Social Anxiety and Work

ChibiChick

Does anyone have trouble working because of their anxiety?
Does anyone work without their bosses or associates knowing of their disorder?
Do you believe it's better to keep your diagnosis a secret from your employers/ co-worker's or just come right out about it?

LazyHermitCrab

I wouldn't feel comfortable saying that but it's up to you. I would ask To maybe work from home some days or have a 4 day work week (10 hr days 4 days a week) to cut down on stress

Sacrament

I try to push through because I know the exposure is good for me. I used to work at a callcenter and it was lika 100 computers in a single, large room + A/C. Very warm room, my face was constantly flushed from a combination of heat and being self-conscious around pretty girls. One time I was doing a part-time gig at the local Social Security offices (helping people register online and whatnot) and the A/C was also cranked up to hell temperature, and I could feel that my face was really warm/red while talking to a woman and her daughter, so I excused myself and went to a separate, cooler room to take a breath. It was really bad.

ChibiChick

I wouldn't feel comfortable saying that but it's up to you. I would ask To maybe work from home some days or have a 4 day work week (10 hr days 4 days a week) to cut down on stress

Uh, I actually only work eights hours a day, five days a week but, it's still pretty a pretty stressful situation for me.
I work as a cashier but I have a lot of trouble communicating with the people like I am supposed to.
I honestly struggle everday to stand up right and not faint from all the adrenaline that courses through my veins...

ChibiChick

I understand your predicament all too well. I have to excuse myself to the bathroom many times to calm myself down at work.
I think my manager thinks I have some type of bladder disorder or something. Lol.

Kiwong

I told everyone, some were understanding, some where unkind, some didn't believe me, some didn't care. I'm not sure it was the right thing to do. Right now I am on extended leave, and I feel safe not being around people.

ChibiChick

I told everyone, some were understanding, some where unkind, some didn't believe me, some didn't care. I'm not sure it was the right thing to do. Right now I am on extended leave, and I feel safe not being around people.

I believe I will have no choice but to tell them eventually with the way my anxiety is worsening.
They'll notice something is wrong with me beteventually if I star t to do something wierd enough...
So, can you give me any tips on how to tell them?

Kiwong

I believe I will have no choice but to tell them eventually with the way my anxiety is worsening.
They'll notice something is wrong with me beteventually if I star t to do something wierd enough...
So, can you give me any tips on how to tell them?

I think the important thing is that management/supervisors particularly those who will be sympathetic know.

Do have regular meetings with your supervisors to assess how you are going with your work? I told my supervisor in a performance agreement meeting, she was understanding.

worrywort

I spent a year working as a cashier. Even though I found it really hard, looking back I credit that job for giving me a lot of the social confidence I have today. I learnt to focus on the customer and what their needs where and to shift the focus away from me and my self-conscious doubts, and because there were so many customers everyday, it really drummed itself into me. I dread the thought of ever having to work retail again, now, but I can see its value. I work as a cleaner now which is much more isolated, which I like, but I still have to endure occasional awkward encounters.

Personally I try not to tell too many people about my social difficulties. Partly because I don't want to use it as an excuse, but also because I fear it might make things more awkward. I'm not sure other people will quite know what to make of it, and some may treat me like I'm disabled or special needs. I just think it might make things weird, but that's me. It depends on your own situation.

ChibiChick

I think the important thing is that management/supervisors particularly those who will be sympathetic know.

Do have regular meetings with your supervisors to assess how you are going with your work? I told my supervisor in a performance agreement meeting, she was understanding.

We have weekly assessment reviews which are basically the managers watching you during your shift to see of you are doing your job right.
(which I am not doing becuase of my anxiety)
It's pretty frustrating since I can't do anything properly if I have someone looking at me.
managers don't know I have a disorder.
At least I think they don't...
I was able to tell one person I worked with about it but all he said was "you need to get medicated" and left it at that.
So yeah....
I don't have anything like that since no one I work with (besides that one person) knows about my anxiety.
:thinking: