SA isn't real?

Anxy

One day I heard that dyslexia doesn't exist and it got me thinking. Maybe SA doesn't exist? Maybe it's just our imagination? What do you think?

The difference lies in physical versus behavioural.

Social phobia is a phobia (typically a behavioural/thought condition). While we may prone to it, it's not in our genes. It's habits and thought patterns, aided and strengthened by natural tendencies.

Compared to for example syndrome of down, which you're be born with were you to have it. It's not something you would develop over the course of the years like sometimes is the case with social anxiety.

Both are mental conditions and come with their own struggles. Neither are fake.

Last edited:

jaim38

Dyslexia does exist. Albert Einstein has it, from what I recall. If SA doesn't exist, then why do people have panic attacks? Or shiver when in public? Or try to hide from others?

Labyrinthine

My mother would love that. She was constantly picked on when she was younger because of being dyslexic, even by teachers. To this day she can't hold a job.

Odo

Banned
I agree with BlackPuma.

I think there's a general sense of this just being something that we refuse to get over out of childishness or stubbornness, as opposed to something that we can't change about ourselves... so the idea of people needing help for it or simply not getting over it rubs some people the wrong way.

In some ways I think that's true but in others I don't think that SA people are entirely to blame, because after you've hit a certain point with it it turns into a cycle or a spiral that can be really tough to get out of.

nicole1

People who don't understand psychological disorders tend to say they are not real. If you have suffered from one or more of them, you know that they are real. It's simply symptoms given a name, a diagnosis that can or can not be helped.

koyaanisqatsi

This is a good question. The "not real" argument seems dismissive just like the "get over it" statement. People do not understand the mental state, the near-constant, sometimes nagging, even vague fears that we have. There are times that I am terrified w/o having any conscious thought of what it is I'm terrified of. Usually it's an upcoming event that I'm not thinking about. I've been this way as far back in my early childhood that I can remember--back to 5 yo or earlier. Back then it was dismissed as shyness. It's dogged me all my life, affected every thing I've tried to do in school, in my career, and now in my almost comfortable retirement. Why now? I'm trying to move to a new house, and I'm having a very difficult time engaging with the people I need to in order to get moved. Once moved, I'll be OK and be able to live as a recluse once again. At my age, I no longer look for a cure, just the small comforts of being left alone.

Flanscho

"SA" is in the end just a name someone made up to describe a certain condition.

What is real is the way we feel and think.

And with every passing second, we all change. And we can influence the way we change. And we can influence the way we change regarding what is known SA, and as such the situation can be improved.

Livemylife

Dsylexia isn't real? Huh? Where'd you hear that?

Anyway, anxiety is very much a real thing. I think I'm a person who's naturally prone to being anxious...It's something I have to fight because I get overwhelmed easily. Social anxiety is just one of the ways I am anxious. I can't see how it would not be real. Mental illness is very much a real thing.

A Many Splendored Thing

Being reclusive for over 20 years was just my imagination? MY LIFE IS A LIE :eek:

How am I reading this?!
----

What I find interesting is that extrovert and introvert brain stimulation is actually different at all times.

Introverts supposedly have higher stimulation at all times and can get easily overwhelmed from too much(ie many people).

So why is it that both kinds can experience a fear of people?

I consider it to be part of a genetic response. We used to have to fear people before society showed its face. In fact, being stared at is uncomfortable for practically everybody; the brain specifically lights up certain parts when we know we're being watched.

Today's cities are much more massive than anything before. It's a side effect of evolution and a fast changing world.

But bad experiences can also trigger many subconscious thoughts. Much like being good at something can make someone arrogant.

We can only hope to control it the best we can.

Anxy

Now I kind of feel I shouldn't bring up this topic. I feel bad, because of saying these things. It was just me overthinking I guess... You're all right. I think I just was confused because of what the ''normal'' people are sometimes saying when we bring up a mental illness topic.

Fighter86

Being reclusive for over 20 years was just my imagination? MY LIFE IS A LIE :eek:

Lol, I laughed out at this one. I am 9 years and counting (from the time I was professionally diagnoised). I haven't had a single real life friend for that long, and I am neither good at relationships. Its very lonely, I would think SA is very real.