how many of u ??????

LA323

think, or are positive that you'll NEVER cure ur SA?, cuz im one of them, ive tried every single thing possible........drugs, phsycologists, and all that shit, but nothing, so im 100 percent sure it will never go away ive just given up on trying 2 make something about it, cuz i know nothing will work. Anyone relate?

dzerklis

yep i relate, in a way. i was born extremely shy and will take it tom my grave. although i've tried only one med so far, and i knoe CBT works for me (for my anxiety not for shyness), i have absolutely no desire to go out and socialize with people cause most of them are doublefaced jerks, why would i want to go out and do anything with them?

I think I've read somewhere that if you believe you're uncurable, you won't be cured, and vice versa. I attempted going to see someone and I decided it was a waste of money. I haven't tried CBT yet, but my hopes remain high that CBT will work.

I know how you feel, though. It feels as though SA is really a part of you, not just an "add-on" that you can push away. My thoughts have usually been negative, like yours. But now I'm beginning to think that if I wasn't born with SA, what's stopping me from getting rid of it?

Horatio

dzerklis said:
yep i relate, in a way. i was born extremely shy and will take it tom my grave. although i've tried only one med so far, and i knoe CBT works for me (for my anxiety not for shyness), i have absolutely no desire to go out and socialize with people cause most of them are doublefaced jerks, why would i want to go out and do anything with them?

hehe you sound so like me dzerklis!

LA323, I used to think that my SA was incurable. I had seen many psychologists, been on about six different courses of medication etc and I was 100% sure that my SA would never go away.

Ive had SA for probably about 7 - 8 years since my mid teens. Sure my SA hasnt gone away by any means but it is infinetly more managable now and is improving rapidly.

So please don't give up even if it feels like youve tried everything. There is truth in what QuietStranger says regarding believing you can't be cured. My suggestion would be to focus on the following two things first

1: Learn about Social Anxiety and how it works, learn as much as you can from reputable sources or psycologists. Ask them lots of questions until you feel you understand how it works. (By finding and coming to this site you've already demonstrated an effort to learn more) You can't slay the beast until you know what it looks like, even St George would've had difficulty killing the dragon if he didnt know what dragons looked like :p

2: Identify the very root of your Social Anxiety. Try to understand what caused it, when, how, why. This is something that you should enlist the help of a psyciatrist for if you feel unable to do it alone. SA didnt pop out of nowhere and latch on to you for no reason, they must have been contributing circumstances or experiences which led to it.

Once you understand what Social Anxiety is, how it works and how you came to suffer from it then a lot of it's "mystic" is removed. It no longer appears as a gloomy cloud settled in for eternity but instead becomes an issue with parameters and patterns. It becomes something that can be tackled, something that can be beaten.

thequietone

It may never go away, and you might never become the "life of the party" but you will learn better ways to cope. Life doesn't suck forever if you stick with it. It has it's ups and downs.

I've recently come to the conclusion that I will never be completely free of anxiety and shyness. It's in my blood, it's become a part of me. All my childhood I waited to grow out of it, but it's still here, because it's a small part of who I am. Everybody has their "thing" their problem, their inner struggle.
Some are bigger than others, but I guess it's important to accept yourself. Also try to understand that you are within your control and if you want to modify aspects of yourself that are damaging like anxiety and social phobia, then you have that right. Even if you're never anxiety free, you can still have a full, enjoyable life.

thequietone

It may never go away, and you might never become the "life of the party" but you will learn better ways to cope. Life doesn't suck forever if you stick with it. It has it's ups and downs.

I've recently come to the conclusion that I will never be completely free of anxiety and shyness. It's in my blood, it's become a part of me. All my childhood I waited to grow out of it, but it's still here, because it's a small part of who I am. Everybody has their "thing" their problem, their inner struggle.
Some are bigger than others, but I guess it's important to accept yourself. Also try to understand that you are within your control and if you want to modify aspects of yourself that are damaging like anxiety and social phobia, then you have that right. Even if you're never anxiety free, you can still have a full, enjoyable life.

IceLad

I can relate to you LA323. The amount of things I've tried to combat SP with is endless. Sometimes, I have little hope! :(

What motivates me is the amount of time I've already lost to it. It makes me determined to push my life forward little by little no matter what.

aguppylife

I'm finding hobbies that don't include humans as participants. Then I stay in isolation without worrying bout it as much.

Quixote

QuietStranger said:
I know how you feel, though. It feels as though SA is really a part of you, not just an "add-on" that you can push away.

That's exactly like I feel. I remember having it since my earliest childhood memories, and I couldn't think of me being otherwise. Even as a little child, I would socialize a bit, but always with this clear feeling that there was something wrong with me, even when I was three years old in kindergarten (not joking or exaggerating at all). All my life, I have been having few friends, and felt usually either dependent on them or on the contrary not interested in their company. I remember once when I was maybe four, talking to some other child and asking him reassurances that he was my friend, again and again, until he told me the child equivalent of "Yes I am. Now please fuck off and let me be".

So I don't know, it might be something wrong in my brain, or if it was an event that triggered it, it must have happened right after my birth... :)

boodizm

I actually think I will be at some point in the future. Even when it was as a bad as it got, I always thought I would conquer it, but that was just hope, these days it feels quite tangible. I'm just glad i've improved and continuing to do so and thats, in my mind what life is all about. Then again it may be a true character trait of mine so I may never shake it off completely.

LittleMissMuffet

Hi everyone,

I also remember being antisocial at the tender age of 4 or 5 and I even believed 'something was wrong with me'. My grandmother definetly suffered anxiety. She was very controlling, (actually wasn't a nice person towards so much), became very agitated at any change and needed to control the environment around her. I observe similar traits in relatives on her side of the family.

I look very similar to my grandmother and remembered disliking myself when I was a child for how anal-retentive I was and a perfectionist. I was very very sensitive to any stimulation outside. I was highly self-concious also.

I believe that if you love the child and take care of the child that you can learn to see the difference between what you can and cannot change. ...sure I was/am poorly at adapting to different situations, highly strung and very sensitive; but I am also (perhaps unusually) talented at art and I have a good capacity to empathise with people (even though I may not have fully reached that capacity yet).

....What I am saying to you all is to 'love the child' within you. I think that one of the biggest causes of unhappiness and struggle is when we are not aware of what we can and cannot change and incorrectly call something that is 'good' and 'perfect', 'bad' and 'imperfect'. ...What actually decides what is 'right' etc? ...what laws determine who fits in and who is the outcast? ...I think that such laws are all invented by people and that therefore they can -and in fact, are- continuosly reinvented.

Back in the 50s they believed that homosexuality was wrong. That the answer to the great 'nature vs nurture' debate (still waging on for some people in this case) was all nurture; and that homosexuality, a 'sin' and a freak of nature, could and should be 'cured'. ...Decades later we look back in horror, and with the foresight that we more recently have gained we see that the only 'sin' against nature was/is to believe that homosexuals can and should change their fundamental nature. The point is that it is the way people judge what is 'flawed' and 'sinful' and 'wrong' that causes most, if not all, the misery.

But notice that with greater awareness and understanding we can better distinguish between what can and cannot be changed; and awareness of this goes with awareness of what we should actually be trying to change.

An example of what I mean is here:- for a long time I have been battling with my social anxiety; and even with an understanding of the principles behind cognitive behavioural therapy, I have still not managed to break through. Yet I hope that with believin that the 'child part', the very core of me is good and right, that somehow, through more work and the guidance of therapists, I can find this part and then change the rest that I need to change. Instead, I believe that I haven't and that I've been trying to change my self too much and when a person does that their battle is magnified and they suffer both the injury of not getting anywhere as well as the insult in believing themself fundamental 'wrong', or born flawed.

I notice that recently I found someone who made me believe again in my self; who helped encourage me and supported the 'child part', the very core basis of who I am. ...and it is amazing how even with this little bit of encouragement, I can believe in changing my self. But if I think that I am fundamentally wrong than I feel totally hopeless and this is a fault in thinking. ...it is wrong thinking that others have but that I get pulled along inot thinking.

Years from now when we learn more about the way our minds work, people will be able to explain social phobia and eventually also a myriad of other illnesses and ailments that people suffer from. When people have mastered a problem they can see what is 'right' from 'wrong' , what cannot and should not be changed from what can and needs to be changed. In other words, they acquire a perspective that sees the core part of people that is correct, right etc and this makes the mountains into molehills. Whilst we still have not seen this, and cannot see the part that cannot be changed, the child like part, we try to change too much. this leads to a never-ending circle of struggle -the 'vicious circle'. But with the belief in this simply existing -a solution- it gets you even a smidgeon closer to having found it. ...because it is there, and this isn't the first time that I have experienced trying to change something and struggling a great deal, to eventually have found my answer in finding this small part of my self (the 'child part'). Once a person finds that they find everything.

And all their old ideas of what was 'bad' and what was 'good' are completely turned upside down. ...this change in perspective is the central aim of cognitive behavioural therapy. And as hard as it is to get the miracle that you look for, doesn't mean that it isn't there. It can only exist there waiting for you to find it. ...I don't wish to undermine all your sufferring, nor do I wish to be condescending towards your intelligence. This has much more to do with emotions than it has to do with intellectual brilliance or the like. ...But this part of you exists and perhaps you simply need someone to encourage it ...I did, and eventhough I haven't found it yet, I know that it is there, and having someone encourage me in this makes all the difference and more.

Anyhow, I really do not wish to seem like I have rose-colored glasses on or to patronise you. But I have been through a very dark place before where I faced and dealth with some horrible fears and insecurities. I won't even go into them because a person needs some kind of privacy (have you ever broken out in a cold sweat, lying curled up on the floor because there was something you were completely terrified of?). So I'll just say that I have been through them and there is a light at the end of it all.
And I have been reading the Gospel, and writings of people like Carl Jung since. And one of the things that Jesus says is: "What is the Kingdom of Heaven like? What shall I compare it with?...A man is looking for pearls. When he finds one that is unusually fine he takes that pearl and leaves all the rest." and: 'The Kingdom of Heaven is like a mustard seed. It is the smallest of seeds but when it grows up it becomes the biggest of plants and the birds come and make their nests in it.' He also states that 'whoever welcomes this child welcomes me'.

Sorry to get preachy. But I really honestly believe that the very heart of everyone is perfect and that the only thing truly wrong is to believe and to tell others to believe that it isn't.

LittleMissMuffet

P.S. Horatio: I get the feeling that you're getting past your anxiety. I like the way you talk about things. And I'm hoping to see my (even great) sensitivity in a positive way like you seem to be able to.

scatmantom

I will never be a "normal" person. My Psycolgost told me that I will never be 100% anxiety free. I can definatly live an almost "normal" life tho, I just have to be aware of the anxiety and try to balance and plan around it. Its a crap way to live but its better than living in fear of the anxiety.

Jack-B

good posts.

Anxiety is not permanent.

Anxiety is a state of mind which appears to us and continues to arise because we dont know how to deal with it or how it functions to corrupt our reality.

One of the biggest conceptions of our own mind which triggers this beast is what we 'imagine' others think of us. This happens almost spontaneously because we dont recognise it happening in our mind. It causes us to grasp at 'our self', we identify anxiety as our self and so we generate wrong conceptions of who we are and how we exist. When we are anxious we see a distorted view of our self and other people and our world. We refer to ourself as a scared person, unconfident, shy etc all because we identify so closely with a state of mind which is completly deceptive. So we believe it, we believe we are shy, unconfident and this is how we relate to our self.

Completly deceiving is our mind of anxiety. Anyone who believes they cannot overcome it is buying into its power, under its influence. There is no-one or anything to be scared of, this state of mind makes us believe this is true. Its not! No one or anything has power from their own side to make our mind scared, that comes from within our own mind as anxiety.

Because its not permanent and can be reduced and does subside it can be overcome. It just takes practice. Disbelieve this mind when you notice it, its deceiving you, you cant rely on something that is not giving you the truth.

Jack

Moonie

Well, I am pretty certain that I will not make some miraculous change, but I have some hope that things can become easier and can change subtley. I have always had this fantasy in HS that one day I will move away to a new place where no one knows me and I will start fresh and will be more like the person I imagine and wish to be.. But now that I am getting older, I know that is not likely to happen. I now have a new fantasy: They will make a drug that will help alter the way I feel. I will be more comfortable and at ease.. a lot like the highly buzzed feeling you get from alcohol (except no idiocy or uncoordination). I guess that's just my American thinking: a quick fix.

I guess really there is a part of me who doesn't want to really change all too much. Why change who I am? Surrender to wht everyone else thinks is an interesting, fun person? Why not be satisfied wih being different? I don't think I am made out to be an extrovert.. It takes to much energy to socialize.. I like my quiet life. I like not having what people call "drama." I guess really what I want is to be happy and content with who I am. If I had just the confidence to stand by my convictions and love me, then who cares about anything else.

I haven't done much to try and change- no meds, no therapy, nothing. I might in the future, but I am stubborn. I hate asking for help and like everything else, I will try and solve this myself.

LA-girl

Yes, I would put myself in that same boat...I am almost sure that my SA will never improve a hundred percent. But you know what, that's ok. I remember many years ago when the SA-nightmare hit me right in the stomach and I felt I would never ever become happy if I could not eliminate this condition and I was desperate to get rid of it one way or the other. But as years went by I kind of got used to it and I started to accept it. Don't misunderstand though, if there was a magic pill that would cure this disease instantly, I would probably take it. Yes it would probably make my life easier, but I doubt I would become a much happier person being anxiety-free as I most of the time feel quite happy and content despite my phobia... :D

Chrysta

I have been on medication for awhile and I am doing really well. I went to a baby shower yesterday that had atleast 25 people.. and I only knew about 7 of them. I am pretty much cured right now. I still have issues every once and awhile. Certain things (most of the time unreasonable things) do still trigger me. I think if I went to school instead of homeschooling I would be dead in the water. I don't think that I could do it at all. I also don't want to know how I will be if I go off medication. I don't want to risk feeling that way again. So cured for life? No. But I can mange pretty well.

I feel bad for the people on this site that have no hope. Things will work out eventually. And I am living proof of that. It may take longer for some people or maybe more work.. but it will happen. You can be happy one day. Just don't give up.

LittleMissMuffet

Jack-B,
I really appreciate your take on anxiety. There are a few things that you've written that I would like to contemplate, since they seem significant to my finding my way out of things.

I also appreciate your emphasis on impermenance. I read once....

'Wise is the person who sees life in terms of cycles (change etc);
Clever is the one who uses this knowledge"

Jack-B

Littlemissmuffet

Exactly.

We need a heart felt understanding of methods to overcome anxiety and contemplating impermanence helps considerably. I have this routine that when i get up out of bed i always remember that today could be my last day, we just dont know. Everything else then on in the day doesnt seem too big a deal.

Its training and getting our mind into a routine that helps in overcoming nasty bad habits we create for ourself.

Jack

blubs

I think I've had it too long to overcome it really...in that...even if I got rid of the anxiety...I doubt I would be able to develop any reasonable social skills. Human interaction is a mystery to me.
I find animals easier to understand...maybe because they have no language...so they communicate in expression & body language. People have instincts & body language too...but then we have this whole other layer of spoken language too when we meet people. I think I've spent too long in a quiet world of my own...to keep up with other peoples conversations.
In short...having SA has made me slow-witted...which makes me poor company...so even if I wasn't anxious...it wouldn't matter...people wouldn't want to spend time with me anyway.
Luckily I love my dog. & she thinks I'm ace.