(pretending) to be more confident?

wooaah

I have a huge problem with getting yelled at or even spoken to sternly.

Today my boss was giving me a new assignment. I was to take responsibility of this task, and knowing my personality, my boss was very careful to make sure I understood i had to make the deadlines, and I had to push other people around if their part of the project was late.

"you cannot be too nice (read: too meek)" she said over and over.

Everytime she repeated that i could feel myself shrink in my chair, neck muscles tighten, and i would get this goofy smile i always get when i'm nervous. I'm sure i was completely unconvincing when i answered i would get it done.

How do you guys deal with this situation. I would do anything to be relaxed or at least appear in front of people. I don't believe shyness makes me incompetent but it sure projects the image that i am.

coyote

I've been acting confident in these situations for so long that I'm not really sure anymore whether I'm confident or not - I just do it.

Waybuloo

I've been acting confident in these situations for so long that I'm not really sure anymore whether I'm confident or not - I just do it.

It'll be helpful for the OP if you can enlighten her as to how to achieve this much coveted state

coyote

It'll be helpful for the OP if you can enlighten her as to how to achieve this much coveted state

It goes back to my Marine Corps training - poise, bearing, projection, etc.

How to appear confident when you're really scared ****less.

I'll have to think about this.... to explain, ok?