Feel weird when my 10 year old nephew sees me playing computer games. Anyone else?

shinghan

Hey people! Just posting one of many things that go off in my mind. My sister goes to work from morning until late night. I watch over my niece who is 12 years old and my nephew who is 10 while she is away. For some reason I don't enjoy it when my nephew sees me playing a game on my computer. It gives me a weird vibe. I'm sure what it is though. Any ideas?

MotherWolff

Banned
Well, based on the fact that you are posting on this type of forum, I am assuming that you feel a "weird vibe" possibly because your nephew becomes very critical of your gaming performance. My nephews are the same way.

The truth is that he can say all the nasty stuff he wants about the way you play. Its not going to end your life or the world or whatever.

I mean, he is a little boy. Little boys these days love to try to get under older people's skin to test them and see how we will react.

The appropiate way for you to act, I believe, is with self-control.

Then again I could be wrong, yeah.

shinghan

Yea my nephew asks a lot of questions and I just don't like answering many of them. He's very curious by nature so he'll ask so many questions about what I'm doing. I don't tell him to stop because I don't want him thinking I'm being mean or anything.

THeCARS1979

Yea my nephew asks a lot of questions and I just don't like answering many of them. He's very curious by nature so he'll ask so many questions about what I'm doing. I don't tell him to stop because I don't want him thinking I'm being mean or anything.

that sounds annoying

shinghan

My sis told me he's a special child and so he's very sensitive. That's why I don't tell him to stop or anything.

I guess you're somehow ashamed of video gaming?

RegalSin

Maybe that is why you feel not to pass it down to him? Maybe you want to be lazy and tell him to go away and do some math problems, or play outside. So this way you can feel that you are a good person, and still be lazy and just play videogames. By being lazy I mean with things you can do with your family member.

It is funny how you say the nephew and not the full blown teenager, niece. Part of becoming an adult is learning how to ask questions. In life this is a great skill. The ability to take chances and get messy. This is part of "overcoming adversary". Your nephew obviously in the stages where this thing is critical ( or a topic they have knowledge in ).
So he is just being alive about the topic at hand.

Right now you sound like being a synd?? towards their questions. People will come along and say something to make us stop asking questions. Sometimes they are trying to be our friend and wants you to slow down or take things easy. Sometimes they are doing it on purpose.

For an ten year old person they are still kids at heart but beginners adults ( starting adult at least ) begging for the underling information for life. In his life videogames is something he can comprehend and is fun. Theirfore he treats it as work.

I could only assume he also play videogames or have the notion to play videogames. Like most people and he is using this as his crutch of knowledge that he can GET ALONG WITH YOU.

Another thing I assume you have odd ideas about this person for another reason. Many ideas like actually doing something with the person

shinghan

Maybe that is why you feel not to pass it down to him? Maybe you want to be lazy and tell him to go away and do some math problems, or play outside. So this way you can feel that you are a good person, and still be lazy and just play videogames. By being lazy I mean with things you can do with your family member.

It is funny how you say the nephew and not the full blown teenager, niece. Part of becoming an adult is learning how to ask questions. In life this is a great skill. The ability to take chances and get messy. This is part of "overcoming adversary". Your nephew obviously in the stages where this thing is critical ( or a topic they have knowledge in ).
So he is just being alive about the topic at hand.

Right now you sound like being a synd?? towards their questions. People will come along and say something to make us stop asking questions. Sometimes they are trying to be our friend and wants you to slow down or take things easy. Sometimes they are doing it on purpose.

For an ten year old person they are still kids at heart but beginners adults ( starting adult at least ) begging for the underling information for life. In his life videogames is something he can comprehend and is fun. Theirfore he treats it as work.

I could only assume he also play videogames or have the notion to play videogames. Like most people and he is using this as his crutch of knowledge that he can GET ALONG WITH YOU.

Another thing I assume you have odd ideas about this person for another reason. Many ideas like actually doing something with the person

My case of social anxiety is pretty severe. I've never worked or volunteered at all. I've pretty much holed myself up in my apartment the whole time. It's difficult for me to connect with anyone, even my own family and friends. I just try to avoid it altogether.

My thinking is that I'm no good at babysitting or being a role model because I've never had anyone in my life who was like that. I feel that it wouldn't be a good idea if my nephew does the things I do. Since my sister works 12-14 hours a day it's usually only me at home and not my sister, so he's always doing things I do which is play games online and not with him. I always think I shouldn't have moved in with my sister and watched her kids.

I also have a case of moderate to severe depression as well. Nowadays I don't feel positive emotive emotions too much. Maybe when I'm watching a video or something I'll smile. When I'm playing with the kids I just don't feel much. I feel more irritated than anything but I try not to show it too much. I actually cry sometimes because I don't feel much towards them.

I haven't mentioned my niece because she's the social one. She has her own friends who she talks to and wants to hang out often so she's doing fine. My nephew is the one that resembles a lot like me. Very anti social, hates doing class presentations, doesn't mention anything about friends or hanging out with them. I'm worried that he will be much like me and I don't want that. My sister being in the healthcare field already understands this and she's doing much on her side so that there's early intervention.

Last edited:
My case of social anxiety is pretty severe. I've never worked or volunteered at all. I've pretty much holed myself up in my apartment the whole time. It's difficult for me to connect with anyone, even my own family and friends. I just try to avoid it altogether.

My thinking is that I'm no good at babysitting or being a role model because I've never had anyone in my life who was like that. I feel that it wouldn't be a good idea if my nephew does the things I do. Since my sister works 12-14 hours a day it's usually only me at home and not my sister, so he's always doing things I do which is play games online and not with him. I always think I shouldn't have moved in with my sister and watched her kids.

I also have a case of moderate to severe depression as well. Nowadays I don't feel positive emotive emotions too much. Maybe when I'm watching a video or something I'll smile. When I'm playing with the kids I just don't feel much. I feel more irritated than anything but I try not to show it too much. I actually cry sometimes because I don't feel much towards them.

I haven't mentioned my niece because she's the social one. She has her own friends who she talks to and wants to hang out often so she's doing fine. My nephew is the one that resembles a lot like me. Very anti social, hates doing class presentations, doesn't mention anything about friends or hanging out with them. I'm worried that he will be much like me and I don't want that. My sister being in the healthcare field already understands this and she's doing much on her side so that there's early intervention.

You sound like a good guy. Why don't you work on this and fix it? Specially if you have the opportunity to, living with your sister and having most of the day to do it. Check out Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing. It's amazing.

shinghan

Thanks for the input everyone! Your comments lifted my spirits up a bit. I will definitely check out your suggestion EasySkanking!