Something is wrong with me

chaos1j

I am 31yrs old and just figuring out that something is wrong with me. I really thought I was the only one with this problem until just recently. I guess I always knew I was different but have used alcohol and drugs as a way of getting up the nerve to push myself into social situations which has worked well in my teens and 20's but now that I'm getting older I have a wife and kids and I'm trying to be more responsible for them and for myself. I now find that I have no friends left because I don't do the bar thing anymore and I have a hard time talking to people even including family. Everytime I try to talk to people I feel that they think I'm weird or awkward then I turn red and get really nervous. It really makes me want to run out the door but if I did that then I would feel even more uncomfortable the next time I spoke with them....maybe I'm being paranoid but I think that's part of my problem. I think to myself that I'm not doing anything or saying anything weird but I can't help feel that way and it makes me just want to keep to myself to avoid that feeling all together. ::(:

I'm new on here and this is my first post.

Niteowl

I am 31yrs old and just figuring out that something is wrong with me. I really thought I was the only one with this problem until just recently. I guess I always knew I was different but have used alcohol and drugs as a way of getting up the nerve to push myself into social situations which has worked well in my teens and 20's but now that I'm getting older I have a wife and kids and I'm trying to be more responsible for them and for myself. I now find that I have no friends left because I don't do the bar thing anymore and I have a hard time talking to people even including family. Everytime I try to talk to people I feel that they think I'm weird or awkward then I turn red and get really nervous. It really makes me want to run out the door but if I did that then I would feel even more uncomfortable the next time I spoke with them....maybe I'm being paranoid but I think that's part of my problem. I think to myself that I'm not doing anything or saying anything weird but I can't help feel that way and it makes me just want to keep to myself to avoid that feeling all together. ::(:

I'm new on here and this is my first post.

Hi chaos1j - visiting this site should hopefully shed some light on the matter for you. These thoughts and feelings of yours are common with people here, so you may have come to the right place. I'm sure you can relate to what a lot of users here post each day, so it's good that you found the site. Spend some time reading some of the topics here, particularly How are you feeling? and Post your random thoughts/feelings etc - I think it helps a lot to know that so many other people share similar thoughts.

Welcome to the forums. Nice to meet you. :]

Feathers

Hi & Welcome!

It's good you are making an effort and being brave!! Also for the sake of your kids and family, to be a good role model!

There are a lot of things you can learn to deal with this better, just seeing other people (even some really COOL ones!) may have problems with this can be really helpful too, yup!

Wishing you good luck on the way!

Also, some cities/towns/areas can have really low choice in 'things to do' for people who don't want to hang around bars - maybe the whole family can look around, or eventually even start something? (Or see what's available in near-by places etc.)