Ever feel overly attached to your pets?

TheNewZero

I feel like I have a really unhealthy attachment to my pets. I've had my two bunny rabbits since I was fourteen. They've always lived with me in my room and have been my responsibility. Well last year I went to college for the first time and moved into the dorms. I missed them so much, and two months later got an apartment because I couldn't stand being away from them. Now I've moved back to my parents house with them. I really want to spend a year or two abroad in Europe, but I can't leave them. I keep on thinking what if they die, or what if my parents don't take care of them right. I mean I guess it's normal to become attached to your pets, but I feel like they've become my whole life, and I sort of feel like they're holding me back. I guess it's because I don't have any friends, and am not very close to my parents. I don't feel this way about my dogs or cats, just my bunnies. I guess it's because I'm the only person they have. Anyone else??

TheNewZero

forgot to post pics of the babies:

DSC00536.jpg

DSC00382.jpg

DSC00931.jpg

Emily_G

I feel the same way about my dogs. They are my children, I don't even like leaving them in their crate when they are home alone.

lunarla

I don't know about overly, but I'm strongly attached to my cat. It's been the deepest bond of any animal I've had, ever. For the most part, I think it's healthy. It's just when my OCD sort of takes over, it's one of the things that gets affected. Just a couple days ago when I noticed that Leo (my kitty) wasn't waiting outside the window when I woke up like he usually is, I was panicking the entire day. Repeating things over and over in my head a certain number of times, etc. "If I don't do this, he won't come home..." So I'd have to carry out certain ridiculous tasks, etc. He came home though! But the thing is, if he didn't, I don't know what I would have done. I would have been completely devastated. Months ago when I was really bad into my depression and all that, he was one of the very few things keeping me going. <just took a ten minute hiatus from typing this to pet Leo because he jumped on my lap> I think that when you raise an animal from when they're just babies they become to look at you as their mother, and I really feel that! I'm very maternal and truly care for him in that kind of way. It became more evident to me how close my kitty and I are when a couple friends have pointed it out. Also I get this weird endearment reaction whenever I see him. I don't know. I'm probably sounding like the crazy cat lady so I'll leave this reply at that!

SPV

I have 2 cats and I love them so dearly. But they're not very playful though... They like to be left alone most of the time, but sometimes they jump to bed with me and enjoy being stroked.
I'm not really as attached to my pets as you are,, but I do worry about them and miss them so much when I'm away.

mrb

nothing wrong with loving your pets .... i like you lol the world is full of people that are cruel to animals , but your not 1 of them , your ok in my book gazza ;)

spect01

I love my cats. Kinda weird for a guy to love his cats but hey what the heck. Both of them are kind of obsessed with me.

dooby-duck

I don't know about overly, but I'm strongly attached to my cat. It's been the deepest bond of any animal I've had, ever. For the most part, I think it's healthy. It's just when my OCD sort of takes over, it's one of the things that gets affected. Just a couple days ago when I noticed that Leo (my kitty) wasn't waiting outside the window when I woke up like he usually is, I was panicking the entire day. Repeating things over and over in my head a certain number of times, etc. "If I don't do this, he won't come home..." So I'd have to carry out certain ridiculous tasks, etc. He came home though! But the thing is, if he didn't, I don't know what I would have done. I would have been completely devastated.

I had that problem with my first dog especially as she got older. I'd have to do things or my dog would get ill. Just the way OCD has a hold.

I get really attached to my pets. They are the things I'm closest to and care about. They give me something to focus on, that won't judge or comment. I can easily connect with animals whereas with people it takes years if ever.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I don't think there can be such a thing as overly attached to your pets. Unless maybe you're trying to mate with them. If you are: please seek help.

Felgen

I love my pets, but I don't find that weird. My pets love me for who I am and are loyal to me no matter how effed up my self-esteem is and no matter how severe my anxiety is.

Pink_Paula

I adore my pets, They make me happy everyday, i'm guaranteed to smile a few times during the day because of them no matter how low i feel. And i would be lost without my little fluffies!

Kat

Yeah, I get very attached to them, for a good majority of my life they were my only friends. It’s warped but the maternal feeling I should have for children, I have for my pets. I use to think my sa was the reason I didn’t bond with kids, and I don’t like admitting that to people because they assume people that don’t want kids are horrible, but having children doesn’t make someone a good person.

SickCycleCarousel

I can relate. When I was 20/21 moved in with my half-sister (who lived in Washington) and left my cat behind. I thought about her every day one night I had a dream about her and had a panic attack...I called my parents that day and my dad drove up to get me and the next day I was home.
It's a long story, but I wasn't really panicking about my cat...she was kinda like a scapegoat; I used my attachment to her as an excuse to leave.

NinjaLikesToast

Aww I think that's cute :)
I don't think this is much of a problem, so long as you can be realistic about it.
Don't let it control your life though, those bunnies will love you either way ;)