Help with challenging this thought "I might not be able to think of anything to say"

shinghan

Help with challenging this thought "I might not be able to think of anything to say"

Hey people! I've been recording my thoughts for a while now and found one particular thought to be distressing. When I'm meeting people and about to have a conversation I always think something bad will happen. I clearly think "I might not be able to think of anything to say". It's happened to me only a couple of times before. I've had conversations that run dry because I couldn't think of what to say next, ending up with me having a blank brain and waiting anxiously for the other person to break the awkward pause.

How do you guys cope with this thought?

Hoppy

Re: Help with challenging this thought "I might not be able to think of anything to s

I've actually told people: "Sorry my brain has stopped working, your turn to say something now."

I truly believe there is some connection missing in my mind. What is in my head somehow don't come out of my mouth. I think of it as stuttering, but instead of single words, I cannot do entire sentences.

The only solution I have is to try anyway, and hope for the best. "The people who matter won't mind, and the people who mind don't matter."

Last edited:

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Re: Help with challenging this thought "I might not be able to think of anything to s

A coping mechanism I learned to use is, think externally. Think and visualize about what they are talking about. Ask simple questions, people (most ppl) like talking about themselves.

You, my friend, are falling into one of the classic traps of SA.
You are focusing inward with your thoughts. Think more outwards, focus more on the world around you, less on yourself and you can fix this :)