Would you rather be pretty and stupid or ugly and smart?

Would you rather be pretty and stupid or ugly and smart?

• Pretty and stupid

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Ugly and smart

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

takethislife

I'm thinking pretty and stupid is maybe better....?
At least then you wouldn't worry of what people think of you cuz you wouldn't even realize when you DO look funny or something.

I prefer not being stupid (not saying I'm particularly smart), because I found stupidity to be a more objective trait than beauty. Beauty fades out, intelligence not so much.

And for what many people can be ugly, for a few can be pretty. :)

anxiety1408

thats kind of a weird question, since you could be pretty and start learning and become smart. so essentially your asking would you rather be ugly and smart or pretty and smart hmm.

Rembrandt Broam

I'd rather be pretty and stupid. At least then I could take a photo of myself without wanting to burst into tears afterwards.

Nooooo. Stupid people forget to take the lens cap off before pressing the shutter. I'm always doing it. ;)

Besides, since you're already pretty and smart, why would you want to swap the smart bit? :confused: :)

takethislife

thats kind of a weird question, since you could be pretty and start learning and become smart. so essentially your asking would you rather be ugly and smart or pretty and smart hmm.

if you're naturally uninteligent, you cannot LEARN to become smart.. Im just asking if you had to choose between these two

WeirdyMcGee

haha~ I guess it's not good if you're ugly and stupid, eh?
Darn. (for further clarification- I'm not smart nor do I believe I'm very pretty)

I'd rather be... moderately smart and MAGICAL.
How about that?

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Looks are subjective and fade. Intelligence is arguably subjective but I think less so than appearance at least, and so I would pick that.

Sort of like asking me if I'd rather a book with the best cover and worst story or a boring cover and amazing story. Always the second, and if you look at a cover long enough it will eventually get boring anyway.

I'd choose ugly and smart for sure.

Looks always fade.
High intelligence can help you make enough money to ensure your not taken advantage of.

Kinetik

I'd choose stupidity if only for the fact that high intelligence causes you to think entirely too much.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Stupid people tend to have fewer worries.
Do they, though? That does seem to be the underlying assumption of this thread. I've seen a lot of people on this site equate having anxiety problems with being smarter. I have yet to see any evidence of this.

In fact, all the studies I could find online indicated either a negative correlation (less anxiety with higher IQ) or no correlation at all.

anxiety1408

if you're naturally uninteligent, you cannot LEARN to become smart.. Im just asking if you had to choose between these two

you can always learn.

But, umm If I had to choose between the two then maybe pretty and stupid. It kind of depends on how ugly you mean lol if its upto the region of looking like a normal guy then I would go with that and being smart.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Do they, though? That does seem to be the underlying assumption of this thread. I've seen a lot of people on this site equate having anxiety problems with being smarter. I have yet to see any evidence of this.

I think the idea is the that stupider people "think less," which is not the case. The difference is what people think about, and if all your thoughts are revolved around worry you are not really putting your thoughts to good use.

And then there's the other idea that if your smarter then that means you spend more time by yourself, and if you have anxiety you spend more time by yourself, so then the two must go hand in hand. Again, really not the case.

I've found that people like to look for the "good things" about having SAD or AvPD or whatever, which there really isn't. There aren't these underlying qualities that everyone suffering from these disorders have in common. Being smart is good, but having SAD does not make you smart. Being caring is good, being considerate, being thoughtful, being "deep," but none of them are the result (or the cause) of having SAD (or AvPD or whatever).

What the people on this site have in common with one another speaks more about what people who would join an Social Phobia forum do than those who have Social Phobia.