Social Anxiety - Learning to Change

powerfulthoughts

As I often ponder the different ways to overcome social anxiety, I often come to an idea that is very helpful for myself, so I like to air out my ideas and share them with others.

So a new idea and realization came to me recently. That is, social anxiety is like our native language. Just as english is my native language, social anxiety has become the same for my way of thinking feeling, and acting. And although I may never forget my native language, that doesn't mean I can't learn a new one, and to immerse myself in the new language.

I have recently been learning spanish. And although it is a slow process, I have been making some great progress, and can now read a lot of different articles and things in spanish. I am learning new words every day, grammar, punctuation, etc.

And I will metaphorically compare learning that language to learning a new way of life regarding my social anxiety. Just as in learning a new verbal language, I have been learning, however slowly, a new language of thoughts, feelings, self-esteem, and just my entire paradigm of the world and social interactions. There is a learning process that CAN change the way you view yourself, life, the world. It is slow and arduous though, just like learning a new verbal language.

I have been looking people in the eye more, learning that it is okay. Learning to keep my body language strong, speaking with a loud voice. Meditating with positive affirmation and thoughts as I do. Stopping the metaphorical voices of shame and ridicule. Day by day, if I am consistent, learning the new language of confidence and self-worth and esteem, I will slowly start living and thinking this way. In fact, this has already started to happen.

One thing I have been working on today, is realizing that I am my own domain. I am the alpha male of myself, and nobody can intrude on my self-worth or invade my strength as a human being.

There are so many things to learn in terms of learning a new language of the mind, thoughts and feelings; that it would require books and books of learning, and I would say a couple years of consistent learning without giving up. I have been learning via books, websites, self reflection and introspection, meditation, prayer, etc. There are so many new things to learn in terms of body language, self-beliefs, self-thoughts/talk, etc, etc., that if you keep learning and growing every day, eventually you will start to feel the growth and change of the new "language."

Thanks for reading. :)

ikbenrifi

Gracias por tu articulo, es muy bien !

i hope i didn't make a mistake in this sentence,lol, or else it would be a shame on me !

I really loved your post, so postive ! i think the key here to learning new body and thinking language is patience and a big amount of self confidence witout seeking validation from others till the results show up.

thanks for sharing :)

Srijita52

I completely agree with you and that's a very positive way of thinking. Good luck with both learning spaninsh and overcoming social anxiety.