I have 2 questions

Gidi

1. Does social phobia run in families?

2. Can social phobia be prevented?

Boby

1.Sometimes.SA(social anxiety) or at least the factors that led to it can be a genetic heritage,in my case for example I was naturally shy,from the moment I could walk and talk I was shy.Also the education and the environment in your family is a huge factor.

2.Yes,definitely.As I said genes are an important factor but not the direct culprit ,it only makes a person more vulnerable to SA than others but it's not the factor that trigger's it.
The actual direct culprit is the environment and education,so SA it's basically learned,so it can be prevented.

mikebird

Banned
My big family were deeply happy, outgoing, prosperous, wealthy, LOL every second, every minute, every day, week, month and year in total of their lives.

I've never met my grandparents - all dead. My aunts & uncles and parents were 50 when I was born, and I only have only three seniors still alive. I've never really got on with my six nieces or cousins, and many of them are married with kids, all very happy; it seemed to be in our DNA. I was out of time - a universe with something against me. I didn't get on, growing up an only child with old parents

I can't blame anyone for my problems. Some head damage might have occurred at early age, and an autoimmune problem.
I behaved a bit differently, without adhering to the family style.

psych

My paternal Grandmother only left the house on Thursdays for shopping.

My mother admits to having slight social anxiety, & some leaning toward agoraphobia.

My brother is only my maternal half brother, he's just fine.

Rembrandt Broam

1. Does social phobia run in families?

Nobody knows for certain, but I firmly believe that it does. I don't think that everyone's SP is genetic because I think that some people's is a result of life experiences, but I do think that some of us have a strong genetic disposition towards social phobia and anxiety.

2. Can social phobia be prevented?

That depends on the cause. If your SP is not genetic, then it could have been prevented by not exposing you to the environmental factors that caused it. If you mean can it be cured, then I don't think it can be 100% cured, but I do think there are steps you can take to improve it.