Scared of looking for a job, scared to volunteer! How to build up to this? Comment?

shinghan

Don't know if other people experience this. I was trying to do some goal setting and found myself stuck trying to overcome being afraid of looking for a job or volunteer work. I have a bunch of places I want to volunteer for, but making that first call/contact seems too tough. Are there any other ways of building up to that point? I feel like I'll be trapped here if I don't do something about it.

ImNotMyIllness

It's a rejection issue. I'm afraid of a potential employer rejecting me and I'm afraid of landing a job and then feeling "different". sigh!

Niceguy23

I dont know where you live but most jobs here in the US you apple for online. if you can apply online just wait for the phone call or email from employer if they are interested in hiring you

jaim38

I'm also afraid to look for a job or volunteer. I just don't want to look or sound awkward to people and be alienated again. Back when I used to attend classes on campus, I was ostracized and bullied in many of my classes. It doesn't matter which school I go to (which is several), I end up being labeled as the black sheep. Even when I volunteer, I give off this weird vibe that people don't like and I get labeled as stupid. And back when I used to live with my brother in apartments, I get hated everywhere I move, it doesn't matter where.

I don't want the same thing to happen to me again, but I don't know what to do. I'm stuck. I am like the "people hating stuffed animal" that people like to hate.

I can relate. I hate looking for a job specifically due to the fact that I don't like seeing people I know (from school, other jobs, etc.) I judge myself.

I agree that a lot of stuff you can fill out online. Maybe write out what you'd like to say on a piece of paper and practice it out loud.

Maybe write potential questions the employers/ volunteer staff will ask so you're not caught off guard. Then you'll be a little more at ease. I've called businesses after hours because I know nobody will pick up the phone and I can say exactly what I want. Then they'll call you back the nest day and do most of the talking anyway. Hope that helps!

dottie

winners do what losers won't do. so, what category do you choose to fall into?

yes, it is difficult. you're not the only one.

ImNotMyIllness

Jaim38.....Sorry to hear that. I know how it feels to be alienated. You sound like you really need a friend that you can hang out with.
I wonder if there is someone on this forum in your area? I think it would help. :)

Flanscho

Well, I guess these days, you can apply for most job via an email application? That makes it fairly easy to apply at many places quickly. I just get nervous when I'm then asked to show up in person. But as said, got to pay the bills somehow.

kc1296426

Don't be afraid of rejection. Life is life, sometimes you can't get it all. Try your BEST and be your BEST and if they reject you, then they're missing out on someone who is amazing.

Honestly that's really how it is, and you have to start being more positive :)

And just make the first call. Just tell yourself you can do it, because you really can. If it goes sour, then it goes sour... it just helps you improve for the next time you call in or to another place. Practice makes perfect with anything in life! <3

mikebird

Banned
Scared of looking for a job, scared to volunteer! How to build up to this? Commen

It's a rejection issue. I'm afraid of a potential employer rejecting me and I'm afraid of landing a job and then feeling "different". sigh!

Yep

What kind of logic do recruiters use, to do their special rejection magic?

They probably try to seek out a skilled meerkat to be the USA president, and JCB digger, HGV 18-wheeler driver, small grocery store owner, actor, helicopter pilot, beautician, plumber astrophysicist, sales manager, chef, optician, author, lawyer, midwife, neurologist and psychologist all-in-one, nothing nevertheless, someone who has to change their gender more than 156 times over his / her life.

mikebird

Banned
Scared of looking for a job, scared to volunteer! How to build up to this? Commen

Don't be afraid of rejection. Life is life, sometimes you can't get it all. Try your BEST and be your BEST and if they reject you, then they're missing out on someone who is amazing.

Honestly that's really how it is, and you have to start being more positive :)

And just make the first call. Just tell yourself you can do it, because you really can. If it goes sour, then it goes sour... it just helps you improve for the next time you call in or to another place. Practice makes perfect with anything in life! <3

Of course! You have to be the best of your best, and the best of everybody else's best of their best, and the best of any other thing of every other thing of everybody's favourite, when you were born, and now, and until you perish. Otherwise you're a loser. You can't be yourself. Just someone who isn't you. Congrats