wake up

takethislife

Hello. This isn't about SA but still please read. I don't know how to start so I'll cut to the chase.

For the last couple of months I've noticed hearing louder sounds make popping in my ears. I have been listening to loud music on headphones.
I've seen an audiologist and I can only thank God no real damage has been done, my hearing turn out to be normal.
But, the noise sensitivity remains. And the noise I'm talking about is speach, handling dishes, everyday life sounds. Every time I hear something like that, my ears start to hurt and make popping sounds. I've found on the net that this kind of sensitivity can be caused by loud noise.
I realised in my case the noise were headphones, which I used to listen to music really loud.

I've never regretted anything so bad in my life. I don't remember the last time I've felt so horrible. This feels literally like a nightmare.
The word 'permanent' always scared me when I read about diseases and stuff like that. And now it happened to me. I'm only 20. I'll have to live with it for the rest of my life. I can only pray for better now.

And the worst part is it's purely my fault. It only happened because I'm so stupid. It's not like I'm a musician, so it happened as a side effect of my job. No. I'm just that retarded. Hey let's screw things up!

This thread is really a worning and a wake up call (aside from ranting).
Now I long for the good old days in high school when I was bullied an my biggest issue was SA. You never know how you love something until you lose it. If I could return to my previous life like George Bailey in It's a Wonderful Life, it would really be a gift to see what I really had.

What is most important is your health, not if you got embarrassed the other day. Remember that.

If you're listening to loud music please stop. Especially headphones are dangerous. Do not use them to mask the noise around you or to block out people talking if you're uncomfortable in the bus. If you can get a pair of speakers for your computer. Headphones easily trick you into going louder and louder. And when it's too late it's too late.

I can't describe how much I wish I haven't done this. Next time you put on headphones please remember this thread.

ImNotMyIllness

Thank you for this writing this thread! I use to be really good about the volume on my headphones but lately I've been careless. Your experience is a wake up call!

Health problems scare me too. It's like, just when you think you have it so bad, another thing can be taken away. Your health is the most important. And yet, I abuse myself so bad with food. Eating the worse junk food, loading up on carbs at night. That's going to have major consequences. I better snap out of this routine, or I will pay big!

Thanks again. We need to take care of our health. My heart goes out to those with health problems.

laure15

I listen to music everyday and put on my earbuds everytime. Now I'm having second thoughts. Thanks for sharing this.

Lamb

Thanks for sharing. I basically eat, sleep and breathe music. I love to blast it especially when I'm in a foul mood. I'll try to remember this. I cut back on concert going for that very fear of hearing loss.

SoScared

Me too – I have tinnitus because of loud headphone use. Just because you do not experience it when you are listening to the music does not mean that you will not get it later on, even years later as I did. Our ears were simply not designed to have loud music played for long duration through headphones.

There is currently no cure for tinnitus.

Me too – I have tinnitus because of loud headphone use. Just because you do not experience it when you are listening to the music does not mean that you will not get it later on, even years later as I did. Our ears were simply not designed to have loud music played for long duration through headphones.

There is currently no cure for tinnitus.

How many years later did you get the tinnitus SoScared? if you don't mind me asking?

I have used listening to loud music through headphones to de-stress for years and years. After reading this I am worried that while there is no damage now, it may in fact come in the future.:sad:

Thank you for posting this thread takethislife. I will have to research this more.