Irrational or rational? Real or Imaginary?

SilentStranger

Hmm I am tying to understand! What is real and what is just in my mind.

I have always been extremely worried about certain events (parties, uni/school presentations, work meetings). I have been told (by doctors/family) its anticipatory anxiety and irrational fear. All I have to do is to attend and I will be OK. I never quite believed that 100%.

The other day something happened again that reinforced my belief. I had a meeting and sure enough I was worried about it. I thought I was going to survive it, but I was put on the spot. Not only they were asking questions, they pointed out to the fact that I did not say anything. The worse thing was the answer I gave was at best only just coherent and didn't really make a contribution to the discussion. This is what I was worried about in the first place!

What I am trying to understand is what other fears and conclusions that I have been told are irrational, are in fact real. Is my belief that I am not cut out to do this work I am doing... is that real? Is my belief that I never be fully able to move in social circles that my peers move in... because of my lack of social skills... are these thoughts real?

If I am to improve my self.. to treat my SP, I must understand what I have to improve, but I am finding its difficult to separate what is real and what is irrational. What are the boundaries of my ability? Is that real or imaginary?

Has anyone else thought about this? Has anybody else have trouble separating which are the rational thoughts and which ones are irrational?

-SS

Kien

The first thing I thought of when reading the title was math and numbers. (O,o)

Generical

Well im sure you're cut out for the job as now when your relaxed you could probably think of a decent answer - but just make sure you don't keep going over that memory and thinking i wish i had said that, as that'll only screw yourself over for another time. With me when i'm on the spot my brain pisses off and i'm left with responses like what other people have said or something like 'dunno', so if possible i always try and write a load of notes that could come up. So instead of having to think on the spot, you've got it written down in front of you, yeh whatever the notes are about might not come up but it definitely relaxes me as it's something to fall back on and it stimulates your mind brainstorming before.

Our fears are only irrational because we obsess over them so much, most people fear the stuff we fear it's just they aren't repeating the situations in their mind so much that they fear the next time a similar one happens. I think it's all down to confidence and the fact that we stay in our own heads all the time only keeps us in a warped perceptive.

Anyways i'm pretty sure most of my problem is anticipation anxiety and a lot of the times i just went for it everything turned out fine, you just have to remember that everyone makes mistakes and you can't be perfect etc. so i just try to take my time and relax (it doesn't always work but it gives a confidence boost.....for bit lol)