A few words from a recovering Social Phobic

PhobicNoMore

Hey guys, I figured it would be good to post here and share what I went through. Both for myself and anyone else with social phobia.

First some backround. I'm 21 and i've pretty much had it all my life. Ever since a little kid i've always been shy. I could never act normal with large groups of people. I was always labelled as quiet, but around people I knew and trusted I was the complete opposite. And no matter what i did i couldn't be myself and I never knew why. So I was pretty much always an outsider. It didn't really get too bad up until around grade 6 or 7 though. I can remember crying every night when i went to bed cause I just didn't know what was wrong and had no hope of ever being "normal". I would stay awake every night in bed just cause i dreaded the next day so much. And of course, i would fill my head with all the thigns wrong with me, along with self pity and anger and all that stuff your brain chews on. I Felt like a complete loser cause I couldn't do anything everyone else could do with out even thinking twice. Had no idea why and no idea that there was anything in the world that could help. I got really really nervous just trying to buy a bag of chips at the store. I was really ashamed of stuff like that and to let anyone know about it was unthinkable. Anyway, I was lucky in that I always had a best friend so life wasn't too bad. Even if everyday was one big constant stress out over anything and everything. Like many of you guys I had to do all kinds of things that I was absolutely horrified to do. And there were many things i missed out on or just avoided.

Well anyway, So in comes highschool. Me and my family move to the city. I didn't take this move so well. Big school. No friends, afraid of everything. I was a total recluse. some people would think I was rude. I'd stay at home all day. I'd get really stressed out going anywhere. Pretty much standard for a social phobic. I coudln't even eat lunch in the cafeteria. It can really debilitate you in every way. The worst thing is just not knowing whats wrong. Not even knowing that anything is wrong, just thinking that you're the way you are because you're just a born loser. No hope at all of life ever getting better. It kills your life in so many ways.

That was until I started looking around the internet for stuff about shyness. This was at about the end of highschool or so i'd say. I didn't find anything about social phobia but I did find some stuff on changing how you percieve yourself. I was self conscious of my appearence for one thing. I was skinny as a twig and I heard about it from everyone relentlessly, (really tall and very high metabolism). It would always bother me, just walkin around i'd always think that people are looking at me and just laughing at me to themselves. That kinda thing. The same would go for stuff I'd say and do and so on. Anbyway, I started with appearence though. Whenever I detected myself being self consciouse of my appearence I'd tell myself that it doesn't matter. People aren't really judging me all the time. Nobody cares what I look like. I'm just another smuck walking down the road. To put it in better words, i'm not that important. And even if they are laughing ont he inside, it doesn't matter to me in any way. Just think about it, be logical. Try to pick up on all thsoe negative thoughts, tell yourself that they're wrong. And keep doing this and don't stop. I didn't even know what social phobia was. I was just doing it cause I was absolutely desperate for a way out of the prison I was in.

Think LOGICALLY. Sit down at the end of the day and look back at when you felt uncomfortable and just think about it. Is it that big a deal? Does it really matter? Was it really that bad? Of course it wasn't. I'm just being stupid. Then you put the bad thoughts out of your mind. They'll come back, but keep doing it all the time. Eventually you will make progress. start with small steps. Go to the store and buy something. As you wait in line tell yourself "Nobody cares what the hell i'm doing." If its a pretty girl at the checkout just tell youself "it no big deal. She's just some girl. Its not like shes gonna bite me. I'm not gonna die". Think of how rediculous it is that you're cringing like its life or death and all you're doing is buying a bag of bread. Thats no way to live! Just think away the negative thoughts. If you embaressed yourself and you're stressing yourself out going it over in your head constantly just think about it logically for a second. Its done with. Its in the past. There is nothing you can do. Focus on the present and the furture, dont dwell on the past because all it does is kill you. I know it might not seem like much but it did it for me. It took a couple years, but I did start finding things better after a month. And now, i'm a whole different person. Life is so much esier.

Anway, again I say. Hunt down the things in life that scare you. Start with the small things like going to the store or just saying hi to someone you kinda know, or even a stranger. Or it could be ordering a pizza over the phone or something, anything like that. Think about how small a deal it really is. About how you're just blowing it overboard in proportions. How nobody is really judging you and nobody really even cares whether you sound nervous or are blushing. I'm sure that if they knew about your problem they'd be rootin for ya. So just seek and destroy the illogical thoughts. Recognize them as false and push the negative feelings outta your head. Then try doing some of these small things that bother you. Whether you do good or not doesn't matter. Congratulate yourself and then do it again. And everytime think about how theres nothin gonna kill ya and nothin thats gonna hurt you in any real way.

And remember, you gotta be pretty tough to face your fears every single day, day in and day out. Just living with them it hard enough. So if you can do that you can certainly get rid of it. I know I found living with it way harder than dealing with it, once I found a way.

ker27

Enjoyed reading your post, so true, so true, about it killing your life in so many ways, and the plucking up guts to phone a pizza order up, this really made me laugh :lol: , as i do this almost every sunday, so much anguish/stress/anxiety goes into that pizza order!!!

so glad you've over come and conquered... Horray :D

jimmystanley

well...the thing is...everybody judges...even those religious people who leave it up to God. it's super natural to make a judgement when you pass someone. even we do it! 'that person thinks i'm wierd'. But i'm starting to realize that they just make their judgement and then it usually passes. they don't sit and ponder about you forever. the judgement comes and goes. and it is usually very harmless. even if they thought badly of you, i'm starting to see that as okay.

PhobicNoMore

Everyone does judge. That is true. I think you're also right when you say that its not something that stays in their minds, its really not that big a deal to them. And even if it is, it simply doesn't matter. You are what you are. Get comfortable with yourself. Its silly to let anything prevent you from being able to walk around and live like anyone else. People see ya, maybe make a judgment and then completely forget about it 5 seconds later. Hell, they usually don't even notice or care at all. Just get rid of those negative thoughts. Tell yourself its stupid to think about what you're thinking. Why do you have to dwell on other peoples thoughts so much? It's silly, so just tell yourself thats how it is and try to realize that theres nothing to be uncomfortable about. Keep doing it and with time you'll just stop thinking those useless thoughts. Might seem crazy but it works. It's self therapy.

Haze0340

Your Post

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to write all that. My anxiety is intermittent, most of the time the fear is there but I am able to push it out of my mind as I get more comfortable. It's always started by those irrational thoughts that you mentioned, and sometimes it spirals to the point where I'm overwhelmed and physical symptoms like rapid heart beat and shaky voice take control. After that I feel dejected for a good while, and it ends in me being reserved and embarrassed whenever I'm around the same people.
I've been struggling with incidents like that since my sophomore year in high school, and I've spent hours trying to figure out what my problem was and trying to convince myself of the irrationality of my fears. It really makes me angry to think about how ridiculous I act sometimes when I get so worked up over commonplace things (especially public speaking), and I know that every time it comes down to it I'll be fighting a losing battle against my beating heart and shaky hands.
Just in case anybody can commiserate with the complete stupidity of my situation, I'll give a recent example. Yesterday I was at the beach with a friend, and I casually met two attractive 25 yr old girls (I'm 18). I was fairly smooth and didn't feel nervous at all. Today I went to a doctor's office, and was sitting in the wait room with a lady. My pulse got up, I shifted positions in my seat every 5 seconds, and desperatley avoided eye contact. For the rest of the visit I was afraid I'd embarrass myself and was very reserved. Now tonight I've been beating myself up over this problem that's been bothering me for years and I am unable to stop. Which is why I decided to look on the internet to see if there was something, some method, trick, even drug, that could stop it.Just when I began to feel like I would go to bed unsatisfied as usual I read your post, and although I already knew most of what you said, it has cheered me up a bit.
Basically, although this post got a little longer than I had expected, I really appreciate you spelling out how you got over your fear. It's given me hope, and I know that you're right.

richkid

I feel I in the same position as you, 21, I understand what to do for self help and know deep down there is a bit of confidence. High school like your self was the point that i look back on and wish it was different and maybe I would be different if certain things didn't happen. I'm learning to live for the day and look forward into the future. I spent most of my life piece together behaviours of different people and tried to be more like them, then just lost my identity. The hardest thing is to get rid of the negative feelings, I held them in for such a long time and it hasn't done me anygood. I would suggest that just brushing the under the carpet is a dangerous game. Its all about balance,be positive but not so much you could fail an audition for the childrens TV because you to enthusastic, and on the other scale not to be so negative that it consumes you.

Don't fall into the trap of everything has to be perfect, not even superman is perfect (and he still lives with his step parents.) Be more on control of your emotions, mind, and body. People want you to be genuine about how you feel, be angry, be confrontational, reble, start a revolution.

Tris

I enjoyed reading this also, i have in a way been trying to do some of these things, just sometimes i think it makes it worse, but im gonna keep on keepin on! : ) : )

PhobicNoMore

Richkid, I know what you mean about dwelling on past events. Stuff used to really really bother me. I'd all of a sudden be reminded of some embaressing incicent and immdediatly it was like getting hit with a ton of bricks. Just an overwhelming feeling of shame and embaressment would all come back. I used to think about stuff in the past all the time. But then I started confronting those embaressing things. Instead of feeling ashamed all over again i'd force myself to just think about it. And as i'd think about it I'd just tell myself to relax, its over now, its done. Don't be adfraid to look back on it. Just accept what happened, come to grips with it and accept it for what it is. Its hard to explain, but, ya just gotta accept it and make peace with yourself. I think you really touched on somethin with the perfect thing. Because now that you mention it I can recall trying hard not to make any kind of mistake or anything that would embaress me. Only when I accepted that nobody is perfect and that kinda thing can happen to anyone and that there is nothing wrong with it did I start feeling better.

And Haze, SP is weird, some moments your fine, others you feel terrible. Maybe the fact that you had to perform in front of this girl is what made you nervous. As in, you had to get up when the doctor called you in and attention would be drawn to you. But at the beach you had your friend with you to take off some of the heat. Figuring out why you feel and do the things you do is really hard.

I've been over my social phobia in many many ways for awhile now. I can even get up and do a speech without feeling anymore nervous than anyone esle. Cause really, everyone is nervous doing speechs, almost anyone anyway. Even if they dont seem nervous, I can tell you, theres a very very good chance they are. I've seen people get up and do a speech perfectly, didnt seem nervous at all and then come down and just be absolutely sure it was a disaster. I've gone up and done speechs being extremely nervous and been told i didnt look nervous at all. Everyone gets nervous. Doing speechs is a very difficult thing to do. And actually, public speaking is at the top of peoples greatest fears. Above murder and everything else. If you ask a person what really makes them nervous, they most often say public speaking. Its a hard thing to do. Theres always farther to go.

Also, i'd like to say somethin that i've really noticed in the last few days. Despite getting over many other things I still dont say hi first if i see someone i know. I let other people say it. I think worried that they wont say hi back or that they don't remember me or somthing. Now, if i stop and talk i'm fine, i dont get nervous anymore.But I still have that bit of insecurity left. And i'm gonna start workin on it. I can think of quite a few incicents in the past where people have thought i was mad at them or something because of this. I'm startin to see more that you're never comepetely over SP. Its a part of everyone but in people like us its got a strong hold and so it can come back if you're not careful. Just gotta keep at it.

MarCPatt

PhobicNoMore, I get so happy when I read stories like yours. People here are always asking if social phobia can be overcomed and you are a good example of someone who has overcomed SP. It is true that a small amount of anxiety is a normal and part of living, but not severe SP. Thank you so very much for writing and giving us some hope. When you are in the mist of SP it is difficult many times to see a way out.