solo travel??

why:(me

Hi there, Really wont to see more of the world and just wondered has anyone ever travelled abroad alone or with a travel group or considered doing this?

spurs13

Hi there, Really wont to see more of the world and just wondered has anyone ever travelled abroad alone or with a travel group or considered doing this?

I've never been into travelling at all before, but I love the idea of doing it through couchsurfing/hostels. Its much cheaper and lets you get to know the culture first hand through meeting locals. The problem? I would need a friend or someone as shy to accompany me. Social skills become even more important when there are language barriers...never mind the fact that I'm one of the most open minded people out there :idontknow:

www.couchsurfing.org for those of you who dont know what it is.

Well I'm moving to Europe on the 28th and I have 1 month of vacation before school starts there so I'm sure I will be moving around Europe alone, it seems fun to me, we'll see :thumbup:

Odo

Banned
Yes, heaps of times... I went with a group once, but it was frustrating so since then I've been going alone-- not that I've had much of a choice.

jonas89

after 3 weeks I will be moving abroad due to school, and also that will be the first time Im going abroad, and I will be travelling alone and moving from parents house hehe
So everything there will be new for me :)

sahxox

Social skills become even more important when there are language barriers...QUOTE]

I went to France last year and didn't know much other than the basic bonjour... and I was more confident over there cos I thought it was funny being the foreigner for a change, even if it took them a while to understand what I was trying to say. I also found it easier to talk to people from other countries, like the UK or America, cos there was something cool about meeting people from the other side of the world that overrode the usual anxiety.

after 3 weeks I will be moving abroad due to school, and also that will be the first time Im going abroad, and I will be travelling alone and moving from parents house hehe
So everything there will be new for me :)

Yeah same here, not my first time abroad though but it will feel like that. Where are you going?

jaim38

As a woman I wouldn't travel alone especially in other countries because it could be dangerous. I heard of women couchsurfing and getting raped which is scary. If I get the money and time, I would travel with a group.

JohnnAY

I've always fantasized about doing something like that. Gather up my things and take off somewhere to find myself (cheesy). If I ever muster up the courage, it would probably be like to Peru or something.

neardeath

'04 flew to Amsterdam and took the train all the way through Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Italy to Sicily, where my son had been in the Navy for 3-1/2 years. I was like a mother bear going to her cub :bigsmile:

When I was 18 I took a plane to Chicago and stayed there a week before flying to Kansas City and staying there two weeks. Didn't take anybody along. And drove to Florida a few times alone to meet some friends on the beach.

mikebird

Banned
I set my switch to strictly accompanied and never otherwise

I've been my myself for weeks, all around an utterly alien country with no hint of their language at all. It's a proper adventure. It was well worth every minute, with the expectation to link up again with the person I started with, and did

LIFE = LUCK

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
From experience there is no danger for a female to travel alone if you travel wisely (be informed and stay away from potential troubles).

First time I left alone, I think I stayed 4-6 days just hanging out in my hostel room (besides going to buy some food next door) because I was too self-conscious to deal with people. BUT after 2 months travelling, I was like a happy fish in the sea.

I heard some weird stories about couchsurfing too, from girls sleeping at guy's places mostly, but I think there is a reputation system on the website, so I guess if you choose families or females with good reputations that should be safe enough. I never used that and never will though, it involves way too much socializing for me. I also avoid youth hostels, since they're jam packed with cool social people who really wants to keep being cool and social. Though it's perfect if you want to meet cool and social people. haha

Overall it's a really good way to overcome social phobia (for me at least), so I think you should really do it :)

Edit - I'm talking to you as if you were a girl, but in fact I have no idea. I haven't heard any story from guys about weird experiences with couchsurfing.

Last edited:

Steelsoul

It would be cool to travel aboard alone. You can be yourself, visit any places you like, gain new experiences that you never had before. Think about all the cool stuff you can do, new people you can meet. For those with SA, it might not be good to interact with strangers, so you'd better stay in group. But going alone really boosts your confidence

Odo

Banned
I also avoid youth hostels, since they're jam packed with cool social people who really wants to keep being cool and social. Though it's perfect if you want to meet cool and social people. haha/QUOTE]

Me too, except they're so cheap! You really need to investigate the place in advance and check its reputation though… or you might not get any sleep.

I'd also like to add that even if you feel more secure in a group, it can be super annoying when you're traveling because people won't always agree on what they want to do and things like deciding where to eat can end up being torture.

I've had the best times when I plan a flexible schedule that covers a lot but leaves room for several rest days… the spontaneous things are probably the most awesome and I would even say that if you go in a group, sometimes the locals are going to be more reluctant to approach you and you could miss out on things.