If anyone needs advice on conversation.. please let me know

jaidacoy

AS much as a i believe i have social phobia.. i also think.. i can ba good conversationalist.. if anyone has any questions they want answered on how to cope.. and think thru a potentially 'scary' situation... let me know..

its interesting that if u set up a certain mindset before you go into 'the situation' it can really help you to calm down...and get through it

jaidacoy

also.. if u need to know how or what to say when faced in a certain situation.. i may have some advice for u

thaili

seek advice

while speaking to anyone where do i keep my eyes .i m unable 2 maintain a steady eye contact. even while walking on street or standing with a group i just dont know where i keep my vision.i cant stand erect with my head high in social places . i just pretend 2 b doin tht.please help

va_boy

Re: seek advice

thaili said:
while speaking to anyone where do i keep my eyes .i m unable 2 maintain a steady eye contact. even while walking on street or standing with a group i just dont know where i keep my vision.i cant stand erect with my head high in social places . i just pretend 2 b doin tht.please help

I know it's hard, but if you don't think about it you will do fine.

KingHenry

Re: seek advice

I think I might have a quick solution. Usually if Im talking to somebody up close like that, I've been able to keep eye contact by trying to stare at something off to the side of them or straight behind them this way it looks like Im keeping eye contact even though Im not. The staring at something behind them trick took me some practice because you're basically staring at something far away, but that person is right infront of you standing in the way so you're actually staring "through" them :D. I know this sounds confusing because I don't have alot of time to organize my thoughts right now, but that helped me out alot & it really makes those situations alot less awkward. I hope that helps.

HappySquidward

I'm kinda surprised that this thread died. It seems like it could have been very help and is broad enough to welcome anyone with SA.

Anyway, what direction should I look when talking to a group or just more than one person?

oh yeah, Hi KingHenry!, and welcome to SPW

Last edited:

mikebird

Banned
I have major conversational weaknesses involving thinking and speaking about only myself, and nothing, nobody else. You might notice this from my posts.

I'm told this by a lot of people

However aware I am, I think it's a in-built mechanism I just can't get rid of. My current psychologist describes me as 'going off topic' negative rather than positive, and everyone always says I go off on a tangent. It's about me and my history and experiences. I think: maybe selfish? Very bad in interview. I never answer the basic questions I'm asked. Example: 'how are you?' That is horrific! I get more detail in a dog's bark or a cat who rubs its face against my hands. The standard initial interview question is always 'how was your journey?' My head spins off on 'yeah! no worries - I've been around here by car or train and have been a bit lost before but I've learnt it all now. I love it'. I get a look from the questioner which immediately shows a quizzical response meaning 'he's a weirdo!!!' and they'd wish they hadn't invited me. Nobody wants to listen to me. But if someone answered the journey question as 'OK', I'd judge them as faarr tooo simple to ever consider worthy of conversation.

I sometimes try to pucker-up and say little, to please people. I think it's fair to expand on any topic and offer my input. Hmmm. Board meetings. If I take all this advice and treat every question by smile and nod as a YES, or smile and shake head as NO. Or a flourish of my hand gestures, accompanied with 'ahh, OK' What that means to me is a person who is not interested, bored, doesn't care. Every conversation leads me to say 'too much' and not to 'stick to the point'

I have been reading articles and whitepapers on improving communication skills (published by The Times) which are too thin. Material I knew at the age of 5. I like people with a lot more depth - articulate. I abhor having to deal with simpletons who control my life

If I was ever in a retail job, which I don't predict, I wouldn't be a person who just looks at you and smiles broadly, saying 'Eeee!! put your card in and PIN code' I might say 'I've worn these shirts & trousers a lot. They're a good bet'

I've learned or been told to maintain eye contact all the time. That's never difficult for me - looking straight at, or sideways, toward numerous people around the meeting, dividing stare time equally. I listen. When people waffle or make strange noises I can't interpret, I sometimes ignore or come up with a different sentence to replace what they said, or ask them to rephrase

Ahhh.. maybe years ago, I DID lack a lot of eye contact! Supermarket. Focussing down at my goods on the conveyer belt to pack, not looking at the checkout person, feeling a bit embarrassed. Just wanting to get it done and get out of there. Maybe unfriendly. Now I do look at 'em and remember 'em, and say something humorous to make 'em smile

Last edited:
But if someone answered the journey question as 'OK', I'd judge them as faarr tooo simple to ever consider worthy of conversation
I don't think one can accurately judge somebody else based on one or a few sentences they've spoken, or answers given. Unless it maybe combines with the overall "first impression", which is based on not just their words, but body language, appearance, etc, etc. Even then it may not be very accurate. The person may be in a non-talking mood, or too scared of rejection/ridicule (or making others or themself feel bad) that they just say the most basic of things to get by, or...

But i get what you're meaning, as i've always had that as well. Our complex deliberations on topics bores the hell out of most people .. and their simplistic, everyday, unexciting, unoriginal "blurb" we find equally as boring, perhaps in a different way?.
I've learnt over time, to go easier on the details, as most people dislike too much details - it stresses them out or sth.
Might be that some brains are wired differently, more hyperactive & details-oriented, and less feelings-based. Also i have some kind of Apergers/sth. And went through a checklist with therapist, result was i ticked-all-the-boxes, and so have this ~"gifted child" thing (can't recall exact name, but sth like that).
So this explains why becoming better with people has taken so, so, so long.

recluse

I have no clue what to talk about even when i am with my parents, grandmother or other loved one. I have a lot of hobbies but it does not change the problem. When someone starts a convo with me i cause it to end quickly because i don't know how to keep the flow going.

laure15

Conversations don't come naturally to me. When I'm talking to strangers and friends, the conversation usually goes something like this:

question
answer
question
answer
question
answer
comments
question
answer

Sometimes I feel like I'm the one asking all the questions and that person is just responding to my questions. Also, I tend to change topics quickly and sort of abruptly. For example, I can be talking about weight loss and the next minute, I change the topic to music.

OceanMist

Dude, we should turn this thread into a conversation helping thread which i think was the original intention.

I've been wanting to work on finding thinks to say during conversation because I've noticed that awkward silences happen a fair amount with me.

I also want to be able to go into bars and be able to approach women and converse with them adequately.