A few non-prescription things I've found to be effective

Joolin

I've taken a few prescription drugs for anxiety and depression over the years and each one has had its own awful side effects. Since then I've been experimenting a lot with things you can find in health food and supplement stores. Here are a few of the more effective ones.

DLPA (DL-Phenylalanine) - this is a precursor to tyrosine, which triggers production of dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine. The effect is an increase in energy and mood when taken regularly.

L-Theanine - this is a precursor to GABA, which is an inhibitory neurotransmitter responsible for decreasing stress. L-Theanine is naturally found in tea and is likely the reason even large amounts of tea don't produce the jittery, anxious effects of coffee.

GABA Calm - this is a sublingual GABA/L-Theanine supplement used for short-term anxiety relief.

Kava Kava - this is the root of a plant found in the south Pacific which is ingested to produce a mild calming effect. I have found the extract tincture to be the most effective form. The effect begins within seconds and feels like a light easing of emotional and physical tension, lasting about 10 minutes.

-----------------------

If you know of any others you have personally found to be effective, leave a comment!

Davevanza

I've taken a few prescription drugs for anxiety and depression over the years and each one has had its own awful side effects. Since then I've been experimenting a lot with things you can find in health food and supplement stores. Here are a few of the more effective ones.

DLPA (DL-Phenylalanine) - this is a precursor to tyrosine, which triggers production of dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine. The effect is an increase in energy and mood when taken regularly.

L-Theanine - this is a precursor to GABA, which is an inhibitory neurotransmitter responsible for decreasing stress. L-Theanine is naturally found in tea and is likely the reason even large amounts of tea don't produce the jittery, anxious effects of coffee.

GABA Calm - this is a sublingual GABA/L-Theanine supplement used for short-term anxiety relief.

Kava Kava - this is the root of a plant found in the south Pacific which is ingested to produce a mild calming effect. I have found the extract tincture to be the most effective form. The effect begins within seconds and feels like a light easing of emotional and physical tension, lasting about 10 minutes.

-----------------------

If you know of any others you have personally found to be effective, leave a comment!

Hi,
I've tried Kava back in 1998, and it helped me a lot.
Currently I am taking L-Theanine with some other active ingredients in the tablet ( Hops, Passionflower, and LemonBalm). And I don't take it daily, only occasionally. As I am also on an antidepressant ( Mirtazapine) and Clonazepam, I couldn't feel the effect of the herbal formulation one.
( This is under Psychiatrist monitoring, and no adverse interaction I find).