Positive Affirmations

IntheLabyrinth

Hello SPW,

I am having some difficulty coming up with positive affirmations. As with every other thought I have, I am doubting that what I come up with is worthwhile. Does anyone have some good suggestions of what has worked for them or what would work for me. My issues are varied but here is a sample list of what I want to work on: Lack of confidence in my abilities and intelligence; Paruresis; Body dismorphic disorder; Fear of even the slightest criticism; Feeling like I am not important or worthy of being loved or even liked; and feeling like the whatever I say in conversation is boring or stupid. This is what I have used so far: I am capable of handling judgement and criticism; I can urinate while people are near by or waiting for me; I am attractive, smart, and strong. I can believe most of this on an intellectual level but not at at all on an emotional one.

Metal_isthe_Answer

Hello SPW,

I am having some difficulty coming up with positive affirmations. As with every other thought I have, I am doubting that what I come up with is worthwhile. Does anyone have some good suggestions of what has worked for them or what would work for me. My issues are varied but here is a sample list of what I want to work on: Lack of confidence in my abilities and intelligence; Paruresis; Body dismorphic disorder; Fear of even the slightest criticism; Feeling like I am not important or worthy of being loved or even liked; and feeling like the whatever I say in conversation is boring or stupid. This is what I have used so far: I am capable of handling judgement and criticism; I can urinate while people are near by or waiting for me; I am attractive, smart, and strong. I can believe most of this on an intellectual level but not at at all on an emotional one.

Wish I could give some suggestions but I have a lot of the same insecurities.

Lack of confidence in my abilities and intelligence - I've been very apathetic the past few years
Feeling like I am not important or worthy of being loved or even liked - what makes it worse is when friends or potential friends just ignore you completely
feeling like whatever I say in conversation is boring or stupid - I always have a fear of people just looking at me after I say something thinking, "this guy is freaking moron"

I'm curios to know what Paruresis and Body dismorphic disorders are though

Sacrament

Your mind adapts itself to your attitude. If you switch your thought processes around (even if you don't believe them at first and find them very forced) and tell yourself that you're handsome/pretty, that you're smart, that you're interesting to talk to, that you're just as normal as anyone else you see on the street, that you're worthy of friendship, love and happiness, and if you reenforce those thoughts daily, your attitude will begin to change to a more positive note, and the negative side of your mind won't be as bad, because you'll be able to deconstruct the things it says as mere words, scary pictures, scary thoughts, or trying to "bully" you when you're better than that.

But you need to keep in mind that your mind will be annoying when you try to make those changes, and it will tell you that it's pointless, that it's all lies and so on (because the mind likes sticking to certain patterns and rebels against change), but your mind really is what you make of it, so make the best of it, and then you'll be able to make the best of your life as well. Also, when negative thoughts do come (and they will, trust me, everyone has them), do your best to see them as the mind being its chatty self, and focus on your values and where they want to take/guide you. Observe them, but also practice expansion (opening up room so they can wander around freely, like passing cars, without judgment). Struggling against those thoughts is like struggling against heavy breathing when your anxiety's through the roof: it just makes it worse.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
I'm curios to know what Paruresis and Body dismorphic disorders are though

Body dismorphic disorder - it's an anxiety disorder where someone has a distorted perception of their own appearance. For example, someone who's really good lookin' might actually think they're really ugly.

Paruresis is where ye huv tae pee (urinate) but ye cannae because there are other people around. Sorry, if sounds like ah'm bein' be a bit flippant, but it's basically what it is. Nae offense intended.

IntheLabyrinth

Your mind adapts itself to your attitude. If you switch your thought processes around (even if you don't believe them at first and find them very forced) and tell yourself that you're handsome/pretty, that you're smart, that you're interesting to talk to, that you're just as normal as anyone else you see on the street, that you're worthy of friendship, love and happiness, and if you reenforce those thoughts daily, your attitude will begin to change to a more positive note, and the negative side of your mind won't be as bad, because you'll be able to deconstruct the things it says as mere words, scary pictures, scary thoughts, or trying to "bully" you when you're better than that.

But you need to keep in mind that your mind will be annoying when you try to make those changes, and it will tell you that it's pointless, that it's all lies and so on (because the mind likes sticking to certain patterns and rebels against change), but your mind really is what you make of it, so make the best of it, and then you'll be able to make the best of your life as well. Also, when negative thoughts do come (and they will, trust me, everyone has them), do your best to see them as the mind being its chatty self, and focus on your values and where they want to take/guide you. Observe them, but also practice expansion (opening up room so they can wander around freely, like passing cars, without judgment). Struggling against those thoughts is like struggling against heavy breathing when your anxiety's through the roof: it just makes it worse.

Thanks for the very helpful advice. I don't want to seem dismissive by not addressing all that you've thoughtfully posted because I do appreciate it. I agree with it all and have heard it a lot from therapists and read it in self help books. Do you think the exact way affirmations are phrased is important or as long as they're in the present tense and address what is causing the anxiety they will work?

IntheLabyrinth

Body dismorphic disorder - it's an anxiety disorder where someone has a distorted perception of their own appearance. For example, someone who's really good lookin' might actually think they're really ugly.

Paruresis is where ye huv tae pee (urinate) but ye cannae because there are other people around. Sorry, if sounds like ah'm bein' be a bit flippant, but it's basically what it is. Nae offense intended.

None taken! I should've just said that rather than use the technical (pretentious) terms.

Sacrament

Thanks for the very helpful advice. I don't want to seem dismissive by not addressing all that you've thoughtfully posted because I do appreciate it. I agree with it all and have heard it a lot from therapists and read it in self help books. Do you think the exact way affirmations are phrased is important or as long as they're in the present tense and address what is causing the anxiety they will work?

Well, since it is crucial for you to live in the present moment (face it, whatever happened in the past cannot be changed, much less if you are bitter about it, and the future is made of many nows), whatever affirmations you make should be in the present tense. For instance, let's say you're overweight, and want to shed those extra pounds:

1) "I'm fat and I might as well give in to that fact, and just stuff my face and accept it";
2) "I'm overweight, but I can visualize a new, different me that's healthy and has shed these extra pounds. It can't be that hard, all I have to do is be more active and eat less (and healthier). I acknowledge that I deserve to be happy and that no one can get me out of this mess but myself, and I owe this to all the dreams I want to see come true, and will [insert activities, mindsets, positive affirmations here] and always begin with the goal in mind, no matter what it takes".

The same method applies to other things. Let's say you're looking for work. The only way to get a job is to apply and go to interviews, right? Let's say you're terrified of job interviews, whether because your hands get clammy and sweaty, your face goes red easily, you mumble your words, etc. Still, one step is always better than no step at all. For starters, focus not on getting the job per se, but simply on the fact that you're actually going to these interviews, and use that as an opportunity to get more experience in the art of being interviewed. The more you expose yourself to these "dangers" the mind tries to alert you to, the more a newly found sense of pride will throw fear out of its mental throne. The more experience you get from interviews, the better you'll get, and the more likely it is for you to practice, practice, practice, and also be able to get better jobs through all the confidence you've gained. In the words of Robert Frost, "the best way out is always through".

This can be applied to most things. You can take a dozen pills a day, you can talk to a thousand people about your problems, but until you get your butt out of your chair and go out into the world, it'll just keep feeling like the world is heavier and heavier upon your shoulders, just waiting to eat you alive.

In a nutshell: exposure (plenty of it), assessing your values, establishing goals (smaller ones at first, don't take huge leaps at once or it can easily get overwhelming enough to discourage you), making peace with all of your ghosts and demons, accepting that, as a human being, you are imperfect, and therefore accept the mistakes that you make (having a bad first interview, etc), focusing on the positives ("I actually went to the interview and made it out alive, I can't believe it!" [pride] vs "what a mess, I couldn't get anything right!" [discouragement, destroying your own self-esteem/acceptance]), and making each day slightly better than the last.

Think about it, you have one life. In the grand scheme of things, there are so many people in this world doing so many different things that you're just a speck in the midst of it all, and you're the one who's making your own life worse by giving in to the constant babbling of the mind. The moment you realize all those fears and anxieties have no logical reason to be ("what if I ace that interview?" vs "what if I make a fool of myself?"), everything starts falling into place, not because the world has given you a break, but because you have realized your potential and how much - like everyone else - you deserve all the things that you desire.

Last edited:

Hoppy

You can try the book Positive thinking by Vera Peiffer.

There are lots of scripts you can use as is or change to suit yourself.

My personal one starts of with "I am a constructive person with a positive outlook on life. I love myself and my body."