Problems with committing to things

shinghan

Anyone else having troubles sticking to things? Like following a self-help book or exercising or anything really and just immediately stop afterwards? Or is it just me? I've tried reading a whole bunch of books and followed a few of the exercises to manage SA/depression and it ends up me barely doing anything at all.

xDreamseller

Yeh, I can't really stick to doing anything for more than a couple days...and that's assuming that I managed to even start it in the first place. (The later part is becoming tougher and tougher)

MBinMN

Absolutely!

How about plans with people? Does anyone often back out last minute?
Diet n exercise...ha I joined a gym but too worried about what other people think so I can't get myself to go...ugh!!!
Counseling...too anxious to leave house sometimes so never was consistent with making appointments and then I was ashamed or embarrassed and didn't go back.

Zod

I have this massively.

I suspect ADD. Trouble organizing/planning/sticking to things. My room is also a reflection of my mental state, it's perpetually a junkyard.

It's like I can't make clear outlines for myself because I get distracted too easily or simply forget about goals. Even when I've written down a goal the next day I've practically forgotten about it or I simply put it ahead of me again.

Same with exercise. I now try to stick to a routine of jogging and healthy eating again, but I have massive trouble sticking to it. I do want to become healthy and fit though. The motivation is there.

I have a job, in which I get things done. I work at night, so no bosses around and I just stick to a list of tasks. I wish I could somehow transfer that to my daily life. Maybe it's because there's a certain pressure at work, because you simply -have- to do your tasks or you get fired. Also sometimes, you just have to stop thinking and start doing.

Last edited:

Lacombe

I have this problem also. I seem to have obsessive phases where I 100% get behind something whether it is exercise, learning something new or whatever. I give it my all then suddenly I become disinterested and move on to something else. It is very annoying.

Zod

Maybe part of the trouble is that we try and do it all alone?

Often I want to engage in these ventures (learning language, exercise, doing projects, etc.) but because I do it all by myself (not in a team, club, or anything) there's a lack of true commitment. I do it for a while, then I burn out. Other supportive people and places to show up at can be greatly helpful in achieving goals.

MBinMN

i am a bit convinced that i unconciously prevent myself from achieving and from happiness, whenever things start seem like they will work out, when success starts feeling like reality that's when things get wrong, and i completely destroy any chances of those things coming true. i don't know why i do it maybe it is just my mind fooling me into thinking i can do something but not really beleiving it i think. does anyone else relate to this feeling?

Yes my subconscious is very good at self sabotage. Is it easier for us to remain in this doom and gloom anxiety ridden state? Yes because change would cause the mind to panic...its not the safe zone that we have been comfortable with all these years.

Tamara89

I'm terrible at committing to just about everything. In a split second I can be highly motivated, think of something really positive to do and the next just totally forget about what I was just thinking. I don't look after myself at all and eat chocolate like there's no tomorrow.. Just polished off a family size Toblerone as I type this! Surprisingly I'm not fat but im sure that soon enough it's gonna hit me like a ton of bricks! Need to do something about it now!!!........... Wait, what was I just thinking of doing?

Bo592

Yes my subconscious is very good at self sabotage. Is it easier for us to remain in this doom and gloom anxiety ridden state? Yes because change would cause the mind to panic...its not the safe zone that we have been comfortable with all these years.

true we are addicted to crying out for help .afraid of change because we want something to be wrong so we can continue to cry out for help. when nothing wrong with are lives we panic Intel there is something wrong with are lives again.

neardeath

two winters ago I joined a curling team. It was every Thursday. I had anxiety all day every Wed. and Thu. because of it. I only missed when I was sick. I knew they were counting on me to be there. It is easier to stay involved when we have others holding us to it! I totally loved the game once I was there every week, but the fear of returning was constant. I also have the huge interest in new things, then move on to something else. There are only a few constants in my world.

Froggy246

I have this problem also. I seem to have obsessive phases where I 100% get behind something whether it is exercise, learning something new or whatever. I give it my all then suddenly I become disinterested and move on to something else. It is very annoying.
Me too totally. I'll get all excited, go on the web and buy all the gear, order the books etc but then it always falls by the wayside, after some time it will be something else..
Yea maybe it's the ego holding onto an identity or something.

The chemicals generated from negative emotions are suppose to be addictive as well aren't they?
Dr. Ali Binazir: Addiction Recovery: Why We're Addicted to Negative Behaviors

Any thing that will do me any good, like meditating, exercise etc there is some resistance to it coming from somewhere.

Ithior

My study schedule rarely makes it through the 3rd day. All other plans last little time as well.
I try to go to the gym Monday, Thursday and Saturday but most times I skip Thursday. Sometimes I skip it for a whole week but I force myself back the week after.

I had thought about this before and I agree with this post:

Maybe part of the trouble is that we try and do it all alone?

Often I want to engage in these ventures (learning language, exercise, doing projects, etc.) but because I do it all by myself (not in a team, club, or anything) there's a lack of true commitment. I do it for a while, then I burn out. Other supportive people and places to show up at can be greatly helpful in achieving goals.

PseudoLoneWolf

This describes me. I have obsessive and perfectionistic tendencies.