subjective and can even be non existent in a person. Theoretically a human can be a moral nihilist although no such person probably lives. Good and bad can be whatever you make them, happiness, pleasure, knowledge etc. These can all be justified using reason depending on what axioms you use. This explains why there is so much conflict in the world. In most cases both parties are right, yet they are in conflict because they use different axioms.

In my opinion there is only one candidate for being an absolute highest good and that is power. You could say: "I am not interested in power I am interested in happiness". But then you forget that in order to obtain happiness you need power. Fact is we all have desires, and in order to get what we want we need power. So whatever you want consciously or subconsciously you are striving for power.

well yes I agree that no one can be a moral nihilist in reality. neither did i mean to imply that everyone is equal.
I don't agree though that power is the highest good. Firstly I am curious (no offense) about your definition of "power". If as you said you need power to obtain happiness, then that means happiness is the thing we strive for, and power is just a means to that happiness. when we crave for something we don't crave for that thing, but the feeling that we get when we acheive that thing. that said, i believe happiness is not a goal, but a state of mind.

Maarten

stormygrey said:
Maarten said:

well yes I agree that no one can be a moral nihilist in reality. neither did i mean to imply that everyone is equal.
I don't agree though that power is the highest good. Firstly I am curious (no offense) about your definition of "power". If as you said you need power to obtain happiness, then that means happiness is the thing we strive for, and power is just a means to that happiness. when we crave for something we don't crave for that thing, but the feeling that we get when we acheive that thing. that said, i believe happiness is not a goal, but a state of mind.

Power = the ability to impose your will on yourself and your environment.

Sure, I strive for happiness as well but at the same time I am striving for the power to obtain happiness. So what I am saying is that whatever you strive for, your will always automatically strive for the power to obtain it. Which means that if there is a universal highest good, if there is something we all strive for, it is power.

Regards,

Maarten