Napping

ripewithdecay

I go to bed just like every one else at night, usually sleep 6-8 hours. In the morning I feel fine. But I seem to have this problem with needing to have a nap every time i get home from work! Now i don't have a problem with having a nap once in a while, but i'm 22 years old man, i don't really want to nap every afternoon like my grandmother does!
I try to counter this overwhelming sleepiness with exercise, but it doesn't seem to help for long. It's become a real problem, because even though I virtually have no life at all, i've got important shit to do when i get home - and sometimes that means going grocery shopping or doing any daily routine after work. But it's this f-ing sleepiness that anchors me. It's like i have to have a nap before I can do anything else, and usually when i get up from that nap i feel more awake but i feel like crap - my head will be spinning, my mouth will be dry and i'll have a slight headache.

This is really annoying! Does anyone else struggle with their energy levels after a day's work? I understand going home to 'wind-down' a bit but needing a nap is a little absurd to me! How can i help to counteract this?

Richey

I do exactly the same thing quite often, why is this?

because going to work drains alot of energy out of me ...i get home and i just want to escape for a while so i take a nap, 2-3 times a week for around 1-2 hours, wake up at 8pm then make dinner, practice basketball and read or play guitar ...

But yeh i remember one weekend i selpt nearly the whole 2 days and this wasn't intentionally i actually planned to be quite active but i think a little agraphobia took over and i just didnt feel like stepping into the public arena at all, i'm renting now so i can do as i please ... its easy just to fall into a rut ...

i dont think naps are a bad thing, if your tired then thats good enough reason ...

i think the main reason i used to nap alot was because i had nowhere to go and not many friends i just felt like wallowing so is layed in bed for a while ...

dont worry. its very common ...

jamez

I think it's possibly the anxiety, which can drain a lot of someones' energy. Someone clear headed and worry free would therefore should have a lot more spare energy.

HH

I'm exactley the same. I get up for work around 7.30 and when i come home around 5.20, have some food and watch some TV i need to sleep for about half an hour else i really can't concentrate. I've been doing this for years, even when i was at college. Maybe i'm lazy or something.

las

I always get enough sleep and get some exercise every week. But like someone else said. Even if work is good I just get drained from actually being around people. i find that I have to put myself out there in my type of work and when I get home sometimes, I just need the hour or hour and a half to level out again from being at work or getting my after -work chores done like grocery shopping or the mail. It takes a lot out of me somedays.

I just deal with it and if the next day i don't nap I'm like well I found today okay, if i don't tomorrow then I'll nap, or exercise then I usually feel less drained

It's actually pretty impossible for me to get a nap, and I never have a problem with energy level. If anything I have far too much energy with not enough to drain it with. It's like I almost never feel tired, and if I am it's physically, not mentally. It's really hard to get to sleep though.

scorpion

I feel like i need a nap all the time.
Maybe its just a way to try and escape the way i feel about myself.
For ages i beleive i was just lazy, now i know i have a problem thats not easy, and i have no idea where to start.
Sleeping just takes me from reality and allows me to expirience a few seconds of happiness in the form of dreams.

dottie

me too, me too! if i go in public in the morning/early afternoon when i get home i feel drained like i need a nap. where is it? italy? that they shut down the streets, restaurants, work, and eat a huge lunch and take naps in the middle of the day. i think waking up at 6am to go to work from 9-5 M-F is totally unnatural for the human body. it can't be good. we are biological animals, not machines.

livingnsilence

I don't work but I do need a nap everyday after school, and school is less strenuous than work. I've been taking naps since 10th grade. For me I think it is possible cyrcadian rhythem disorder b/c no matter how much sleep I get I feel like I need to take a two hour nap b/w 1 and 6 in the afternoon, and no matter how tired I am come 11 or 12 at night I'm wide awake and don't feel like going to bed untill about 3 though I usually force meself to go to bed earlier.

HH

There was a topic of conversation on the radio the other day about power napping and it seems that loads of people have a half hour nap sometime in the day. I thought it was just me! They said its really good for you and good for the brain.

IceLad

HH said:
There was a topic of conversation on the radio the other day about power napping and it seems that loads of people have a half hour nap sometime in the day. I thought it was just me! They said its really good for you and good for the brain.
This is exactly what I have heard.

Sometimes, the power of sleep can be really incredible. I can take an afternoon nap and feel really refreshed afterwards, yet when I look at the clock, I find that I've only been asleep for 15mins!

Broken_Memory

I find that I often need more "down time" than others. I work part-time (walking dogs) and whenever I get back home if I don't have plans, I feel like I just need to sit around and relax. Its not that dog walking is exhausting, its that the social interactions with people in between walking the dogs is tiring. Same thing with after school, I can't like, come home and get right into homework, I need to sit around wasting time for hours at a time. For a week at a time randomly, I can get more things done. Today is one of those "lazy" days.

lonely_world

I've done this since i've been 14 as a way to deal with stress. Your body is just telling you that it wants to rest to recover, that's all. No need to feel old, because if that were the case. i'd be 90 for the past 17 years!