Suffering

Hey everyone, Im 19 and have been suffering from this terrible disease for 3/4 years. These days I feel almost suicidal because no matter how much I try, i cant overcome the staring. I started taking Lexapro some months ago but hasnt helped realy. I have dropped from uni because I could no longer take it....everyone talks about me. On top of that I have evil neighbors that stalk me and constantly shout slurs at me. This problem has ruined my whole life....anywhere I go. I have even stopped attending church. I dont know how much more I can take...life seems so bleak and miserable. Anyways I thank you all for sharing your stories...it really gives hope to hear others.

Also, to the poster before me (forgot name)...I have also noticed that my symptoms are much worse when I do not sleep well. I do think there is a link. God bless all of you :)

TheTemp

First of all, welcome to the forum. :)

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with staring. You are not a bad person for staring, everyone does it, to different degrees though. It's all a matter of what you do once someone catches you staring; do you keep staring or look away? It's not something worth reevaluating your whole life over. It's actually a good sign. It means you are curious, people fascinate you. I sometimes catch myself staring at people in cafes and restaurants; just because I am by nature a very curious person. Once the person catches me staring, I have a friendly non-judgmental look on my face, in turn, the person doesn't mind. I never used to be like this, I'm used to having people stare at me my whole life; I live in Lebanon, everyone here is so judgmental about image. What I'm wearing, how I'm behaving, all that is put under close inspection. So I'm used to it, I'm almost immune to it now. It's human nature, it's fine, it's okay. It's better than being completely oblivious to your environment. Just smile at people once they catch you staring, or just look away as if you're just inspecting your environment. It's totally okay.

What do people say about you? Are you sure you're not being paranoid. I'm sure you're a very interesting person but don't you think people are too preoccupied with their own problems to put such emphasis on ONE person? And you know what, **** your neighbors. They have no right to shout slurs at you.

My anxiety and self esteem (which are so related) are also worse when I don't get enough sleep. That's why it's important to get your 8-10 hours of sleep... exercise too! And go to church for the love of God, I pray every night and I thank God for everything that I've been given. It's part of the healing process.

God bless you :) and again, welcome to the forum. Stick around, you'll find that it's a very welcoming place. :)

Welcome to socialphobiaworld forum...
Also, to the poster before me (forgot name)...I have also noticed that my symptoms are much worse when I do not sleep well. I do think there is a link. God bless all of you :)
Falkor? ("cant eat in groups at mental hospital" thread; i've just come from there)

Just a quick idea: Maybe you need to find sth to replace the church with? Still reading bible? If not, then you need sth else for that "spiritual nourishment/support", now more than ever. Perhaps regular positive affirmations? And feeding yourself postive thoughts throughout the day also is good.

laure15

These days I feel almost suicidal because no matter how much I try, i cant overcome the staring. I started taking Lexapro some months ago but hasnt helped realy. I have dropped from uni because I could no longer take it....everyone talks about me. On top of that I have evil neighbors that stalk me and constantly shout slurs at me. This problem has ruined my whole life....anywhere I go.

Me too! It feels like I am reading my own thoughts for the most part.
I also have a staring problem, which usually is very noticeable when I'm nervous in public. I dropped out of several uni's already; my classmates and my dormmates were talking negatively about me and spreading rumors.
Everywhere I move, I also have nosy and mean neighbors verbally abusing me and doing pranks on us.

Once the person catches me staring, I have a friendly non-judgmental look on my face, in turn, the person doesn't mind....Just smile at people once they catch you staring, or just look away as if you're just inspecting your environment. It's totally okay.

I wish people were that nice to me. Unfortunately, when people catch me staring at them and I look away, they get angry and annoyed; some of them stomp their feet in my direction everytime I look in their direction. They also keep talking about me negatively, as if they cannot let the topic go. I live in Texas, where everything has to be "bigger and better", so I guess people here have a big ego and are not afraid to bully others.

Unfortunately people are not very kind. Like Laure15 said, people are not too kind in my world at least. They start talking and spread rumors...I already dropped from uni due to that. I don't know what I have to do to get better

OCDd

dont give up man, were all here for you if you need to talk, were here for you. maybe go to your psychologist for more therapy, and talk to your psychiatrist about different meds. I am currently on Lexapro as well, which hasn't worked for me yet but i may need to switch meds. find something that will take your mind off of it, read the bible and pray that helps too. i know it can be hard but try to ignore what those asss holes think when they shout stuff at you. maybe find a way to express your feelings, drawing, painting, film, ect. hope this helps out, Good Luck! and remember -

Persist

Until

Something

Happens

Last edited:
Thanks man. It all helps a lot. I haven't given up yet, but I don't know how much more I can go like this. I do too have to change meds...I started taking abilify and it seemed like it was helping, but my insurance doesnt cover it so I stopped taking it. I recommend abilify, it may help you too. Sometimes I just feel like giving up :kickingmyself:

OCDd

i know it seems like that sometimes but you cant give up. Being defeated is often a temporary condition, giving up is what makes it permanent - idk who says this. Theirs gotta be a way u can afford the meds. your parents maybe, wife, girlfriend, brother, idk it would be helpful if you could get back on them. ive given you all my advice. hope things clear up SOON, because i know things will clear up eventually. im here and so are all of us if you ever need to talk, take care! :)