Chilling__Echo

my first job was at a pizza joint. and i hate to tell you, i'm ok with alot of work, like i'm able to work in retail comfortably, but in the food business? esp as a waitress??

i deffinately think you should give it a go and i would have the same fears as you, getting humiliated in front of my mom, i'd rather be in those situations with strangers rather than people i knew. but i think you should also start looking around for another job too.

working in food is really... really stressful. and i'm all about giving encouragment and everything but if you're like me... that job sounds like a handful...

but good luck, at least give it a shot, if you were able to get it in the first place, then you're off to a good start.

JWH

My first work experience was with a pastry chef, and I believe that experience is part of the reason I continue to doubt myself to this day. Try it for a bit and if you do not feel intimidated, go for it. If you are constantly being pushed and yelled at, forget it. There are far better jobs out there. If you can, it's better to go for something which will give you a bit of freedom and control.

marc72

good luck if you decide to go.

hey keep us up to date with whats going on with your job situation. ID it go well let us know. stay strong we are here for you. Do not beat yourself if it doesnot work out. Working in a restaurant under pressure must be stressful and axniety producing so do not beat yourself just .

marc72

hey keep us up to date with whats going on with your job situation. ID it go well let us know. stay strong we are here for you. Do not beat yourself if it doesnot work out. Working in a restaurant under pressure must be stressful and axniety producing so do not beat yourself just .

marc72

solo1

Well Oak, I think that taking that GIANT step and even TRYING to make a go of that job deserves a HUGE HOORAY! SO-- HOORAY! No one excells at something they have no 'hands on' exeperience at! You'll learn, and in time, I'd be willing to bet that you'll be every bit as sweet & friendly as the girl who helped you, and who knows, they may not even WANT to hire anyone else!

If I was your Mom, even if you did 'mess up', I would be VERY proud of you for TRYING.

BTW....did you get any 'tips" ($$)?

marc72

Hey OAk congratulations. You ATLEAST made the attempt to go and you took opposite actions. Instead of staying home and feeling comfortable in thinking negative, you ATLEAST gace it a shot. You can learn from working there.

You never know , the lady that cmforted you, perhaps she may know another job for you or perhaps you made a new friend.
Also, in a pressure situation like yours. Dont beat yourself up. Try to find something positive out of this.
In the meantime,
1.focus on smiling
2. have a pen and paper to copy down the informationwhen the customer orders there food.
3. Repeat what they said that helps to remember the order .
IF bored, look busy
4. walk around observe other waiters practice at home even talking out loud.
Im sure you know all this already but just make sure you know that We at the forum are here for you AND we do not judge so at least you have a place to vent your frustrations.
Keep us up to date. :wink:

solo1

(((Aw thank you!
Yeah I really hope it'll get better.
I'll be over the moon when I'm half as good as her.
O and it's our chef or the other girl who gave bills, but I don't think I received any tips anyway with my great achievement that day.
Oh well, there's still tomorrow. )))

It will get better Oak, you'll see! I have no doubt of that because believe it or not, you already fought and won--- you got past the fear of even attempting to do this & what's more, despite a not so perfect day, you are still determined to go back at your next scheduled time. What you have done and are doing takes some REAL guts & determination, so Sweetie, you got what it takes, you just need a little experience and it WILL get way better for you.

A lot people are very self centered and think they they should have the best of everything & that includes service at resturants/business, but there are a few others that are very patient and understanding and will even admire you for your 'training'. If there were any of those people in the resturant yesterday, I think they would have let a tip for you to give you encouragement (I WOULD HAVE! :wink: ) Chances are you did get tips, but unfortunately, you didn't know.

Truth be known, I would have a difficult time even going into a resturant, much less working in one, which is why I keep saying HOORAY for YOU! Working for the average Joe/Jill can be stressful & difficult, but much, MUCH more intense for people like 'us'! No matter what happens from here on out, you can always take pride in knowing you conquered your fears, & always remember that and think of everything as a learning experience and stepping stone to bigger and better things ahead! You'll go far, you'll see!

marc72

yep

hey you at least showed up each time you was required to work and you are taking steps. Like I said . it is better than saying " what if??" to yourself and second guessing. thanks for the details.

Carina33

Wow Oak! I really enjoyed reading all of that because I can relate to a bit of it. And, like everyone else is saying, congratulations on trying something, even if it was frightening!

After months and months of searching... I finally got a job... a courtesy clerk at a grocery store. I just started a couple of days ago. That means pushing carts, sweeping, bagging groceries... and worst of all, assisting customers. I was, and am, so frightened.
So far I have been alright... and I have even been able to talk: enough so that maybe not so many people think I am weird. But....not all of it goes well. I am a little afraid to go back tomorrow. And, I am so afraid of making mistakes. I have to ask about almost everything I do.... "How do I clean the ashtrays?" etc. At first I thought I would do alright, but going back yesterday, I wasn't sure again.
I got talked to by my boss because I guess on my fisrt day I had been under some kind of "secret shopper" test... and I failed to make a greeting comment, ask the customer if they needed help to their car, and I made no parting comment. I know I got better after that because I would at least say 'have a nice night' and I was so nervous my first day.
Anyway... I had more than one person telling me what I needed to do. It was really hard yesterday because I can say "have a nice night!" but it's so hard for me to say loudly, and something unexpected like "Do you need any help out today?" It is so much easier to say "have a nice day" when they are just right in front of you. And- if I don't ask if they need help out, the checker will usually ask it.... so that makes me feel like I don't have to do it.
I got a little better toward the end of yesterday. I could actually say it... and I only had to repeat myself a few times.
But then some guy I work with who I thought I was doing really well around asked me why I never smiled...and I felt so bad. And I think a lot of people talk about me.
But I REALLY did not mean to write this much. This just really got me started... and I am going in again tomorrow for 9 hours. I apologize for saying so much. But you did well by doing what you weren't certain of- and I am sure you didn't make as many mistakes as I do!
Ha.... and, after I took my grocery store job, I also tok another job at my mom's hair salon (well, the one she goes to) because they really needed a receptionist. A receptionist- me. I was so uncertain about that...so, I gave the job to a friend of mine who would be perfect at the job. I couldn't have really worked the two jobs at the same time, anyway.
I am really sorry about writing so much!

Carina33

Hey Oak,

Ha... thanks. Yeah, my job feels like it is going a lot better. I actually love it, it is so fun to go to. For the first time ever, I am not just dumb because I cannot talk. The job is actually talking all day... and it is quite fun. Everyone there is so awesome. I mean, I am still quiet, but I can at least talk, and I make a lot of friends and everything.
And about the smiling thing....it is so weird. It's not that I don't smile, because I know I do a lot. I mean, I do when I have to, I do when I talk, and I do when I laugh at something. But I guess I look really mean or something when I am just standing there not doing anything. The other day I was just standing there bagging groceries, and some weird old customer guy came up to me and slapped my shoulder and said "Smile, it's not that bad." So I guess I just need to smile all day long, or else I will just look completely miserable.
Well...thanks. I really do have fun at my job, and I look forward to going everyday.

aoao

But then some guy I work with who I thought I was doing really well around asked me why I never smiled...and I felt so bad. And I think a lot of people talk about me.

i get that all the time. "SMILE TYLER" or people slap my arm or make some kind of discomforting remark, saying that i don't talk enough or i don't look very happy. one manager likes to ask me if i'm depressed and i'm like uhh. no. i just don't feel good. or something. i wish i could just tell my boss that i have social anxiety and that everyone should freakin leave me alone. i feel bad because of it, i get so nervous when people ask what's up. sometimes i find something to say, usually it's something completely stupid though. :(

i'm nervous to go to work tomorrow, but at least mcdonald's here in the midwest is starting the new menu, and there will be lots of training and crap to talk about.

still, mcdonald's is pretty boring and it doesn't give you much to discuss, you just have to be a witty, socially active person, which i am not. it makes my job very stressful and i wish i could quit. i'm going to bare with it though, and hopefully get on medication soon. i need to be mentally stable for college, and i need to keep working so i can go to college. so i have to do all this stuff hand in hand, and it's really hard with my sickness. meh.