Girls, do you go for personality or looks?

MotherWolff

Banned
I think you're putting yourself down a little harshly here. Also you say "nerdy" like it's a bad thing.

Well, you are probably right. I do tend to over exaggerate my personality and looks in a negative way. But in this civilization(America), being nerdy isn't very attractive especially in women. Although I do believe there are gems(men) out there who would just adore a nerdy girl like me. They are just hard to find. Where are they?

But in this civilization(America), being nerdy isn't very attractive especially in women. Although I do believe there are gems(men) out there who would just adore a nerdy girl like me. They are just hard to find. Where are they?

Actually, I would argue that it's harder for a nerdy man than it is for a woman. Often nerdy women are just seen as "cute", especially if they already have an attractive face, whereas a nerdy man is seen as weak, feminine, etc. I'm not saying it's right, just that it seems to be harder for the male "nerds" out there.

Kiwong

Everyone has looks and a personality. My personality is a bit weird and damaged. My looks- I look like me, no one else, I'm not sure if that is good or bad.

nicole1

A bit of both. I've gone for both just personality or looks and I have not always won either way. I like the combo of both.

thegunners21

I will say this. A good personality won't necessarily make one "hotter", but a shi**y one will make one uglier for sure. For example, take two girls. Let's assign a rating of 6 to girl A's looks (for the sake of the argument), and a rating of 9 to girls B's looks.

Now, if girl A has a decent personality, her rating would stay at 6 (again, doing the ratings for the sake of the argument and comparison), because a decent personality should be the minimum for every human. Now, add in a good sense of humour and that rating might be pushed up to 7 or 8.

Now, if girl B is a total bitch to the point where hanging out with her is unbearable, her rating would probably drop in half to 4.5. Might be desirable for casual sex, but not for long-term relationship.

Again, this is purely hypothetical and the ratings are purely for the argument's sake, so don't chastise me here.

LA-girl

When it comes to a long-term relationship or marriage; personality without a doubt. For me when picking my husband, his appearance (face and body) meant close to zero. But sometimes you can be wrong about the personality too. Sometimes you think that if you go for a person who has low self esteem and not as the men you may have had a crush on in the past, you will not end up getting hurt. A nerd for instance. But it turns out, and i don't think i'm the only one with this experience, that it's many times the opposite way around.

razzle dazzle rose

Chemistry matters most to me...which would be a combo of both looks and personality, and how well we get along. If a guy has a great personality but I am just not into him, he makes a good friend. And if the guy is hot but not that awesome personality wise, well, he makes another kind of friend ;)

razzle dazzle rose

Sometimes you think that if you go for a person who has low self esteem and not as the men you may have had a crush on in the past, you will not end up getting hurt. A nerd for instance. But it turns out, and i don't think i'm the only one with this experience, that it's many times the opposite way around.

You are not the only one with that experience :) it is always a gamble with people. They just don't fit a mold.

MotherWolff

Banned
Actually, I would argue that it's harder for a nerdy man than it is for a woman. Often nerdy women are just seen as "cute", especially if they already have an attractive face, whereas a nerdy man is seen as weak, feminine, etc. I'm not saying it's right, just that it seems to be harder for the male "nerds" out there.

But it always seems like guys like girly girl women way over nerdy or tomboy girls (I am also a tomboy). But I see what you're saying though. I definitely agree that it is harder for a male nerd to find a partner than a female nerd. But girl nerds still have it pretty tough. Tomboys too.

Bree1989

There has to be both. If a guy is really nice, but not physically attractive, then I'll just be his friend. If a guy is really hot, but an idiot, I'll want to sleep with him but won't want to date him.

But of course once I fall in love with a guy, he could have his face bashed in and I would still love him forever. There just has to be an initial attraction to get things going.