a dj with social anxiety??...naahhhh!

carebear

anyone here interested in djing?
I am thinking of signing up for a dj course in nyc starting in july but I am feeling really anxious about it. i feel like i am not "cool" enough to dj even though i loooove music so much. i feel like music is my destiny for some reason and that I need to pursue this...but something is stopping me and its just the fear that I don't fit the bill.. :cry:

anyone else ever tried djing or know djs with sa or anyone on here an aspiring dj??? 8) 8O

bluenow

I knew a guy that made a living being a dj. He wasn't exactly cool, just a regular guy :D

I agree with HereandNow.

Take small steps. Start with signing up for that course.

Septor

If you really want to do this it's better to try then to regrett it the rest of your life.I think if you truly have passion for it then you will fit the bill because that's what helps someone succeed.You wont know untill you try. :)

Like bluenow said just take it in small steps and work your way from there.

Scottish_Player

carebear said:
i feel like i am not "cool" enough to dj even though i loooove music so much. ...but something is stopping me and its just the fear that I don't fit the bill.. :cry:

Like everyone has said, if you feel really passionate about it then you should go for it so that you dont end up living to regret it.

Also try to get the idea of a typical dj out of your head, i think this is why your putting yourself off, you have a few djs in your head that you feel you would like to be like but dont think you could be like them. Just go along and you will prob see othe people there who may not be your typical dj lookin kind.

What kind of music is it that you plan to do?

Don1985

I'm a bit of a bedroom DJ... I have some Decks in my room and mess around on them every now and then. Music has always been a big part of my life, i've always played the keyboard, and played lead guitar in a band for a few years, and DJ'ing was my next step. I feel the same way as you do...i feel that my life and career should be in the music industry, but i'm not sure how to go about it, and i certainly can't now i'm limited to the walls of my house!
It sounds like you have the strength to go for it, and i wish you the best of luck in doing so...

carebear

thanks guys. i appreciate the support. i decided not to take up dj school mainly because i don't want to pay the 300 bucks that I could have used to buy equipment..
instead i think i am going to get the equip and learn myself..somehow... 8O

and i certainly can't now i'm limited to the walls of my house!
don..although you may think you are confined you are really not. but i understand how you feel. its so hard being confined in your mind and then the physical confinement just makes all the more miserable. you should try djing as well (in public). maybe it won't be as bad as you think. not sure if you just go to a club and ask to dj there to get a gig but i am guessing its just small steps like that..getting your foot in the door..etc...
what kind of equip do you (have you) used....cds or records? and which one is easier?