"Two Brains"

powerfulthoughts

NOTE: The following is something I wrote for my and my friend's web site/blog thing. I know it's kind of a theoretical concept, but I wanted to post it here.

---

I consider myself a very rational person. I believe that I can analyze and understand things very well. I think most people with social phobia can, as shown on the various forums I have traveled through. Which makes me wonder why, if we can be so rational and analytical, we cannot overcome something we know so much about so intimately.

This rational thought seems to be operating on its own, separate part of the brain. There is a surface thought process going on that is trying to override the part of the brain that has already been formed and trained in the ways of social phobia. It is almost as if we have a separate, sub-conscious brain that we cannot control. I believe, from various items I've read, along with my own experience, that this "second brain" learns knowledge only through a combination of mental-physical-emotional experience. It has nothing to do with rationality.

For example, if a child is berated in a school setting with insults and severe mental abuse, then the physical/emotional feeling which is being experienced is indelibly imprinted into this child psyche. This "second brain" has learned through this emotional feeling of guilt/shame/insecurity that people are to be feared. Even though the child may know rationally that not ALL people are like this, his "second brain" or emotional part of the brain, whatever we may call it, has experienced a combination of traumatic mental and physical sensations that tell him to fear this happening again, regardless of rationality.

Surface knowledge and rational thinking have very little to do with overcoming what has already been imprinted and learned into the "second brain." Since the way this unconscious part of the brain works is through the emotional/mental/physical sensations, the most likely way to truly overcome social phobia is to have somebody elicit these sensations of the brain in a positive way.

To counteract this shameful feeling that was learned in the subconscious "second brain" we must get somebody to elicit feelings of pride, honor, and pleasure for being who we are as human beings. To get rid of insecure feelings we must interact with people who will approve of us, and strongly encourage us with a sense of truly caring about us. Again, this all stimulates a combination of mental, physical and emotional sensations that is required for us to feel good and well as human beings. This will teach the subconscious a new way of "being and feeling."

Of course it won't be easy to obtain these things from other people, especially since we have already subconsciously learned how to feel and be within our second brain, which sort of makes us shy away from actually seeking them out. But, since "knowledge is power," maybe at least we can now seek out what we know we need from people. You can't look for treasure without a map, so at least knowing what you're looking for can be incredibly helpful.

Last edited:
I agree. And i think this "2nd-brain" may quite possibly be the reason why we cannot escape from our problems of SA, OCD, depression,...

Also, i feel the reason why i never seem to make barely any progress with any of my main problems/disorders is due to my "life plan" or "destiny" being "written in stone" in my 2nd-brain. Which explains why practically ALL of my many, varied efforts (mainly involving my logical/fore-brain) are a "complete flop". My logical brain is trying to beat my illogical/sunconscious/2nd brain, and it can never win, as the latter is WAY more powerful. No matter WHAT i try/do, i ALWAYS return to my default/imprinted life-destiny, that of being extremely unhappy/miserable. For a few years now, i have been wondering if some forms of "subconscious targeting" may be the ONLY way to get past my problems, as all my logical attempts are tbh, "a joke". Bring out the "big guns" (to combat the "big foe").

gustavofring

Interesting.

What do you think of the quote: "Logic will not change an emotion, but action will."

Add positive affirmation and approval from others to that quote and I think it applies to your theory.

hippiechild

I don't think that rationality is any better represented in the social phobic group than in any other demographic made up of people who aren't cognitively impaired.

This, along with a whole slew of self-aggrandizing beliefs about social phobia (Which aren't entirely without function.. and may actually be integral to functioning with social phobia) are the base of the social phobics' bias and irrationality.

just watch

Yes, of course we have "two brains" in the metaphorical sense.. a more 'primitive' limbic system and the highly developed telencephalon, which we know as the cerebral cortex... id vs superego, reptilian brain vs mammalian brain, prefrontal cortex vs amygdala.. all just previous simplifications of our dissonant condition of being capable of metacognition, but having that capability driven by, at its root, emotional, fear/reward-based cortical structures.

We can think it, rationalize it and abstract it, but we probably don't totally mean any of it when shovel comes to pushing.

Last edited:

powerfulthoughts

I don't think that rationality is any better represented in the social phobic group than in any other demographic made up of people who aren't cognitively impaired.

I don't think so either. But often times I find that in various writings and discussions on the topic of social phobia, that there is often an implication or assumption that those with SP are somehow less rational or logical... simply because they cannot get past the severe fear and insecurity paralyzing them. However it's not a matter of being rational or not, it's an emotional impairment . The person with SP can be just as logical and rational as the most emotionally healthy person, but yet many can come across as weak, scared children. My point was to make clear that social phobia is not an impairment of the rational mind at all. It is of a deeper, subconscious, and "harder-to-get-to" part of our mind that is the root cause.

Yes, of course we have "two brains" in the metaphorical sense.. a more 'primitive' limbic system and the highly developed telencephalon, which we know as the cerebral cortex... id vs superego, reptilian brain vs mammalian brain, prefrontal cortex vs amygdala.. all just previous simplifications of our dissonant condition of being capable of metacognition, but having that capability driven by, at its root, emotional, fear/reward-based cortical structures.

I've read various theories about the "triune brain." But I'm not really convinced about it. I don't believe there has been any benefits in psychology by theorizing that we are working on three brain systems built into one. This is hypothetical evolutionary biology, which I am not convinced is helpful.

We can think it, rationalize it and abstract it, but we probably don't totally mean any of it when shovel comes to pushing.

The best thing we can do to overcome social phobia is to put it into terms that people can understand and relate to. To me, that is relating the mysteries of the mind and brain into parabolic terms that others can relate to.

powerfulthoughts

I agree. And i think this "2nd-brain" may quite possibly be the reason why we cannot escape from our problems of SA, OCD, depression,...

Also, i feel the reason why i never seem to make barely any progress with any of my main problems/disorders is due to my "life plan" or "destiny" being "written in stone" in my 2nd-brain. Which explains why practically ALL of my many, varied efforts (mainly involving my logical/fore-brain) are a "complete flop". My logical brain is trying to beat my illogical/sunconscious/2nd brain, and it can never win, as the latter is WAY more powerful. No matter WHAT i try/do, i ALWAYS return to my default/imprinted life-destiny, that of being extremely unhappy/miserable. For a few years now, i have been wondering if some forms of "subconscious targeting" may be the ONLY way to get past my problems, as all my logical attempts are tbh, "a joke". Bring out the "big guns" (to combat the "big foe").

Yeah, being imprinted with social phobic, fear based programming into your emotional "second brain" seems impossible to overcome. And it probably is if you are simply trying to use logic and rationality. Our "second brain" only obtains knowledge and learns through other people. That's why therapists are often helpful. Not because they are "teaching" the person anything rationally; rather, they are teaching your emotional "second brain" that you are worthy, loved, cared for--that you have honor, pride and dignity. They are stimulating the emotional-mental-physical sensations that are required for you second brain to learn and grow. Other people provide feelings of wellness for us -- and no matter how much we philosophize and try to "break it down," we will fail until we get the basic human needs that our second brain requires from others.