How much of a social life do you need?

ripewithdecay

Do you think in order to be happy and really feel like you have a good social life that you need to have a lot of friends and be spending a lot of time doing social activities?
Or do you think you would just need a little bit to feel good about yourself and not feel lonely? Like maybe just a few good friends, and only spending maybe 5 to 10 hrs of your week doing social stuff?

I guess it depends how much you treasure your alone time. Myself, If i had maybe 5 good friends and went out once or twice a week i'd feel pretty good about myself. I dont think i'd need more than that because i wouldnt want to be around people all the time.

Im interested to see what anyone else thinks they need at this point to be happy about their social life, and sort of fill that gap, or if you'd need more to the point that it takes up your entire schedule.

PhantomPod

Honestly, I feel like if I just had one friend I would be happy. I am usually pretty content being by myself and only start feeling lonely when something comes up that I would like someone to go with or do with. For example, when it comes to going to the movies, going to concerts, or even just going bowling, I always have the thought "oh, if only I had a friend to do that with..." And then since I have no friends to do any of those activities with, I just feel like I'm missing out. Like just recently a comedian I really like came to town and I didn't go because I had no one to go with and I didn't want to go into a bar in the city by myself to see his show.

So yeah, I think I would be much active and happier if only I had a friend or two. I don't need loads of friends and don't need to go out partying every weekend to feel like I had a nice social life.

bellatrix84

I don't really have friends. At least not people I can hang out with. For some reason I've become so used to this that I tend to feel very uncomfortable in a social situation. I've come described myself as anti-social. Yes, there are times when I would love company just to go to the movies or places in general just like PhantomPod said and it does feel like I'm missing out. I don't feel its necessary to have a lot of friends to be happy but it can get very lonely when u don't :( No one likes to spend every weekend alone.

milo001

i have a few friends but i don't think they're all my true friends.yes we can chat and anything but i fell like one of them always come to my house is because she is lonely herself.so she came to see me.but it's a good company as well.i have never been going out with my friends since last year.it would be cool to go out with your friends watching movies and hanging out in the mall but i just fell too nervous and scared to go out and because i have never worked since last year i fell embarassing to going out to the crowded places like mall anymore.i have develop avoidant personality disorder as well. :(

Moonie

I believe that I have a very low social threshold. I would probably only need 2-3 friends to be content and happy. One would be okay if they were like me and they did not have many other friends as well.

I say this because when I was younger and still had my one childhood friend, I think she got sick of me and felt sorry for me. We had changed. She was more outgoing and comfortable around people. I think she hated to hang out with me with her other friends because I was a bit of an awkward, social dork. So, if I had 2 or 3 friends, I would not run the risk of feeling like a burden on my only friend, nor would I feel like I am getting too clingy with him/her. There's always the possibility that that one friend will change and we will grow apart or she/he will find a partner and not have much time for me. I tend to meet a friend or partner and become too dependent on them. It turns me into an ugly person when they go out with someone else - and not me. So, if I had others, I think I would feel more normal and less dependant on that one friend. If that one friend left me, I'd be utterly alone again.

As far as activities go, I like to go out - walking, swimming, browsing a store. I don't mind doing these alone, though. But, as mentioned above, it's nice to have a friend to go with you toa concert or a bar (I never have anyone who will go to a bar with me to see a band.)