Night Terrors

Section_31

Hey everyone,

Does anyone else have NT's?. Not to be confused with a simple nightmore or bad dream. Ive had them my whole life. Actually last night, I had a pretty crazy incident....My wife woke up because i was yelling at someone to stay away, and was trying to protect her from somthing only i could see. I never remember anything after it happens and the next day im completely unaware anything DID happen, though ive caught myself on cam quite a few times running around the house.

Apparently when my wife comes to bed after im already sleeping, she has to make little cat noises to keep me calm while she does (we have 3 cats) otherwise, her getting into bed with me will set it off.

Its a really annoying thing akin to being a werewolf. I cant control it, and dont remember it. Some nights it happens and other times not. One time i frightened her badly by suddenly screaming bloody murder, and then went back to sleep. I had absolutely 0 recollection.

I did it once at the inlaws place...and good god i wish that hadnt happened. Its somthing im obviously embarrassed by and apologetic when it happened. Right away her dad brought out the bible and started going on about me being under spiritual attack, ect ect. While i never rule anything out, even if i dont think its the case, ive gone to a few doctors and sleep clinics. MY delta waves are waaaay off the scale when im sleeping, so it def. has somthing to do with that...whatever it is...

Anyways, i just wanted to put this out there. Anyone else have them?>

k_sami

Hi

I personally have never had them... But from what I know, it's about creating a proper sleeping schedule.

Sure you have had it most of your life as you mention, so it will probably need a bit more work than that.

What are your habits before you sleep? If for example you are worried or stressed before sleep, this can trigger it...

I personally think you could try a relaxation technique such as mild meditation before bedtime, even if only for a couple of minutes, and develop some sort of sleep schedule.

Good luck

Section_31

Hey Sami,

With me, im in bed at 10:30 almost every single night with a consistent wakeup schedule, even on weekends. I also make sure to avoid having a heavy meal 3 to 4 hours before i go to bed, and usually having some calming tea before sleeping. When i go to bed i find im never stressed usually, the big exception being the week before my wedding, but really i cant think of any stress factors at night.

Its so odd though, sometimes i can go for almost a month or two without having any NT's, then i might have one one night, then nothing for a week, then 3 weeks of them, then again nothing for a while. It seems to be completely random.

Im waiting to get into a sleep clinic for further study but the wait time is 2 freaking years :S

k_sami

Hey Sami,

With me, im in bed at 10:30 almost every single night with a consistent wakeup schedule, even on weekends. I also make sure to avoid having a heavy meal 3 to 4 hours before i go to bed, and usually having some calming tea before sleeping. When i go to bed i find im never stressed usually, the big exception being the week before my wedding, but really i cant think of any stress factors at night.

Its so odd though, sometimes i can go for almost a month or two without having any NT's, then i might have one one night, then nothing for a week, then 3 weeks of them, then again nothing for a while. It seems to be completely random.

Im waiting to get into a sleep clinic for further study but the wait time is 2 freaking years :S

Hey,

sorry to hear that. obviously seem to have a decent schedule...

Well here's a good article on the issue - Dealing with Adult Night Terrors: What Causes Sleep Terrors in Grown-Ups and How to Treat It

I'm sure you have read quiet a few things online and heard all sorts... but maybe it can help. :)

Give meditation a go though...since I've started using it myself, it's one of the best things I've done.

Regards

Section_31

I will def. give meditation a go. Im always open to anything that may assist. its like being a werewolf, cause i almost never remember anything from when it happens. Sometimes ill have little shreds of somthing, like an intense feeling of fear but i can never remember why.

The other night i was convinced there was somthing in the house and i was trying to protect her from it (monday night). Dont remember any of it though. Suprisingly ive never run into anything or hurt myself.

Her and me have done alot of research on this, and she knows not to try to restrain me when im having an incident. Our doctor actually said not to, because he had a patient who was having a NT, his wife tried to hold him, and he incorporated her into whatever it was that was frightening him and he attacked her. Luckily ive NEVER done that, i dont think i could forgive myself if i ever did. Ive neverr gotten physical though which is a good thing.

MollyBeGood

I will def. give meditation a go. Im always open to anything that may assist. its like being a werewolf, cause i almost never remember anything from when it happens. Sometimes ill have little shreds of somthing, like an intense feeling of fear but i can never remember why.

The other night i was convinced there was somthing in the house and i was trying to protect her from it (monday night). Dont remember any of it though. Suprisingly ive never run into anything or hurt myself.

Her and me have done alot of research on this, and she knows not to try to restrain me when im having an incident. Our doctor actually said not to, because he had a patient who was having a NT, his wife tried to hold him, and he incorporated her into whatever it was that was frightening him and he attacked her. Luckily ive NEVER done that, i dont think i could forgive myself if i ever did. Ive neverr gotten physical though which is a good thing.

Hi LGM-Have you ever tried hypnotherapy? I often wonder if it would help me with some of my bad dreams which don't happen often like...but they are traumatic and make me upset and scared throughout the day...I think maybe they are things that have happened to me that I never processed because of they were bad and it's my mind asleep still working through the pain of it. Hypnotherapy can help release these past memories if done right I have heard it can really help.

Section_31

Hey MG!,

I have to say i honestly havnt considered hypnotherapy...not out of lack of belief or anything like that, i just honestly never thought about it for NT's...That and i dont really know where i would go to do somthing like that here.

You put the bug in my ear, im going to look that one up!.

awkwardamanda

I got night terrors when I was a kid but I eventually outgrew them. Most of the time I wouldn't remember them but occasionally I did. I just remember sitting up in bed in the middle of the night crying and yelling and screaming.

Section_31

Apparently alot of the time i will sit up, and scream like im being murdered in a particularly horrible way, or ill shout at somthing to "stay away!" or "who/what the f are you?" ect ect.

Whats interesting though is when our kitties jump up on me thats never scared me

EscapeArtist

Hmmm you might want to try removing some things from your diet. It could be the effect of a food intolerance. Common ones: eggs, gluten, lactose, corn, soy... Emphasis on gluten and lactose. Those two are the most common. I've heard a lot of stories of people getting rid of their night terrors when they excluded a certain food from their diet that their body just couldn't handle. I had night terrors as a kid/early teen until I discovered I was gluten intolerant. Many stories of me doing things like walking around the house screaming at the top of my lungs that giant bugs were covering the walls, my parents had to smack the invisible giant bugs to shut me up. I too don't remember any of these
goodluck

awkwardamanda

Many stories of me doing things like walking around the house screaming at the top of my lungs that giant bugs were covering the walls, my parents had to smack the invisible giant bugs to shut me up.

I hope I'm not being insensitive here, but that made me lol!::p:

Section_31

LOL nah. It makes ME lol alot. i find it more annoying than scary. Its usually more scary for the person witnessing it because they dont know wtf is freaking me out, lol.

3lefts

My mom told me I had awful night terrors ever since I was little. I suppose that's where it started. Now it's not so severe. I don't scare anyone just weird them out.
This is one of the main reasons I've battled with insomnia. Sleep brings about too many strange occurrences.
Although I haven't been known to run about the house like yourself, or scream bloody murder. Hope the in-laws still don't think you need to be extracised or whatever:D

Section_31

oh god...yes yes they do -.-

I was quick to point out that i dont meet any of the criteria for being possessed, (IE. speaking dead languages, superhuman strength, aversions to all things holy).

Her dad got grumpy with me, LOL.

mismeek

I have them occasionally in week long bouts.. Ive noticed that if i work out before I go to bed, they are less likely to come. might want to try that out

Section_31

I will try that too Meek :). Thank you!

Time to put the WII to use!.

I had a rather funny incident last night......My hunny actually had to get out of bed and come get me...i walked outside in my underwear and was trying to get into my truck but i didnt have the key and i thought someone was on the inside holding the door shut......

Now, normally id find this funny and nothing but, but its -18 here and we have 4 feet of snow on the ground...so i got cold fast, she called me and i woke up, REALLY confused as to how i got there, why i was so cold, why i was standing, and why someone was shouting at me. There was so much that was wrongi just couldnt process it all at once, LOL.

yea.....definately going to try every suggestion i can get!

MollyBeGood

I will try that too Meek :). Thank you!

Time to put the WII to use!.

I had a rather funny incident last night......My hunny actually had to get out of bed and come get me...i walked outside in my underwear and was trying to get into my truck but i didnt have the key and i thought someone was on the inside holding the door shut......

Now, normally id find this funny and nothing but, but its -18 here and we have 4 feet of snow on the ground...so i got cold fast, she called me and i woke up, REALLY confused as to how i got there, why i was so cold, why i was standing, and why someone was shouting at me. There was so much that was wrongi just couldnt process it all at once, LOL.

yea.....definately going to try every suggestion i can get!

Woah!! Frost bite anyone? Be careful there!!...Sounds like she needs to handcuff ya to the bed-lots of possibilities there and no worries about you escaping, right? LoL

LazyHermitCrab

that seems scary :S i think i had one once.. after i watched a scary movie and it was like i was living in the movie and the characters were on my ceiling and then i fully woke up all the sudden but didn't scream