Social Phobia and Avoidant Personality Disorder

SongOfSongs

What is the difference? Do any of you suffer from AvPD? How can you tell if you have AvPD and not Social Phobia/SAD?

Septor

I'm still not sure what the different between social anxiety,social phobia and AvPD are so don't hold me to this but avpd is serve form of sp and like other personality disorders they are harder to treat.

Like harvey said you need to seek out a professional help and talk to them about it.

Alaina

Hi. I have AvPD, and it is something that can be comorbid with social phobia, but is different in some ways.

I know it's annoying to not really answer the question and just post a link, but when I had questions I went on this website and it was perfect, it tells you all about AvPD.

http://www.tljones.co.uk/apd/apd.htm

(on the site, use the links on the left-hand side of the page)

But here are the DSM-IV criteria, just so I've at least half answered the question:

A pervasive pattern of social inhibition, feelings of inadequacy & hypersensitivity to negative evaluation, beginning by early adulthood & present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by 4 (or more) of the following:

1. avoids occupational activities that involve significant interpersonal contact because of fears of criticism, disapproval or rejection
2. is unwilling to get involved with people unless certain of being liked
3. shows restraint within intimate relationships because of the fear of being shamed or ridiculed
4. is preoccupied with being criticized or rejected in social situations
5. is inhibited in new interpersonal situations because of feelings of inadequacy
6. views self as socially inept, personally unappealing or inferior to others
7. is unusually reluctant to take personal risks or to engage in any new activities because they may prove embarrassing
[/quote]

I think maybe part of the difference is that with AvPD, you're not necessarily physiologically terrified at social contact. I have never suffered panic attacks, and don't get many physiological symptoms of fear when I'm in a social situation, but I certainly get much mental strife, which causes me to avoid these things in the future.

Septor

Yea thats sound a lot like me but it seems like there a fine line between social phobia and AvPD.

ShiJai

Avoidant Personality Disorder Home ( AvPD )

This site can offer answers to pretty much any question. It also has a message board, chat site, etc.
A lot of shrinks disagree with each other on whether or not AvPD is an extreme form of s.p. or not, but generally the symptoms are the same (even the physical ones for some people). It's usually only the severity that differs. It's the same again for social anxiety, though some will say this is the lesser out of the three diagnosis'. :?

ShiJai.

gg

:arrow: Avoidant personality disorder is characterized by extreme social anxiety. People with this disorder often feel inadequate, avoid social situations, and seek out jobs with little contact with others. Avoidants are fearful of being rejected and worry about embarassing themselves in front of others. They exaggerate the potential difficulties of new situations to rationalize avoiding them. Often, they will create fantasy worlds to substitute for the real one. Unlike schizoid personality disorder, avoidants yearn for social relations yet feel they are unable to obtain them. They are frequently depressed and have low self-confidence.