Ionto for generalised HH?

wibbze2

Just bought an ionto machine after my GP recommended it to me for hands and feet.

She said it could also help with my generalised HH as it can "calm the whole system down". I was surprised at this as I thought it would only affect the areas that are placed in the water. Has anyone experienced ionto having an effect on generalised HH?

pedro123

Sounds like a sales pitch :p

I can't say for sure since I've never used Ionto...which kinda makes this whole post almost useless.

do you take any medication for your general HH? General HH is very difficult to deal with without meds. I take anticholinergic meds and fast most of the day so they are more effective. Also, Solo Dolo and cm123 have begun using Diltiazem (read here) which is, from what I gather, less effective than anticholinergics like Avert, Robinul, ProBanthine... but has less side effects (ie. drowsiness, dry mouth, dry eyes, constipation, loss of memory, dry skin, loss of apetite)

It might also be a good idea to change your life style. So move to environments which are cooler like Vancouver, London, Stockholme. Make sure you have a job that gives you more freedom. Therefore, being a, for example, taxi driver is good, b/c you can control your environment, namely, A/C. However, being a, for example, chef is bad since it is so hot in the kitchen. Also, it might be a good idea to tell your friends and family you have this problem rather than staying home every night and hating the world.

Hope that helps =)

wibbze2

Well it's definitely not a sales pitch as it came from an NHS doctor. Not taking any meds for the general HH and would rather avoid them if I could.

You're right about living in a cooler place. I live in London which can still get pretty hot in the summer, guess I'll just have to live with it!

Solo Dolo

just FYI pedro, i havent started the diltiazem yet, there was some problem with insurance or something. but it has been taken care of and i should get it tomorrow.

Solo Dolo

also wibbze please keep us up to date on your results as far as generalized HH with ionto. (i have extreme generalized HH so im dying to hear good things i can try).

thanks.

pedro123

Well it's definitely not a sales pitch as it came from an NHS doctor. Not taking any meds for the general HH and would rather avoid them if I could.

You're right about living in a cooler place. I live in London which can still get pretty hot in the summer, guess I'll just have to live with it!

I've heard things like that too, for example, some people who have botox injections in their underarms find they also sweat less in their hands. Give it a try, if it works for you, than great =)

Also, London is a terrible place to live with HH. You can't get anywhere without the underground, and the subway is %#!@ degrees on the central line. America/Canada is better b/c everywhere is air conditioned and you can drive most of the time.

EDIT: London is still better than most places like Spain, Italy, Greee, Turkey... But it's not so great compared to Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle, Buffalo, Michigan...

Last edited:

100years

Hi everybody!

I'm 26/m from Chile. I have generalized HH, and it is particularly acute on the forehead. It started when I was 18. The other day I went to see a doctor and he said he needed some exams, specifically a metaphrine exam (adrenalin, nerophrine and dopamine). The results revealed that my body produce exceptionally high levels of nerophrine, around 1250 (referential scale from 100 to 600; so it is more than twice the highest level).

Does anyone know anything about it? According to my doctor, it may be possible that there's a tumor (according to him, a small one) in my chest (torax), and that it may be the cause of my HH. He told me that I could undergo a surgery (not for HH, but for the tumor). Yet I have to get some new exams before even considering a surgery.

Pedro123:

You claim that London is not a very nice city to live in if you have HH. I am applying for a scholarship to go to study a PhD in translation to Edinburgh University. How is Edinburgh? I mean the city. Have you ever been there? I looked at the averages temperatures, and it says that in summer the highest temperature is around 26° C...Here in Santiago, Chile, we are still in winter, but the other day the temperature was 27,8° C. Luckily, it was my day off, so I didn't have to go to work and stayed at home sleeping, reading and translating.

Cheers!

pedro123

Hi everybody!

I'm 26/m from Chile. I have generalized HH, and it is particularly acute on the forehead. It started when I was 18. The other day I went to see a doctor and he said he needed some exams, specifically a metaphrine exam (adrenalin, nerophrine and dopamine). The results revealed that my body produce exceptionally high levels of nerophrine, around 1250 (referential scale from 100 to 600; so it is more than twice the highest level).

Does anyone know anything about it? According to my doctor, it may be possible that there's a tumor (according to him, a small one) in my chest (torax), and that it may be the cause of my HH. He told me that I could undergo a surgery (not for HH, but for the tumor). Yet I have to get some new exams before even considering a surgery.
Get a second opinion, that sounds serious

Pedro123:

You claim that London is not a very nice city to live in if you have HH. I am applying for a scholarship to go to study a PhD in translation to Edinburgh University. How is Edinburgh? I mean the city. Have you ever been there? I looked at the averages temperatures, and it says that in summer the highest temperature is around 26° C...Here in Santiago, Chile, we are still in winter, but the other day the temperature was 27,8° C. Luckily, it was my day off, so I didn't have to go to work and stayed at home sleeping, reading and translating.
Cheers!

Wow, I don't think I could live in Chile, it's far too hot for me. Edinburgh is no where near as hot as Santiago. And it rains a lot so that helps. It's a small city so you can get around without having to use a bus. This is a good thing as buses here don't have air conditioning. So it's not as bad as London. Summer time it doesn't get very hot in England, but understand that they are not prepared for the heat. So it might be 26° C outside, but it's 35° C inside the bus, or the mall, or the restaurant. Imagine 35° C on the subway with no fresh air! A lot of people pass out on the London subway system.

pedro123

Also the temperature here changes a lot. So it's freezing cold, and you go out in jacket and jeans, then the sun comes out.

100years

pedro123:

Thanks for the information about the weather in England.

I'll definitely get a second opinion (and if possible a third). I'll keep you informed.

Best of lucks,
100years

Jezza

pedro123:

Thanks for the information about the weather in England.

I'll definitely get a second opinion (and if possible a third). I'll keep you informed.

Best of lucks,
100years

You may have something called a pheochromocytoma. It's a neuroendocrine tumor that is usually located on the adrenal gland (one of the two, or both) and can intermittently secrete adrenalin like substances (that's why they test the breakdown products, catecholamines to test for it). I've been checked for this and was actually hoping I had one so they could cut it away and I'd be done with HH. It's a serious condition that can also lead to extreme peaks in blood pressure, rage and (obviously) cardiac problems in case of a spike (you don't have to experience this a lot though).

You have two adrenal glands and if they have to cut away only one you can often have a normal life although in many cases you might also require hormone treatment (just medication) to cancel out the loss of hormones caused by cutting away one of the glands. There are also some new methods that try to spare the gland but they aren't perfect (in saving the gland...the glands are quite small as it is).

On balance, if you really have this you should be a lot better of after the surgery (and if this diagnosis is confirmed I don't think there is any other route to go but that is up to your doctors to inform you about of course).

Good luck...I'd always look at it as a positive thing since you are in a certain situation anyway and now you know there might be something you can do to improve that situation.

Last edited:

JamesKing

To add to the question on Ionto for generalised HH I would say it sounds false to me, I may be wrong! Ionto itself goes to work on just the area in which you submerge to the water. I can only see that being the case if a drug such as Robinul is added to the water.

I use Ionto for my hands and feet and have been for years, but I don't suffer from sweating in any other area apart from my underarms, and I haven't seen any improvements there from using it. Would be interesting to hear from someone who has used Ionto and does have generalised hyperhidrosis though...