Temporary anxiety fixes to take before big events? (dances, presentations...etc)

Iseesky

I get EXTREMELY nervous before presentations (they can be a minute long...it doesn't matter) at school. It's getting more and more unbearable. I get flu-like symptoms beforehand. Cold sweat, heart palpitations, vomiting, shaking, hot flashes...and some that I'd rather not list! :p It's completely terrible and sometimes I'm nervous months before the actual presentation!

I have to do one on thursday and for the past 3 weeks I've been dreading it. I haven't been able to enjoy anything. Even while watching a movie the presentation sneaks up in my head.

Skipping the presentation is my number one option at the moment (I don't do it often. Most of the time I suck it up...), but if I could, I'd rather do it...without anxiety. Are there any medicines (natural or otherwise) I can take on the days that I have presenations? Someone mentioned beta-blockers to me...Anyone have experience with these? I've never gotten meds for anything anxiety related so it's new to me. Do I just explain my situation to my doctor? Is it likely that she will prescribe me something just for that?

What types of over the counter meds could I look into? Natural alternatives? Nothing smoke-related. :D

Scooter

Natural remedies only work for a minority, that's why there 'remedies' and not medications. As long as they don't claim any 'medical' benefits they don't have to be tested in the same way. Trial and error, you may find one that works for you, if you're lucky, but you'd spend a lot of money trying them on other peoples say-so.
Some things are just hard and you just have to wear it. You could try something like autogenic relaxation, there'd be some on the net, it's self relaxation techniques designed to balance the sympathetic & parasympathetic systems and reduce overall anxiety over time.

chopin83

Relaxation ... try meditation techniques...

I would strongly recommend that you try to visualize yourself doing this presentation... the power of imagination has no limits , try imagining that you feel very relaxed and that the people who are looking are you just don't deserve all the stress and pain you are inflicting to yourself! You could also imagine that the people around you are just animals or trees perhaps , just try to think less about what people may think about your presentation and more about what you want to say :p , easier said than done , I know :p

Noca

Banned
I use Xanax or Klonopin for anything majorly anxiety provoking, works pretty good for both physical and mental symptoms. Not good for tests though as it can numb your numb mind. Beta-blockers like Inderal just treat physical anxiety symptoms. Which ever one fits your problems, just ask your doctor for.

Fighter86

The presentation's probably over judging by the date of your post, but I would say you could try Xanax if you ever are in the same situation again. I've never tried anything else so I can't make comparisons but I was prescribed that at a time was my anxiety was pretty unbearable and what surprised me was the first time I took it, I was much calmer within like half hour, a miracle I would say. However, the med is known to create a dependency and tolerance so only take it during the rare times you have a presentation.