Is reality too... real?

I'm not sure if I can explain this very well, but it seems to me that sometimes when I get to experience things that "normal" people do, it seems unreal, alien, or repulsive even. Like what I imagine it would be like ends up being much better, or just very different from actually experiencing it. I know that life can't be what it is in fairytales, but for it to be so strange that it doesn't seem good at all just seems odd. There have been some exceptions, which tells me that maybe I'm not just having unrealistic expectations... but those times are few and far between. Anyone else feel the same... like real life is just disillusioning and it makes you not want to leave the world inside your head?

Since coming here the real world seems very different, almost like seeing a 3D movie for the first time.

Kiwong

I find life in the world of people too intense. It's like a minefield of trying to get along with everyone. Normal people seem to be able to cope with this interaction. but it is too much for me.

Well sure, being able to be in my head all the time would be great. I think some of the "real" aspects of life are what makes me not want to lock myself in a room and keep to myself forever though. The world has some less-then-stellar parts to it, but it also has some things you can't get in your head, great things. Or at least I think so, but at the same time I see exactly where you're coming from, it would definitely be easier.

Thanks for the reply... but I guess I wasn't explaining very well what I'm trying to get at. I know there are less pleasant aspects to life, and accept that.. but I guess I was mostly thinking about things that most people derive pleasure from and seem to have no problems with- like being physically intimate with other people. I rarely have the chance, but when I do, even though I want it, sometimes in the moment I feel disconnected or even repulsed, and I'm not even sure why. Like I said, there have been exceptions, but only with someone that I knew very well and was completely comfortable with. Even with someone I'm extremely physically attracted to and know quite a bit about, it doesn't feel real or great. I guess it just seems like I'm an anomaly.

EscapeArtist

I'm not sure if I can explain this very well, but it seems to me that sometimes when I get to experience things that "normal" people do, it seems unreal, alien, or repulsive even. Like what I imagine it would be like ends up being much better, or just very different from actually experiencing it. I know that life can't be what it is in fairytales, but for it to be so strange that it doesn't seem good at all just seems odd. There have been some exceptions, which tells me that maybe I'm not just having unrealistic expectations... but those times are few and far between. Anyone else feel the same... like real life is just disillusioning and it makes you not want to leave the world inside your head?

Yes I get what you are getting at. The feeling of it being unfamiliar just takes over. Alien, inhuman feeling... A new feeling is often not welcome, simply because it is unfamiliar, makes it feel cold.... somehow? Things are made out to be so good, also, but everything just seems neutral because EVERYTHING is neutral (there is always a balance) so it is so far off from what I expect.

punklove

Yes I tend to hide from the reality world and live in my own world where anything is possible. Face it.. Reality is boring. :p

Solar

Yeah I sort of know how it feels. Whenever I'm doing the stuff like everyone else does and almost look and feel normal. I suddenly "wake up", and begin to see the actions and reactions from another point of view. From perspectives that makes me wonder why we do things the way are doing it. And then I feel stupid that I am realizing these things, and curse myself for not being able to remain in the normal flow.

hippiechild

Haha.. interesting thread, Lurk! I can sorta relate, if I'm understanding you properly.

Could you give an example?

...anyway, us SPers certainly spend a whole lot more time imagining and constructing our own inner worlds than most people, which might contribute to this disconnect between reality and our expectations.

edit* ... most people are stupid and easily entertained though :D ... so that's also a possibility. People with SP tend not to be as responsive as other people ("why aren't you laughing at my highly contrived jokes!?...1..2..3.. now's your cue to laugh, GO!")

Last edited: