Is this OCD?

LillyRowe

Hi I was reasearching OCD on the web and I found this forum. I have been having problems for as long as I can remember but I've always been afraid to talk to anyone about the because I don't want them to think I'm crazy. One thing I remember from my childhood was that I was always afraid to go to my stop to catch the school bus because I felt like something bad was going to happen to me as soon as I was out of sight. I would immediately feel better as soon as I got on the school bus. I have also always had a severe fear of the dark, deep water, claustraphobia, and heights. I also feel like something really bad is going to happen when we go over a bridge. I'm afraid of everything and I can't even drive because I get so nervous I start shaking and my hands get sweaty.

Some other things I have problems with is when I go to bed I can't wear pants because they have to stay at my ankles. They always ride up and make me really upset because they have to stay where they're supposed to. The same thing goes for the covers. If I have one foot out I have to have the other foot out also.

I also have to check everything several times before I go to sleep at night. I check the stove, the lights, the tv, and check on my baby. Sometimes I freak out and think that maybe something happened to my baby because she slept too long, or the blanket covered her face and caused her to suffocate. I also have to have the blinds closed as soon as it gets dark so nothing bad can get in or see in through the window.

I'm sorry this is so long but there are so many other things that bother me. I like to have things parallel. One time I was arranging the magnets on the fridge and I wasn't even paying attention to what I was doing. I just arranged them until it felt right. I went and sat down and after a few minutes I noticed that I had put them all in a circle with the same magnets across from each other perfectly. I have done this more than once. Certain numbers also annoy me. I prefer even numbers. Odd numbers get on my nerves.

After reading all of this do you think I have OCD? I have never seen a psychiatrist because I've been afraid to admit that something is wrong and I don't want people to think I'm crazy. I have told my husband more about what is going on and we've been thinking about making me an appointment. so I can get some help. Thanks for any advice.

dyingtolive

yeah seems like OCD.. ive had friends with OCD,
but had only slight symptoms myself when i was younger but nothing bothersome.

I cant give any more advice on how to cure it unfortunately but goodluck

Zak

I'm not a doctor so I won't claim to diagnose a condition. But from my own personal experiences ( I have severe obsessive compulsive disorder) you definitely have it. Also, if you can, try as hard as possible to not let the things you know are ridiculous (i.e. checking) to take priority over other aspects of your life. I let OCD run rampant and digging myself out of the proverbial ditch has been quite the process. That being said, it doesn't sound like your symptoms are too severe so stay positive!! And you sound like a wonderful parent, so I wouldn't be worried about that at all!!

Darkness_'82

I have OCD as well as social anxiety, and it's horrible to live with. I have all these little rituals when I go to bed or when I'm watching a DVD and it's a bloody nuisance!! Can't even watch a movie without messing around with the remote to constantly make sure the batteries are in it properly or stupid **** like that. It's an embarrassing, nuisance of an illness.

LillyRowe

Thank you for your replies. I have come to the conclusion that I do have OCD, but it is only moderate. I have been dealing with it on my own and not letting it take over my life. I am happy to say that things have gotten alot better. I am so proud of myself for being strong enough to deal with this. I hope that things stay positive in the long run :)