OCD with games. (Pokémon and Bioshock).

I have been trying to kick away my OCD habits and it has been doing pretty well.

However, I still have this... "gamer's" OCD. If anyone played Pokémon or Bioshock before, it would be easier to explain.

I saw my brother played Bioshock on my Xbox360 that day and he set up a tornado trap. It's a trap, that will be there until someone steps on it. However, no one stepped on it and he just moved on. I have this urge of getting him to get an enemy to step on it. In fact, it has been in my mind for a few days. I wanted to secretly use his game file and get an enemy to step on it.

Then there is Pokémon. Now, I used to play Pokémon with an emulator. I played Pokémon Platinum halfway and I got a DS. So I converted it with an online converter, deleted the original file, and transferred it to my DS.

However, I opened the file and realised one of my Pokémon is in daycare. Again, I panicked. I feel like I should have removed him from Daycare before I convert and delete the original file. I even downloaded a data recovery software to see if i can recover the original file so I can remove him from Daycare before deleting the file again.

I just don't get WHY I'm afraid of these. I get this minor panic attacks and OCD urges over things that are CLEARLY irrational. It's not like germs or anything. I'm not sure why I am afraid.

I think I just need someone to tell me that all my fears are irrational and it doesn't bring any harm. Sigh. I really wonder why I am like this sometimes. It's frustrating.

I can kinda relate to this (played both BioShock and Pokémon, by the way). I've since moved on, though, but I used to be very nervous about leaving loose end and starting fresh. On a personal level it can drive you mad, but it's only harmful when you the obsession start to get in the way of real life tasks.

But I'm mildly confused what you mean with the Pokémon in daycare center. Couldn't you just get him/her out in the converted file? Wasn't that the reason of converting, keeping on playing as if you've been playing on that system all along?

WeirdyMcGee

it's only harmful when the obsession start to get in the way of real life tasks.

I hadn't really considered things in videogames to be OCD before now... but I suppose you're right.
I don't believe I've experienced this before but a good thing to keep in mind is what Puma said ^
It is only harmful when the obsession gets in the way of living your life.
Since it's in a videogame; as long as you're still showering and eating and going to school or work every day, it's not really getting in the way of life and it's okay to have these quirks while playing games.

I can kinda relate to this (played both BioShock and Pokémon, by the way). I've since moved on, though, but I used to be very nervous about leaving loose end and starting fresh. On a personal level it can drive you mad, but it's only harmful when you the obsession start to get in the way of real life tasks.

But I'm mildly confused what you mean with the Pokémon in daycare center. Couldn't you just get him/her out in the converted file? Wasn't that the reason of converting, keeping on playing as if you've been playing on that system all along?

That's the problem. I felt like I have to complete the game in the pre converted file that I have deleted too. I dunno. It does to a certain extent affect my real life, I think about it at random times and worry.

dragonoth

I'm not very familiar with OCD but when I was little I had an obsession with making everything symmetrical and perfect. The cutlery had to be perfectly vertical on the table, the ruler had to be perfectly parallel with the desk edge etc. Over time I just grew out of it. Other things just started to take priority, like studying, and I guess somewhere along the way I figured out it really didn't matter if things weren't perfect all the time.
Perhaps you can train yourself out of this habit slowly. Get used to doing things that make you on edge. Actually do the things that would bug the hell out of you and observe your irrational-ness. It's like facing your fears and seeing if the object of your fear actually threatens your life in any way.

I'm not very familiar with OCD but when I was little I had an obsession with making everything symmetrical and perfect. The cutlery had to be perfectly vertical on the table, the ruler had to be perfectly parallel with the desk edge etc. Over time I just grew out of it. Other things just started to take priority, like studying, and I guess somewhere along the way I figured out it really didn't matter if things weren't perfect all the time.
Perhaps you can train yourself out of this habit slowly. Get used to doing things that make you on edge. Actually do the things that would bug the hell out of you and observe your irrational-ness. It's like facing your fears and seeing if the object of your fear actually threatens your life in any way.

i dunno. I have these weird thoughts. I over think things. I feel like I have to do these things. It has been fluctuating throughout my life. Sometimes it's bad, sometimes it's okay.

Right now, I still have a little nagging thought in me to recover the file i deleted. =/.