Do you think this article is true?

Dead_on_Arrival

I think it is a very grey area with repect to depression or anxiety.

There are times when I think about what I'm going through as if I was on the outside looking in and yes it makes me feel depressed, but knowing that I need to change, and can change, is one of the things that keeps me going. I went to my doctor about my problems and activley sought help. I was refered to a therapist who has helped me learn control techniques to try and ease the way I feel and my battle against the actions I perform to eradicate the thoughts I get. It has worked to some extent and I am continuing to try new techniques all the time. I know I am never going to rid myself of my problems but I now know I can at least have some form of control over them.

So in some respect it is true but I believe in the long term no it is not.
Thats just my opinion, each and everyone else will have their own...:)

Flyingheart

Thanks for the answer, I'm glad to hear you can control your problems.
Well, I dislike the way I am, always beating myself down, but I was wondering whether I'd have to accept that I'm this way first before I can change anything...if that makes any sense.

Dead_on_Arrival

Yes it does make sense. Although I am learning control it still regularly becomes too much. I'd rather not accept the way I am and hope for permanent change for the better even though thats not going to happen.

thomas90

Yeah, i think that the message is "learn to except yourself just as you are"

Which i agree with :)

Flyingheart

Yes, that's exactly what I hope for too. Sometimes, miraculously, it does happen but never for too long and then I become very disappointed. I usually change very suddenly then drop very low the next, I don't know whether I should be gradually getting better.

Yeah i do agree with it. But not to be negative or anything, if someone feels that a little change will make them happier i see nothing wrong with it. Like if a person has a bad health and thinks a little exercise will help them,then what's wrong with giving it a try? Haha I'm not sure if what i just said is even relevant here. Ignore this if its not lol.

coyote

great article

the point is not to accept what's "wrong" and do nothing about it

but rather to consider yourself acceptable as a whole - including the things that are "wrong" - while working to improve yourself

it has to do with creating your reality in the present, in the now

if you think "I need to change" - that is a future action - it will always remain in the future for as long as you think that thought

if you think "I WILL change" - again, that's in the future, and will remain so as long as you hold onto that thought

if you think "something is wrong" - then it will remain "wrong" as long as you think that thought

so, the idea is to reframe our thinking to something like "Everything IS acceptable the way it is, I AM doing the best I can, and I AM working to improve myself." - so that you create what it is you want in the present - so that it remains in the present

because there is only the present

the future is always the future, and the past is always the past - if we create the world we live in there, that's where it will always be

JamesSmith

This is what doesn't make sense about all the people who try to give people suffering from SA advice. So many people will try to tell you that, "You are fine the way you are," or "don't change yourself to please other people."

Well, most of these people with SA are unhappy with the way they are and have no choice but to change themselves to please other people. Unfortunately, happiness doesn't solely lie from within. That inner peace, Ghandi, spirituality stuff (whatever you want to call it) is destined to fail you eventually, I know from experience.

The truth is that the only way to be complete is to enough connections with other people to be happy and comfortable with who you are. It is a myth that inner happiness is necessary before you are able to connect with others. In fact, it's the opposite; you must achieve personal connections with others in order to receive inner happiness.

Positivity and confidence are not created from self, they are attained from the outside (meaning successful connections with other people). You can try to be positive all you want, but if you don't talk to enough people, it's only fake positivity and lying to yourself, which will give you disappointment.

Flyingheart

Well, most of these people with SA are unhappy with the way they are and have no choice but to change themselves to please other people.

It is a myth that inner happiness is necessary before you are able to connect with others. In fact, it's the opposite; you must achieve personal connections with others in order to receive inner happiness.

I don't know if this is true, I may be wrong, but for me personally, I don't feel that I need to change to please other people. I feel that I need to change to please myself, in order to make conversation with others. Because if I'm happy with myself and happy in general, I can interact with others without feeling low in self esteem or having negative thoughts about myself. I'm happy and free to do anything that I want, whether it's to wash the dishes or simply watch TV. I don't know if that makes sense at all.
Maybe that is just me though; connecting with people hasn't made me happy. They can say that I'm great and they love my shoes and we may even have similar likes and dislikes but it doesn't make a difference if I am bogged with thoughts of unworthiness and self-criticism.
But I find that if I see the positive in everything and am self-confident in myself, I connect better with other people. I've found that people relate well to positiveness but again, connecting with others is not my main concern, my happiness is.
My own opinion though :)

Last edited: