Down the same road, again and again

DanFC

It's the same old story that many of you may experience.

I meet this drop-dead gorgeous gal who's funny and sweet in my orgo lab class (not by choice btw, I rarely meet someone by choice, she was my partner for one of the weeks). She talks to me on occasion and I run into her in one of my other classes. She tries to talk to me, every now and then, and I really try to reciprocate, but the words just don't come out right. And the few times I can get the words right, I'm so anxious that I'm pretty sure it sounds bad.

Now I'm always thinking about her, but it's like, how can she possibly be interested in me, even if not in a romantic way? By the typical standards, she's amazing; she's tall, blond, and ridiculously good-looking. But she's also more than that; she's so sweet, relatively easy to talk to, fun to be around, and I can just tell she's a good person.

Then I look at myself and just tell myself I'm imagining things. I'm short, not good looking by any standards (being objective as I can), really awkward, and I've grown to be a "bit" gruff. So I miss my opportunities to have a real conversation with her, and a jewel like her will surely be swept away by the sort of guys I meet that are like her, just as a guy. A fun, great-looking, good person.

So I tell myself that I she's way better off with someone like herself, that there's no reason for her to stoop down to my level. Even if she made it explicitly clear that she liked me, I couldn't put her through the hell that is I.

So yeah, I don't know. That's what I got to say. I guess others here have gone through the same thing, so I'm not really whining. I just feel like I have this crushing heavy load, and maybe this expression will ease a bit of it.

coyote

it doesn't have to be an "all or nothing" prospect

just get to know her - as a person

enjoy each other's company - make friends

take the pressure off yourself

if she's interested in something more - cool

if not - that's cool, too - you've met a nice person...

and maybe learned something that will help you in the future

DanFC

it sounds like you already have

How do you mean? I've never had a real conversation with her, much less anybody else. I'm in my 3rd year of uni and the best I've got are "acquaintances", people who I just say hi to in class.

coyote

How do you mean? I've never had a real conversation with her, much less anybody else. I'm in my 3rd year of uni and the best I've got are "acquaintances", people who I just say hi to in class.

sorry - maybe i read into your post - I thought it sounded like you talked to her on occasion

there are all sorts of levels of friendship

DanFC

sorry - maybe i read into your post - I thought it sounded like you talked to her on occasion

there are all sorts of levels of friendship

"Talked to her" is a bit of a stretch, more like she tries to talk to me and I mumble and fumble along.

But yeah, there are lots levels of friendship. I just wish for once I'd have someone I could say more than hi to without feeling awkward. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not blaming others for my ineptitude, I'm not waiting for somebody who's worthy of my time or anything.

coyote

"Talked to her" is a bit of a stretch, more like she tries to talk to me and I mumble and fumble along.

But yeah, there are lots levels of friendship. I just wish for once I'd have someone I could say more than hi to without feeling awkward. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not blaming others for my ineptitude, I'm not waiting for somebody who's worthy of my time or anything.

I truly know how you feel

After 40 years of awkward hellos, it's gotten better

all I can say is, don't give up

you have to play the numbers

keep saying hi to everyone you meet - don't expect that you'll connect with everyone

but some you will

those are the ones you'll cherish

DanFC

I truly know how you feel

After 40 years of awkward hellos, it's gotten better

all I can say is, don't give up

you have to play the numbers

keep saying hi to everyone you meet - don't expect that you'll connect with everyone

but some you will

those are the ones you'll cherish

Alright, and thanks for putting up with my whining ;)

Looks like another job well done here. Time for my 2 cents.
images

No,no, I insist, there yours.

DanFC

Looks like another job well done here. Time for my 2 cents.
images

No,no, I insist, there yours.

Another job well done like the problem has been solved? That'd be nice XD More like the achievement of unsettling complacency. But maybe that's the best I can hope for.

3lefts

Agreed, the my two scents joke was really funny.

DanFC, you should talk to her. Push your comfort zone a little and try to manage a conversation. Doesn't have to be much, doesn't have to be long. But it's a good idea.
Believe in yourself. You're not that bad, physical appearance doesn't make a good relationship, so don't worry about that. What makes you loveable and able to withstand is your demeanour. You seem like a nice guy.
I think too much too fast, too. The trick is stealing yourself before you can think otherwise. Everyone has problems and there are people who are a lot worse about them than you. The thing about love is that, two people will go through hell to be together. If you can face the hell that is you to come above it and experience love, you'll earn it.
You will be good enough no matter what!
Because you took an amazing risk for something beautiful.
Those are my thoughts anyway.

Social-E-Aukward

The thing about love is that, two people will go through hell to be together. If you can face the hell that is you to come above it and experience love, you'll earn it.
You will be good enough no matter what!
Because you took an amazing risk for something beautiful.

I believe in this as well. People who really love each other will put up with anything and do anything for the other. People who are really meant to be together are the ones who are able to love each other wholly and completely.

@ DanFC:
I say try talking to her. If you quit trying, that's really the only way you can truly fail. By giving up and viewing this as a depressing cycle ("down the same road, again and again") you will guarantee that it will be just that. I'd try thinking of it as your opportunity. Maybe for friends, maybe something much more! Who knows? Whatever it turns into when you take an initiative, surely that will be better than living the rest of your life simply wondering what you lost when you gave up.

Friends are good to have around too, though, but I think it's best to keep friends close that will support YOU in whatever you want to do, even when they don't always like WHAT you are doing. Meaning, they might be do something different if they were "in your shoes", but they still encourage you to make your own decisions. A real friend will try to be there even when they don't entirely agree with the course of action. They'll help you because they have faith in YOU, and they'll be ready to catch you if you make a mistake.

I often find myself wishing I had an opportunity like yours. I used to, but wasted the potential for making things better by not saying anything.

punklove

I agree with coyote.
Just try to get to know her more... no matter how hard it may seem.
Good luck :) I hope everything works out for you!

Hastings & Main

I agree: Do not waste potential.
Take it from us older types: the regrets pile up & it's not a pleasant scrapbook to leaf through.
Practice talking to girls whom you're not attracted to physically but may have something in common with in other ways. This way you get the chops down, you learn to open up, and you may make a few female friends while you're at it.

DanFC

Wow, that's really all I can say. I've read these recent posts and I find myself newly inspired and motivated. Thank you all so much, know that you've uplifted someone's spirit today ^_^ I'll definitely try to talk to her today then. Thanks again.