Making lists ALL the time

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I hate making threads and it's going to be a silly one, but I really want to know if there is other people doing this:

So as the title say, is there anyone else here who has to make lists ALL the time, about everything, to be able to function?

I mean not only at work, where I do countless of lists: what to do today, what to finish before the end of the week, lists of pretty much everything I have to do until the end of time, lists of what I have to bring on the field, etc.

And not only when I have a lot on my mind like paying bills, calling back X or Y, etc. Litterally, even when I wake up on saturday morning and have absolutely nothing planned, which makes me truly enthusiastic, if I don't make a list of the things I could do to fill my day I might end up sitting on the couch, bored. However, if I make a list with all the things I can do, my day will be very productive.

This is not a problem in my life since finding a pen and a piece of paper is no big deal and nobody cares that I spend so much time making lists, I was just wondering if anyone else do this so obsessively.

Silatuyok

I do make a lot of lists, but I'm not sure if I would say it's obsessive. It's just something I automatically do and don't even really think about. When I get uptight or overwhelmed or stressed, making lists has a nice calming effect on me. I also enjoy making and maintaining spreadsheets.

Xervello

I hate making threads and it's going to be a silly one, but I really want to know if there is other people doing this:

So as the title say, is there anyone else here who has to make lists ALL the time, about everything, to be able to function?

I mean not only at work, where I do countless of lists: what to do today, what to finish before the end of the week, lists of pretty much everything I have to do until the end of time, lists of what I have to bring on the field, etc.

And not only when I have a lot on my mind like paying bills, calling back X or Y, etc. Litterally, even when I wake up on saturday morning and have absolutely nothing planned, which makes me truly enthusiastic, if I don't make a list of the things I could do to fill my day I might end up sitting on the couch, bored. However, if I make a list with all the things I can do, my day will be very productive.

This is not a problem in my life since finding a pen and a piece of paper is no big deal and nobody cares that I spend so much time making lists, I was just wondering if anyone else do this so obsessively.

*Raises hand* Me too. Sounds like you may have obsessive compulsive disorder. Though lots of people make lists for things, to do so to such a degree might be a processing technique. For some, the brain has difficulty functioning in chaos, and lists are its way of taking control and establishing order so that it can navigate through it. For me personally, I use lists more for pleasure/creative purposes than day-to-day things. They help whittle things down to a more finite perspective; concentrating on a few things rather than EVERYthing.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Thank you for the answers :)

@Sweet_Marie You are right about the calming effect of making lists. It's easier to take things one at a time. As for the spreadsheets, I tried that once or twice for different things but I don't have enough discipline to stay up to date :p

*Raises hand* Me too. Sounds like you may have obsessive compulsive disorder. Though lots of people make lists for things, to do so to such a degree might be a processing technique. For some, the brain has difficulty functioning in chaos, and lists are its way of taking control and establishing order so that it can navigate through it. For me personally, I use lists more for pleasure/creative purposes than day-to-day things. They help whittle things down to a more finite perspective; concentrating on a few things rather than EVERYthing.

Gah!! I wasn't looking for a new mental disorder, so I will pretend I didn't read the part about OCD. :D I don't think I have OCD though. The parts in bold probably applies to me though. I think I get easily overwhelmed by the abundance of options and tend to throw myself in all directions, I guess lists create some structure in that mess that is my brain.

bcsr

I make lists all the time as well. I got into that habit because I have ADD, and I constantly forget things. ;)

jaim38

Maybe try meditation to improve your focus? I know I need lists to function because I can't remember everything. It's totally normal. I'm sure a lot of people make lists too to stay organized.

Scandic123

I tend to make a lot of lists as well, and I make lists of all sorts of things. But I don't do it all the time, I'd say.

I'm very comfortable around people who aim to be that organized. I myself don't have it with lists particularly, I do it with pretty much all (short and long term) management systems. Be it lists, towels, games/dvds, food, notes, shoes, tasks, computer files, dirty dishes, ect.. almost everything.

Everything needs to have a perfect system, and more often than not the most trivial of items will witness a few dozen management system iterations during my ownership. It's sometimes rewarding, sometimes frustrating and sometimes it drives me completely nuts.