What have you tried?

tweetebird

I was very depressed last year, and when suicidal thoughts started plaguing me, I decided to start taking St. John's Wort. I had read many positive things about it in comparison to other stronger pharmaceuticals, so I gave it a shot. It took about 4 months to finally take effect, but it has definitely helped my depression symptoms. It doesn't numb me, which is great, because it gives me the ability to still work on my real feelings. It does lessen the intensity of those negative feelings, so it gives me some relief. It has also helped my energy levels and cognitive functions, which were both very very low. Anyways, I thought I would put this out there. It doesn't have any effect on my anxiety, but now that I don't have to also deal with symptoms and thoughts of depression, I can focus on my other issues.

Hey, I can relate to that - I actually started my "fight" against SA/depression with St. John's Wort. It definately helped me get started... and I am very thankful for it (would recommend it to anyone out there). I would say that that's what really started my active fight against this.

I only took it for a monthe or so though, as I noticed that it started to have less of an effect on me (because I was progressing futher than the drug could take me through exposure/"self-therapy").

tweetebird

I noticed it vary in effectiveness as well, but when I switched to standardized 0.3% hypericen (sp??) St John's Wort, it helped the consistency.

sanitariumcalls

Well, unfortunately Doctors and my Mother had control over my treatments for over a decade so it wasn't until I was 17 and told them to go to hell and weaned myself off the pharmaceutical poisons did I realize that all I needed was to regulate my life.

Cut out drama, bad friends, get yourself hobbies you are good at and enjoy to keep you busy and watch your diet. That doesn't mean you can't go to Mickey D's or Taco Bell once or twice a month, but really keep an eye on your meals. Lower your intake of alcohol, don't smoke pot or anything that will trigger unwanted emotions. Meditate at least twice a day!

Of course this is what I did, and its not for everyone. I do need counseling, but I just don't have the insurance to see someone on a monthly or bi-weekly basis. And I do deal with much more than SA and Depression...

But good luck to you! I hope you continue to feel good ^_^

coyote

3 parts tequila, 1 part orange liqueur, 1 part lime juice

stir and serve over ice