A great opportunity for me coming up...need help though!

Iseesky

I'm really into graphic design and next year in my final year I'll be taking the yearbook course. My graphic design teacher is paying for 3 of his 'best students' to take a summer camp in the summer on how to make a yearbook aswell as how to work with photoshop and other things. It would be fantastic to put on a resume, and plenty of kids from the city will be there. It's great for me because for one, it really gave me confidence that I was one of the few chosen! Also, that I will be meeting (hopefully) tons of new kids.

The good thing is that I don't know any of these kids, and wont feel shy talking to them for the first time. The only thing I'm worried about is my conversation skills. I usually just let everyone else do the talking and give my feedback. I don't like talking about myself, and I don't think anyone would want to open up in such little time. Obviously I'm going to have to master small talk (oh no!) by the time the summer camp starts. What questions could I ask these people when first meeting them that wouldn't be too 'deep,' but could keep a conversation going?

Kanon

Drivemycar said:
I'm really into graphic design and next year in my final year I'll be taking the yearbook course. My graphic design teacher is paying for 3 of his 'best students' to take a summer camp in the summer on how to make a yearbook aswell as how to work with photoshop and other things. It would be fantastic to put on a resume, and plenty of kids from the city will be there. It's great for me because for one, it really gave me confidence that I was one of the few chosen! Also, that I will be meeting (hopefully) tons of new kids.

The good thing is that I don't know any of these kids, and wont feel shy talking to them for the first time. The only thing I'm worried about is my conversation skills. I usually just let everyone else do the talking and give my feedback. I don't like talking about myself, and I don't think anyone would want to open up in such little time. Obviously I'm going to have to master small talk (oh no!) by the time the summer camp starts. What questions could I ask these people when first meeting them that wouldn't be too 'deep,' but could keep a conversation going?

First off, I must say, congratulations!! It sounds like you are very talented considering that you are one of three chosen to attend this event!
If you feel pretty comfortable talking to complete strangers, then you are off to a good start. As far as small talk goes, you don't really have to think of much in order to start an interesting topic because you already have one! Lol. If everyone their is into graphic design, then topics about types of designs, techniques, etc. are good conversation starters. If the person you are conversing with gets deeper into conversation with you, perhaps asking them if they have won any contests, etc. with their artwork, or even taking it to a bit of a personal level and asking what made them interested in graphic design.

On your end, it sounds like you are a great listener from what you wrote above. If the conversation shifts to you, instead of just giving feedback, you should try to put a little more of YOU into there, otherwise, next time you see that person (if you run into him/her again) it will be hard for them to engage into conversation with you since they know very little about you, which can lead to a lot of awkward. >_<

Good luck! Let us know what happens too plz. ^-^

Helyna

You would, as Kanon said, immediately have something in common with everyone in the group. Talk about the things you like to do with graphic design or that you want to do with the yearbook. If someone mentions an idea or opinion that they have, agree or politely tell them that you prefer ____. That's the best way to tell about yourself if you don't want to start the topic. If they interrupt you, that's okay, especially at the beginning. Most people will be a bit nervous and won't necessarily be as polite as normal. Listen, too. One of my teachers claims that people subconsciously consider the best conversationalists to be those who listen to the other person talk about themselves! Good luck!

Iseesky

Thanks for the advice both of you! I like the idea of talking about yourself slightly so that the other person has at least something to work with. That's probably one of my biggest problems. I hate talking about myself...