Do you have ANYONE to talk to (offline)?

Kristina223

I was just wondering if you have anyone in "real life" that knows about your problems, listens to you, somebody you can talk to? A family member, a friend, a therapist ...

EscapeArtist

My younger sister.
Unfortunately she is really sensitive to seeing me in pain, and talking about things that pain me tend to pain her more than I. So I try not to as much as possible, and instead listen to her. So, she really doesn't know how things are going for me, but she knows what issues i'm dealing with.

Therapist, but I see her like once a month. So every time I see her again, I am nervous all over again because it's been so long.

I had 2 friends I could talk to about this in real life. Unfortunately, I haven't seen one of them in... almost a year now =[ =[ =[ which is really sad, because I love her to death, her sister is suffering with SA/depression too and she is just a really good person! She still contacts me with little comments like "Thinking of you!" and such which is so sweet, especially in times like these, and after a year of not seeing somebody!

The other friend I'm kind of pushing myself away from just now -sigh- I just feel they have a lot less understanding about this and it makes me way uncomfortable. We're kinda awkward around eachother/don't have much to bond over... So..

planemo

No one, I'm afraid. I had one best mate in High School but I didn't share anything with him though. But he was such a good friend I felt like I never had many issues around him. But in University our different schedules meant we couldn't keep the friendship going.

As for family, well, I don't really think I mean that much to them for them to sit and listen to what I'm actually going through.

Therapist, is also a dead end for me. Anything healthcare and wellness related over here is super expensive, so unless you're very very rich you tend to miss out.

Bones

No, I once told my older sister, but we were both drunk so I don't think she remembers, and I once told my GP, but I get the impression he didn't believe in SA as he told me to "be brave" and sent me away.
So no, I don't have no-one to talk to although I have tried.

Lexus199

I had a friend that I kinda talked with sometimes but then he moved away all the way to Germany. In general I'm hesitant about sharing my problems with anyone I know in real life. I don't really count my counselor because I pay him to talk to me. ::p:

Forgotten-Children

Really the only person I can talk to when I'm upset since I don't see my therapist anymore is my boyfriend. I can never talk to my parents when I'm upset. :/ I always feel like they'd take it the wrong way or won't care.

Feathers

It depends what problems they are, and who I can talk with.. I can talk about some problems with some people and about different problems with different people.. Sometimes mom or others can be understanding, sometimes not so much/just made it feel worse, so, hm? It depends...

What about you, Kristina?

Snowdrop

My mum and dad know and I think my brother knows too. But I don't know why, I don't feel comfortable talking about it to them. 1. I always cry, and there's no exception. 2.Maybe it's because I just hate seeing them upset and 'seeing' the 'reality' if that makes sense. I usually go ages without saying anything to them about my problem but I know especially my mum cares and wants to talk about it.
But I don't know, I just feel more comfortable talking to strangers, and on here about it :S Sometimes when she hints that she wants to talk I feel like I'm running away but I have talked to her quite a few times before. It's just once I fall back into my 'comfort zone' I don't want to talk about it anymore. But the problem is there, it's always there.

Kinetik

Well, I have no friends due to being avoidant. I talk to my family occasionally but I don't trust them much because they tend to gossip about me and use any information I give them against me, so I often regret opening up to them. I'm tired of the conversation revolving around how they're 'worried' about me, and even if they don't say they are, I can sense them patronizing me which is equally annoying. It's either that or they're full of bad advice that I can't or won't follow. I don't understand why they always want to weigh in on me and my situation. I don't go over their places and tell them how to live their lives. I do have a therapist that I go to once every two weeks, so I do get to vent somewhat, but other than that, I keep it all to myself.

Last edited:

SilverRain

For me, it's my GP and Psychiatrist. This has a limit however, because when I do I can't express anything by word of mouth, so I always rely on writing my feelings down before the appointments and just handing them the papers when I'm there. My GP is very kind and always willing to take the time to read whatever I bring, but I'm always afraid that generally people will grow impatient with my inability to communicate using my voice, so I feel I have to keep my notes as brief and to the point as I can - which can be frustrating when I really want to vent. Most of the time I just write stuff down on the computer or on a notepad I carry with me, without necessarily showing those notes to anyone. Sometimes it just feels good to get it out into words.

I am very fortunate to be able to talk to my mum. She is the only one offline.
She does not really understand my SA but at least she listens when I need to talk.
If I did not have her I would have been dead years ago.

DespairSoul

Hello,

this is really good question. DO I have someone? First time what i was sharing this with someone was my mother but she dont helped me much she more support me in my SA as help me rid of it coz i was always stubborn and dont want to go no where for help. I was just silly believing how was fast coming maybe will also fast go. Ofcourse deep inside i was feeling that is only my fantasy that i will so easy rid of it. After 7 years i finally told this my sisters(1 year ago) but trough internet and i tell u was damnn so hard as hell. Yes and too my frends with wich ones i too dont meet never coz they travel all the time and i can count only one of them to wich i will tell my story(to much ashamed open my heart anyway for me). And my boyfrend for one side he dont lisen so much my issues coz he dont understand this much otherwise he is great but in this he dont know what to do with me at all.

Then i must say like result of this everything no i dont have no one with who i can talk about it clearly with understanding with out opening mouth an eyes like tennis balls.

Blaze

I don't discuss my issues with anyone in RL. My mother knows and understands, my father is just ignorant and thinks I'm shy and unmotivated, and my sister rags on me from time to time which is just awesome having a younger sibling telling you "you need a life".

I don't have any friends to talk to anymore, I've pushed everyone away for the most part. I don't even maintain contact with anyone online anymore, just the occasional reply to my comments on a forum board. If it wasn't for work forcing me into interacting with PEOPLE I'd go insane I think.

lunaticbinge

If I were to try to talk to my friend about it, he would just call me a pussy. My mom always goes back to the "Just get over it" statements. Meh