Doing something about it.

wooaah

I'm 30 this year. I feel like I used to be a much more open person. But for the last 6 or 7 years, i shut down completely socially, had a mental breakdown. And its been a very long painful path. I feel like i haven't developed as a person at all, and everything in my life, career, lack of relationships, is stagnating.

I want to do something about it, reach out to people again, be ambitious about my career again. Better late than never. Has anyone made this resolution before? Know how to go about keeping on task, and not being discouraged by failure? Any support groups? I want my life back.

MikeyC

I have made this resolution so many times it's almost a habit and I have failed every time.

I hope for better luck for you.

WeirdyMcGee

If you aren't seeing a therapist yet, I would suggest finding someone to help out.
They often know of support groups in your area that could help you if you're okay with meeting with people who are like you.

Making lists can help if you can force yourself to complete the tasks you set-- but if you can't, then a list is just a constant reminder of failure... haha (that's what my lists are for me)

Becoming more active physically and eating/sleeping properly can also help with overall mood, energy and positivity.

I'm still working on it.

Boby

Has anyone made this resolution before?

Every day lol,for me the next day is always the BIG DAY,the day when I begin improving my life...of course I fail right in the morning when I can't to wake up when to clock alarm goes on.

Waybuloo

The only reason I get occasional pangs of panic about my lack of a career is due to social conditioning. When I think about it, I don't really want a career. A career doesn't really mean anything without the value of what you actually do. You can be a dedicated cleaner and I have absolute respect for that - you are doing a job that very few people would do and show respect for. If you are a lawyer for a big corp to quash class action from people who suffered as a result of negligence, then that has less social value than a cleaner. Most people don't realise this and my understanding of this social conditioning coupled with my need for approval from society make me insecure in this regard.

When you reach a certain age you will not care so much about needing to do certain things that are valued by society. I've reached an age where I don't care about how I look to people. It doesn't mean I let myself go, but I don't dwell on imperfections or dress to trend. Maybe this acceptance will keep progressing.

Richey

The only reason I get occasional pangs of panic about my lack of a career is due to social conditioning. When I think about it, I don't really want a career. A career doesn't really mean anything without the value of what you actually do. You can be a dedicated cleaner and I have absolute respect for that - you are doing a job that very few people would do and show respect for. If you are a lawyer for a big corp to quash class action from people who suffered as a result of negligence, then that has less social value than a cleaner. Most people don't realise this and my understanding of this social conditioning coupled with my need for approval from society make me insecure in this regard.

When you reach a certain age you will not care so much about needing to do certain things that are valued by society. I've reached an age where I don't care about how I look to people. It doesn't mean I let myself go, but I don't dwell on imperfections or dress to trend. Maybe this acceptance will keep progressing.

A career is completely different to a genuine honest interest and hobby in my opinion, because a genuine and honest interst or hobby doesn't involve all the bull!*%@ that jobs involve which ultimatley come down to time, skill, organisation skills and money.

Most jobs I hear the guilt trips to employees of "remember we're paying you for being here". They expect a fast pace and often many mini projects at once are given to you.

For those that do very well in careers they usually are intelligent in a conformist sense, meaning they like to learn about the tasks, want to please the managers and also like to play the game of networking in a business sense. They also tend to learn the business language of dealing with staff and what is correct and incorrect etc. So much crap involved.

I feel like Henry Rollins in that I really do rebel against what doesn't feel right and natural and i usually just feel caged for 8 hours, and i've never gotten my head around the crap that revolves in a regular job, i am usually late and i leave right on the dot, i never stay later unless i have to. Its all about money, supply, demand and that is it. Repetitive tasks every single day and feeling weird around management because there is an obvious culture and showing off of egos that i simply do not care about. Even if the job is the field that i wanted to be in, the novelty of that quickly passes because it is not the same as going to school and learning about that subject or field.

I have worked in a restaurant and everyone there were mesirable and were expected to work at way too fast a pace. it is just not natural.

Then in a trade and it was the same thing again, only i liked the fact that i could be outside and could move around more, and there is down time.

Then i worked for a corporation and its exaclty the same only its not working with hands and expected to be super quick. It is replying to a thousand emails, being given 100 projects at once and you are expected to type it all up and complete it very quickly. But wait a minute........You are just about to finish after weeks and then a meeting is called....They decide to scrap that project and you are then given 3 new important projects to replace it.

Give me a break..its a joke..

Of course i have belief that there is a great job out there waiting for me that will suit me.

Last edited:

chepei

I make these kinds of resolutions every year. I'll be 29 soon, and of course I haven't followed through.
My problem is I don't work and I have no insurance so it's tough to pay for professional help. You can try looking for SA support groups by contacting others on the forum who live in the same area as you...or see if there is a local SA group on the meetup.com site. Back in the day when I did have a one or two reliable friends to hang out with and share my personal woes, I felt slightly more motivated and positive.
Perhaps you can try volunteering in a place that interests you and may seem comfortable. I'm only listing ideas that I've thought of for myself.

Gaucho

Every day lol,for me the next day is always the BIG DAY,the day when I begin improving my life...of course I fail right in the morning when I can't to wake up when to clock alarm goes on.

lol, happens to me. but i use to think between longer time periods. like this: this summer I'm going to do this and that" or " before this summer I'm gonna have done that so i can be/have/do this other thing". its damn pathetic. because like this my time is going by and at the end I'm still at the same place in the same situation. even after years lol.

the key is to be in the present, but damn thats hard.

dyingtolive

Baby steps. One day at a time.

One thing that I want to draw strength from are those crazy situations at my job where i was forced (still am) to get alot of work done in a short period of time. It really tests and molds you. And if i can 'get that done' why cant i get something I want done..

Ok, forget my SA. i've accepted it, but there are other things that I can get done. And just give myself time. Patience is the other side of it too I guess.

Another thing, progress is not linear. It can come in short bursts, then long stagnations. It's crazy, but if we just honestly and whole heartedly keep at it..

razzle dazzle rose

I feel like i haven't developed as a person at all, and everything in my life, career, lack of relationships, is stagnating.

I want to do something about it, reach out to people again, be ambitious about my career again. Better late than never. Has anyone made this resolution before? Know how to go about keeping on task, and not being discouraged by failure? Any support groups? I want my life back.

Ah, yes. Me too! I wrote a post here a few months back about all the things I was going to do to get over my SA. I have not made as much progress as I hoped I would by now. My problem is that I want changes and progress to happen overnight. I am very impatient. And I move really slowly...

I am tired of living like this. Like I am waiting for something to happen. I want to live my life. I can do it, yet, I don't put forth the effort needed to make it happen. Why not? I don't know... Time goes by so fast and it gives me so much anxiety. I feel like there is not enough time, yet I have all this time.

I have found this support group helpful. I don't feel as alone. But I need more. I need therapy with an experienced therapist. Not sure how that is gonna happen as I have no insurance and no money. In the end I have to do the work regardless and that is the hard part. No one can do it for me.

I find keeping a journal of accountability and having quantifiable goals (send out 10 resumes in one week, have 1 meaningful connection this month) really helps, especially if you share it with a friend. I've just started a journal and have set some goals and I'm already feeling motivated again. Maybe you should give it a shot.

I like this suggestion. I have a journal but don't use it. My motivation comes and goes. I just don't know how to stay focused.

Another thing, progress is not linear. It can come in short bursts, then long stagnations. It's crazy, but if we just honestly and whole heartedly keep at it..

This is true. Setbacks happen. I have lived most all my life just trying to survive...to keep my head above water. That takes up most all the energy I have. But gotta keep moving forward and not give up.

twiggle

I sometimes wonder if maybe we put too much emphasis on what we're going to 'do', as in, the tangible things like - applying for some jobs; doing daily exercise etc etc. These are all very important and can do wonders when you achieve them, but the problem is that we place too much importance on having some kind of 'visible' evidence of how far we've come in our recovery. We expect results and if we don't get them we feel discouraged and possibly even feel less motivated to attempt again. But what I'm trying to say is - don't underestimate the progress that is happening inside. It may seem as though thinking and dwelling on the S.A isn't doing any good but hey - acknowledging the problem is sometimes the trickiest step. You are gaining a clearer understanding of yourself just by feeling the way you do. Any attempts you make to re-discover your old self , and 'get back out there' are progress even if you don't get the visible results you wish for. The bottom line is: There's nothing to lose in trying these things out. Nothing to lose and everything to gain. You may not get the results you intended, life doesn't always lend us a helping hand - but you're doing something. Something more than you've been doing for the past 6 or 7 years.

Robin Yiu

I sometimes wonder if maybe we put too much emphasis on what we're going to 'do', as in, the tangible things like - applying for some jobs; doing daily exercise etc etc. These are all very important and can do wonders when you achieve them, but the problem is that we place too much importance on having some kind of 'visible' evidence of how far we've come in our recovery. We expect results and if we don't get them we feel discouraged and possibly even feel less motivated to attempt again. But what I'm trying to say is - don't underestimate the progress that is happening inside. It may seem as though thinking and dwelling on the S.A isn't doing any good but hey - acknowledging the problem is sometimes the trickiest step. You are gaining a clearer understanding of yourself just by feeling the way you do. Any attempts you make to re-discover your old self , and 'get back out there' are progress even if you don't get the visible results you wish for. The bottom line is: There's nothing to lose in trying these things out. Nothing to lose and everything to gain. You may not get the results you intended, life doesn't always lend us a helping hand - but you're doing something. Something more than you've been doing for the past 6 or 7 years.

Agreed. I think we place too much importance on visible evidence, for a lot knowledge is usually gained in small fragments and alone, mostly have no visible application. Like each experience as collecting a single piece of a jigsaw puzzle, eventually we see.

I don't think people who want to progress put too much emphasis on what they're going to do, but rather they put too much emphasis on the results. Not realizing is that each experience, regardless of result, is a gift of knowledge.